+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Contracts Signed

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour View Post
    For me I am sorry to see Jones leave. Yes he wnt through a long patch where he was absolutely dreadul. Seemed like he had lost the plot and his confidence.

But when he returned to the team he was a completely different player. He fitted into our midfield immediately. Our team was better balanced. Gave Ng the ability to once again show what an excellent attacking wingback he is, something he was unable to do in our first 18 games. Jones also offered more protection to our centrebacks. For the last 18 games it made life for our centrebacks easier. Wintle and Jones closed down most of our opponents attacking moves, leaving the centreback only the scraps to clean up. Probably made them look better than they actually were. Contrary to some popular belief in our last 18 games our points total was actually better and our goal diff. was an improvement. I know that in the area I sit the general opinion was that our football before the lockdown was our most entertaining.

In the next season I think he would have been an impotant part of the team, and would not have been sitting on the bench for most of our games. Feel it is essential to replace him with another player who has the same qualities.
    We have a large number of midfield players already it is probably the one area that doesn't need further replacements, I think you are over doing the contribution made by Jones this season, yes he came good in the last couple of games and didn't look out of place but Lowey was probably higher up the pecking order but picked up an injury. There is only one player we would struggle to replace and that is Wintle if you were talking about him I would agree with your comment. As for players with the same qualities we already have them.

We have lost 2 from midfield already so will need at least one replacement, unless there is sufficient cover coming through.

I’m with lukcour on this. After Green started to show his age Jones stepped into his position and filled it. Now we have lost both of them and, whilst we aren’t short of midfielders, we are short of one like them. Wintle is clearly the ***** cog in our side, but he needs someone alongside him to be his water carrier, up and down the pitch, put his foot in and make a bloody nuisance of himself.... and a lot more besides.

Now I have a lot of time for Lowery, Ainley and Finney, but that’s not their game. Dave might have plans for Perry or Pixie in that role (or even Offord) but the long and the short of it is we will need a replacement and, as has been pointed out, we have the salaries of both Jones and Green to pay for it.

I also agree with Lukour. We need a player like Green and Jones in midfield. Someone to do the leg work.

Yep, agree. Is what I should have been more specific about in my comment. So, we all agree!

Still not heard about Adebisi!!!!
    Any other rumours flying about. (don't mention Pixie and Liverpool)

I believe that Pickering is the most naturally talented and gifted player in our team. Definitely the best leftback in league2. With the right coaching think he could go all the way. Shows similar qualities of Robertson. But have a suspicion he could become even a better midfielder.

I said don't mention....😁
    So.....
    other rumours????

So 1 signed and one extended.
    Leagues 1 and 2 wrapped up. Maybe only 7 weeks to new season. Where's Adebisi?
    Where's another CH, midfielder, maybe even another full back?

I think we have to accept that squads are going to be smaller and we can’t expect like for like in every position. We are in a better position than many in that we have the youngsters to cover - not only do they slot in to the ‘Crewe way’, they’re also cheap! Look at our first team squad for last season and how many played fewer than 10 matches? I see a CB and possibly midfielder arriving and that’s it - then into the loans market for anyone else.

Also, there are likely to be a lot of decent players released by Championship clubs in a fortnights time, looking for clubs and not in a position to be demanding over wages.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast