Quote Originally Posted by lukcour View Post
For me I am sorry to see Jones leave. Yes he wnt through a long patch where he was absolutely dreadul. Seemed like he had lost the plot and his confidence.

But when he returned to the team he was a completely different player. He fitted into our midfield immediately. Our team was better balanced. Gave Ng the ability to once again show what an excellent attacking wingback he is, something he was unable to do in our first 18 games. Jones also offered more protection to our centrebacks. For the last 18 games it made life for our centrebacks easier. Wintle and Jones closed down most of our opponents attacking moves, leaving the centreback only the scraps to clean up. Probably made them look better than they actually were. Contrary to some popular belief in our last 18 games our points total was actually better and our goal diff. was an improvement. I know that in the area I sit the general opinion was that our football before the lockdown was our most entertaining.

In the next season I think he would have been an impotant part of the team, and would not have been sitting on the bench for most of our games. Feel it is essential to replace him with another player who has the same qualities.
We have a large number of midfield players already it is probably the one area that doesn't need further replacements, I think you are over doing the contribution made by Jones this season, yes he came good in the last couple of games and didn't look out of place but Lowey was probably higher up the pecking order but picked up an injury. There is only one player we would struggle to replace and that is Wintle if you were talking about him I would agree with your comment. As for players with the same qualities we already have them.