+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Macclesfield

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I wonder if you would have said that if it was Notts bottom and relegated?
    Without a shadow of a doubt, Stevenage deserve to go down. They had an absolutely awful season and if Notts were in the same position, whilst I'd hang on all hope we'd get a reprieve, I don't think I'd complain if we went through the trap door (like I didn't when we actually did!

But Maccesfield are another Bury in the making. The EFL are probably hoping to get shot so they don't have another fiasco ala Bury. I feel for the fans of Maccesfield as their fate is due to the boardroom and not what was going on out on the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Without a shadow of a doubt, Stevenage deserve to go down. They had an absolutely awful season and if Notts were in the same position, whilst I'd hang on all hope we'd get a reprieve, I don't think I'd complain if we went through the trap door (like I didn't when we actually did!
    I think the same way, we were so pathetically poor last season that finishing 23rd actually flattered us. If a points deduction for another club might have saved us then I would have grabbed it with both hands, but my rational side would still have seen it as a travesty of justice.

Macclesfield have been relegated it seems. Will they now be accepted into the National League?

Macclesfield have been relegated it seems. Will they now be accepted into the National League?
    Macclesfield Town have been relegated to the National League after the English Football League won an appeal against a points deduction.

The decision means a reprieve for Stevenage, who will retain their League Two status.

Macclesfield had been given a suspended four-point sanction, but that will be applied immediately, dropping the Silkmen to the foot of the table.

The EFL said an independent panel's decision was "final and binding".

Macclesfield appeared to have escaped relegation in June, after coronavirus ended the League Two season early, when they were docked two points, with four suspended, for breaches of regulations relating to non-payment of wages.

It left them one point above Stevenage in the table, but the appeal decision means they finish three points below their rivals, having been deducted 17 points in total over the course of the 2019-20 season, across three disciplinary cases.

Macclesfield and Stevenage drew 2-2 when the two sides met last August - the return game did not take place because of Covid-19
    An EFL statement said: "An independent arbitration panel has upheld the EFL's appeal in respect of the outcome of an independent disciplinary commission who in June 2020 had considered misconduct charges brought against Macclesfield Town.

"The charges related to failing to pay a number of players on the applicable payment dates due in March 2020, failing to act with utmost good faith in respect of matters with the EFL and for breaching an order, requirement, direction or instruction of the league.

"The arbitration panel confirmed that the two-point suspended sporting sanction activated on 19 June 2020 from previous proceedings will stand and in addition the four point deduction, originally suspended in the latest proceedings and only to be activated in the event of a further breach of regulation 63.7 during season 2020-21, will be activated immediately and applied to the 2019-20 table.

"Today's outcome leaves Macclesfield Town in 24th position in the table on 19 points with a points per game (PPG) total of 23.62, resulting in the club's relegation into the National League."

More to follow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53744939

I hate to say I told you so but Macc have been playing a dangerous game for a couple of season's now and not surprisingly the EFL wanted rid.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I hate to say I told you so but Macc have been playing a dangerous game for a couple of season's now and not surprisingly the EFL wanted rid.
    Stevenage stay up having won 3 games all season!

I did say months ago that Macclesfield would got relegated and the NL would likely put them into NLN like they did with Boston in 2007; I think there is every chance that will happen now which would mean a reprieve for Ebbsfleet.

So Stevenage finish with 19 points less than we did in 2018/19 and remain in the Football League.

Good grief.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Stevenage stay up having won 3 games all season!
    Only because Ardley got us relegated the season before or it would have been 4 or 5?

Quote Originally Posted by Chinawhite1000 View Post
    I did say months ago that Macclesfield would got relegated and the NL would likely put them into NLN like they did with Boston in 2007; I think there is every chance that will happen now which would mean a reprieve for Ebbsfleet.
    Boston went into administration also though which ment they ended up in NLN. I don't believe Macc are in admin just yet but there's still time.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast