+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoffs- What nobody has mentioned yet

Playoffs- What nobody has mentioned yet

There's a lot of talk about who we want to play etc. But nobody has mentioned the fact that whoever we play (Yeovil or Barnet) will have had a competitive match before we actually play them. Whoever wins that game will totally fancy their chances st a deserted Meadow Lane, with Notts having played a friendly or two.

Imagine the scenario...Barnet beat Yeovil, they have a win and match fitness under their belt. We're favourites, but haven't played a competitive game yet to get back in to the seing of things.

Plus the game is on TV.

Well, back to Dover we go next season then (sorry, I'm not usually this cynical but the odds stack up against us).

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    There's a lot of talk about who we want to play etc. But nobody has mentioned the fact that whoever we play (Yeovil or Barnet) will have had a competitive match before we actually play them. Whoever wins that game will totally fancy their chances st a deserted Meadow Lane, with Notts having played a friendly or two.

Imagine the scenario...Barnet beat Yeovil, they have a win and match fitness under their belt. We're favourites, but haven't played a competitive game yet to get back in to the seing of things.

Plus the game is on TV.

Well, back to Dover we go next season then (sorry, I'm not usually this cynical but the odds stack up against us).

Geez MM and I thought I was the negative one! Given the position we were in this time last year it is brilliant that we have a chance to get back into the football league at the first time of asking and if we don’t do it then so be it. Nevertheless I have a warm feeling about our chances of success and surely if God wears black and white he will make sure there is no repeat of the bad luck we suffered in our last play off experience.

Is it not written in the stars that Stead will score the winning goal to keep us in this league?

The playoffs is always something of a lottery as we well know. I think we just go into it with an open mind. I didn't expect them to happen so as far as I am concerned I am already ahead, not withstanding we have the longest unbeaten run in the Vanarama. I am however confident we can do well against any of the teams we have to meet. The true test of Neal Ardley commences now and to get top 3 in the first season is a quality effort ultimately. We are on the way back.

The circumstances mean that the play-offs this year are a lottery.

I doubt that one extra game for Barnet / Yeovil will make much difference so I'm not verly worried by that. However, I am a little concerned that we need the team to be fired up for this whereas Ardleys management style appears to be to build confidence over time.

We haven't been great at coming out of the blocks fast this season, even when we've been playing well. I really hope that we seize the opportunity but at the moment there is no favourite - it's a new pre-season really.

And as Manc points out its on TV - maybe we can finally put on some convincing performances in front of the cameras?

Even if things go against us, I'll view the season as a success, given where we were back in July. And I have confidence in the future, regardless of which league we are in next season. We have (hopefully) a stable ownership situation and a manager who appears to have a good eye for a player.

Which would people rather, battling it out in the top 4 of the NL next season or struggling in the bottom 6 of League Two? I know, you'd rather be in the top 4 of League Two, but we may have to wait a while for that.

Will being at home help us?

They said last night that in the Bundesliga there have been 55 games with only 11 home wins but 26 away wins.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Will being at home help us?

They said last night that in the Bundesliga there have been 55 games with only 11 home wins but 26 away wins.
    I think it would against Yeovil, you'd have to assume they travel on the day at the moment which has to go in our favour.

As others have said let's be thankful we finally have a chance to stake our claim for promotion. As for all the doom mongering let's see what happens eh. The players shouldn't need any motivation for this, Ardley has his lieutenants in the likes of Doyle and JOB in the changing room to ensure this happens and regarding the TV bit, I think we put that one to bed with the 3-0 win over Chesterfailed.

COME ON YOU MIGHTY MAGPIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, everyone assuming we will be playing Harrogate if we make the final, personally I think it will be Halifax.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast