+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T FAO Mich

O/T FAO Mich

Mich, you a basketball fan? I've never really been into it but I've just finished watching the Netflix series 'The Last Dance' about The Bulls in the 90's.
    What a program. Even if you don't like the sport or know little about it it draws you in and it's compulsive viewing.
    The interviews with Jordan, Pippen and Rodman are fascinating and what a competitor Michael Jordan was.
    His will to win at all costs makes him the sporting legend he is.
    Also Phil Jackson, what a coach.

Absolute brilliant stuff, the footage is breathtaking.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by dogead View Post
    Mich, you a basketball fan? I've never really been into it but I've just finished watching the Netflix series 'The Last Dance' about The Bulls in the 90's.
    What a program. Even if you don't like the sport or know little about it it draws you in and it's compulsive viewing.
    The interviews with Jordan, Pippen and Rodman are fascinating and what a competitor Michael Jordan was.
    His will to win at all costs makes him the sporting legend he is.
    Also Phil Jackson, what a coach.

Absolute brilliant stuff, the footage is breathtaking.

I'd recommend it to anyone.
    I was lucky to move out here in the 80s just in time to enjoy the unforgettable clashes between the Boston Celtics [Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish etc] and the LA Lakers [Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Robert Worthy et al]. Haven't seen basketball like it since and probably never will, the atmosphere in these games was incredible, especially those played on the old parquet floor in the Boston Gardens.

I pretty much lost interest in the game when Michael Jordan finally left it. Even though we have had some great Rockets teams since, something has gone out of the game [or come into it] and it just isn't for me anymore.

I am a big basketball fan and coach a couple youth teams during the winter months.

But I am a Pistons fan and the Bulls were a bitter rival, though I wasn’t born/very young when it was at its height. But I won a few Pistons’ playoff series on DVD that I will watch every now and then. So I’m not a big MJ fan and one thing that soured me on the documentary was that he had final say in edits. It ignored the fact that before game 4 of the 91 Eastern Conference Finals - when the Pistons refused to shake the Bulls’ hands after the series was over - that MJ and a couple other Bulls said the Pistons were not worthy of being champions. This despite the fact that the Pistons won back-to-back NBA Titles in 89 and 90. That is why the Pistons didn’t shake their hands. But MJ wouldn’t let something like that be acknowledged.

That said, the documentary was well done overall. Lots of good footage and brings back a lot of memories.

I don’t know what other sports documentaries are available on Netflix over there, but my other recommendations are:
    1 - OJ: Made in America
    2 - Fab Five
    3 - Bad Boys
    4 - King’s Ransom
    5 - The Two Escobars
    6 - June 17, 1994

Interesting. Jordan made the Pistons out to be extremely physical and (according to Jordan) quite dirty, the footage shown shows this.
    If this was edited through Jordan would you say the footage put the Pistons in a bad light or were they actually that aggressive?

Oh, they were a very physical team. But that was also the nature of the game in the 80s and early 90s. You can watch old Celtics and Lakers games and you’d see similar physical play. Knicks of the 90s were a very physical team as well. There were Bulls players that gave as much as they got.

Jordan hated the Pistons, for good reason. They beat him early and often the first half of his career. He hated Isiah Thomas and kept him off the Dream Team in the 92 Olympics. And while Jordan denies this, there are multiple players and coaches from that team that confirm it was Jordan that kept him off it.

Jordan made sure he had final say on edits for the documentary. It was still well done, but humanized him too much. Jordan is, and was, pretty insufferable as a person. Doubt he ever had many friends when he was an adult. Maybe the price to pay for greatness for some.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)