+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would make your playoff starting 11?

Lightbulb Who would make your playoff starting 11?

I'll probably get slated for even suggesting this haha but I'll kick us off with this -

Name:  NOTTS2.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  11.1 KB

Link if picture is too small - https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/5...5ac404cc469b43

That would be my starting 11 based on who I feel are our strongest players, very attacking minded and asking a lot of Cal and Enzio to track back when required. Harsh on Brindley/DKE/McCrory etc to miss out I know. I just feel that in full flowing attack we now have such exciting players in the final third that would causes havoc against any defence at this level.

In my head I predict that Ardley is highly likely to want to include Rose somewhere however and prefers 4 at the back which is fine with me too, I'm just buzzing for us to be in this position given where we were 12 months ago.

Thoughts? COYP!
    Last edited by CheezyNCFC; 20-06-2020 at 01:33 PM.

I can see what you’re wanting to do with that team but personally I think it’s asking for trouble. Asking Roberts and Enzio to play as both wingbacks and wing forwards just won’t work. Their strengths are going forward, why make them have to think about defending as well.

Agree about Rose and I can guarantee you that short of injury or a dip in fitness both he and Doyle will start. What you have to remember is we can use 5 subs so there should be at least two possible game plans depending on who is on the pitch. This will have an impact on team selection depending on how we think the opposition will line up.

As we are at home first game NA I’m sure will go 442, and I think I would as well so here’s my guess at first game starting 11:

Slocombe
    Brindley Lacey Rawlinson McCrory
    Roberts Rose Doyle Enzio
    Wootton Thomas

Then imagine we still have a choice of the following players off the bench;

Dennis
    Crawford
    Booty
    Turner
    DKE
    JOB
    Osborne
    Long
    Wilson

Glad I’m not the one having to choose from that lot!

In the final few weeks before the lockdown Ardley seemed to settle on his best formation for utilising this squad, which is a 4-3-3. The type of players we have can be interchanged quite easily within that formation and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the blueprint going forward.

Originally I think he favoured 4-4-2, but that puts a huge amount of strain on the two central midfielders and as fit as Doyle is for his age, I think it saw the energy in the team drop and results vary, especially when we were playing three games a week. 4-3-3 means Doyle can sit in front of the defence and read the game rather than having to run and tackle over a wide area. Plus, since Roberts arrived we've now got several wide players who can genuinely offer a goal threat too.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I think it saw the energy in the team drop and results vary, especially when we were playing three games a week.
    We haven't played more than two games a week all season.

Cheezy, I think that's too bold for NA. And I don't like the look of the those 3 centre-backs....

I think Jeekay's probably spot on with this

Slocombe
    Roberts Rose Doyle Enzio
    Wootton Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    We haven't played more than two games a week all season.
    Sorry I've slipped into football manager speak!

You know what I mean though: Saturday - Tuesday/Wednesday - Saturday

When you've only got three or four days' recovery between games it's puts a strain on all players, but especially those in their late thirties.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Cheezy, I think that's too bold for NA. And I don't like the look of the those 3 centre-backs....

I think Jeekay's probably spot on with this

Slocombe
    Roberts Rose Doyle Enzio
    Wootton Thomas
    Don't even get credit for me own post!

We only have 2 games at most - although they could be 120 minutes each.
    I'm more worried about our so called "Home Advantage".
    Out of 11 championship games today there was only 1 home win and 6 away.
    Perhaps he will have to set up as if it is an away match.

Anyone know how many subs can now be named in NL playoffs? If ncfcog is correct with 9 I’m surprised he didn’t include a second keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    I can see what you’re wanting to do with that team but personally I think it’s asking for trouble. Asking Roberts and Enzio to play as both wingbacks and wing forwards just won’t work. Their strengths are going forward, why make them have to think about defending as well.

Agree about Rose and I can guarantee you that short of injury or a dip in fitness both he and Doyle will start. What you have to remember is we can use 5 subs so there should be at least two possible game plans depending on who is on the pitch. This will have an impact on team selection depending on how we think the opposition will line up.

As we are at home first game NA I’m sure will go 442, and I think I would as well so here’s my guess at first game starting 11:

Slocombe
    Roberts Rose Doyle Enzio
    Wootton Thomas

Then imagine we still have a choice of the following players off the bench;

Dennis
    Crawford
    Booty
    Turner
    DKE
    JOB
    Osborne
    Long
    Wilson

Glad I’m not the one having to choose from that lot!
    That's a strong starting 11 and should be extremely competitive. It's probably not far off what it will be. The only one player I'm wondering may start is Dennis because he was in fine form prior to lock down and was working well with Wootton up top. Thomas was coming on as a sub. Then again Dennis is a good super sub.

Neal Ardley certainly has a a multitude of riches to choose from out of that lot.

Let's hope that they all come through pre-playoffs with their fitness intact.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast