+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 79 of 172 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast

Thread: Next manager

I see some of the fans on here being excited at the prospect of McLaren being your next manager, sure he maybe a 'big name' compared to other managers you guys are linked to but by no means does that make him a good manager.

There's a reason why his recent managerial record is the way it is, I mean even watch some of his recent punditry gigs the man hasn't got a clue what day of the week it is half the time. Trust me you do not want Steve McLaren as the next manager at Dundee United, you guys deserve much better than him.

You can mention how well he did at Twente in 2010, or how well he did at Boro in '04 but I'll just point you in the direction of what he did at Wolfsburg, Nottingham Forest, England, Newcastle and QPR.
    Last edited by Mag_Laad; 29-06-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Laad View Post
    I see some of the fans on here being excited at the prospect of McLaren being your next manager, sure he maybe a 'big name' compared to other managers you guys are linked to but by no means does that make him a good manager.

There's a reason why his recent managerial record is the way it is, I mean even watch some of his recent punditry gigs the man hasn't got a clue what day of the week it is half the time. Trust me you do not want Steve McLaren as the next manager at Dundee United, you guys deserve much better than him.

You can mention how well he did at Twente in 2010, or how well he did at Boro in '04 but I'll just point you in the direction of what he did at Wolfsburg, Nottingham Forest, England, Newcastle and QPR.
    Appreciate the info mate. However, the Scottish game is completely different to the English game. His experience and reputation would gain instant respect from the players. A manager with his record of what he has done in the game doesnt become a bad manager overnight.

QPR and Newcastle have gone through multiple managers over the last few years and from the outside looking in appear to be car crash clubs. We've had our 'car-crash' period and we have a bit of stability now, a settled, successful squad that is gearing up to play in the Premiership for the first time in 4 years. I think IF we bring McClaren in, he'll do very well for us.

Newcastle fans hate him. Twitter is full of them, but let's face it, they have been a basket case of a football club over the last 10 years. A club their size should be fighting for European places each year. Poorly managed from the very very top.

Managers, like players, have levels. I'm fairly certain taking a team to play Hamilton or St. Mirren is slightly different to testing yourself against the Bayern Munichs and Man Citys of this world.

Quote Originally Posted by BudMill90 View Post
    His experience and reputation would gain instant respect from the players.
    This is a great point, & something I thought about last night. I'd imagine his reputation has taken a bit of a hit down south. He's no longer the big draw and probably not a manager that these 'prima donna' top level footballers get excited about. Coming to a club like ours however, he'd still have that 'wow' factor and as you say, would almost instantly gain the respect of the players. We're used to guys like Neilson, McNamara, McKinnon ffs. McClaren is on a whole new level.

My thoughts on Malky Mckay a lot said already so trying not to repeat:
    Texts (3?) were indefensible.
    Accept he has worked to educate and rehabilitate himself
    Accept people deserve 2nd chances
    However:
    That doesn’t mean you don’t take the past into consideration when looking at the type of job being looked at.
    I had no real problem with him getting job at SFA, but-
    United manager is more high profile and is much more of a figurehead and crucially-
    United have spent a lot of time and energy investing in an elite academy. A major part of their philosophy is developing not just good footballers but good people, both on and off the park. I think United would have to think long and hard about any potential negative impact his appointment would have on continuing to develop that and how that might be seen by parents of potential academy recruits.
    The academy is probably the most crucial part of United’s long term strategy and I don’t think they will want anything to have even been the slightest potential impact on it.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    This is a great point, & something I thought about last night. I'd imagine his reputation has taken a bit of a hit down south. He's no longer the big draw and probably not a manager that these 'prima donna' top level footballers get excited about. Coming to a club like ours however, he'd still have that 'wow' factor and as you say, would almost instantly gain the respect of the players. We're used to guys like Neilson, McNamara, McKinnon ffs. McClaren is on a whole new level.
    I'd imagine he would be a massive incentive to any new signings too.

I wld rather have McKay over McLaren. McKay Is still a young hungry guy. He will want to prove himself, and no doubt will see the job at Utd as a stepping stone. Which is no bad thing considering the importance of this season for us. McLaren’s name, and the fact that he is an ex England manger far outweighs his credentials, and in my opinion glosses over his many failures. McKay has done everything he can possibly do to rehabilitate himself and giving the genuine names put forward he wld be my choice.

BBC reporting the McClaren link now...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53222387

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    Unless I've missed it i've not read anywhere that he has. Bookies odds probably based on him not getting the Northern Ireland job and being free/available/local.
    Thanks 👍

The tweet from the BBC boy:

Intriguing list of candidates for the @dundeeunitedfc job; former England boss Steve McClaren to be interviewed this afternoon, while Malky McKay, Jon Daly and Austin MacPhee have already been interviewed. Don’t think ex @StJohnstone manager Tommy Wright is a candidate. Just now.

Page 79 of 172 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)