+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 58 of 62 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Well it looks like White Lives don't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Yes they sell out, but the main reason folks turned their backs on Labour was their stance ( or lack of it) on brexit.

Brexit had a thick layer of anti-immigration running through it. Cameron misjudged the mood of the north regarding immigration and its problems and called for the referendum. He mistook quiet people for those that he thought were ok with immigration. They were quiet because of the bile you get if you open your mouth on anti immigration issues. Given a free, anonymous vote though showed that those remaining silent were actually very much against immigration and the free border rules of the EU

Similarly, Labour didn’t learn either. Being very London centric they also thought that immigration was a side issue and the refusal to be pro brexit lost them thousands of votes.

Ignore the north at your peril
    agree with the above.

Back on the original topic, is PC being taken too far? Here there's a movement to change the most popular ice cream van jingle as it has racial undertones. Personally I can't see what's wrong with a tune entitled "Nigger loves a watermelon"

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Back on the original topic, is PC being taken too far? Here there's a movement to change the most popular ice cream van jingle as it has racial undertones. Personally I can't see what's wrong with a tune entitled "Nigger loves a watermelon"
    There’s an Agatha Christie book called “and then there were none”, the last line of a well known poem of similar format to the song “10 green bottles standing on a wall”. However the original title was “10 Little Niggers”

The change to the more PC title was mainly due to the book being released in the USA, which is odd because the US probably at the time was using the n-word more than folks in the U.K.

It was made into a film called “10 Little Niggers” which was an ok title for a few years until PC got to grips with it and it was remade and renamed as “10 Little Indians”

Oops

Taken from the Oxford English Dictionary:

I. Senses referring to people.
    This term is strongly racially offensive when used by a white person in reference to a black person[/B]. In written Black English and written representations of spoken Black English, however, there are usually not the same negative connotations. Recently the term has been reclaimed by some black speakers and used with positive connotations in various senses (esp. in the form nigga: see note in etymology, and senses A. 1c, A. 4, and A. 5). However, even among black speakers, use of the word is problematic because of its potential to give offence, as is clear from the following, from a black speaker:
    1995 N.Y. Times 14 Jan. i. 7 The prosecutor, his voice trembling, added that the ‘N-word’ was so vile that he would not utter it. ‘It's the filthiest, dirtiest, nastiest word in
    the English language,’ Mr. Darden said.
    See also N-word n.

Read up some stuff on power relations in a good sociology book as well and this will reinforce why there is a problem with it. I'm sure thee will be some stuff at GCSE level ansd A level. It aint rocket science its basic stuff.In other words get yourselves educated before speaking about it Grist and Camiller

A taster for you
    https://www.proz.com/kudoz/english/s...relations.html

Its all to do with societal inequalities which spme on here are in total denial about

Ignorance is bliss for some...and probably suits them personally...
    Last edited by rolymiller; 17-08-2020 at 09:46 AM.

Perhaps a better example

http://www.aclrc.com/racism-and-power

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Taken from the Oxford English Dictionary:

I. Senses referring to people.
    This term is strongly racially offensive when used by a white person in reference to a black person[/B]. In written Black English and written representations of spoken Black English, however, there are usually not the same negative connotations. Recently the term has been reclaimed by some black speakers and used with positive connotations in various senses (esp. in the form nigga: see note in etymology, and senses A. 1c, A. 4, and A. 5). However, even among black speakers, use of the word is problematic because of its potential to give offence, as is clear from the following, from a black speaker:
    1995 N.Y. Times 14 Jan. i. 7 The prosecutor, his voice trembling, added that the ‘N-word’ was so vile that he would not utter it. ‘It's the filthiest, dirtiest, nastiest word in
    the English language,’ Mr. Darden said.
    See also N-word n.

Read up some stuff on power relations in a good sociology book as well and this will reinforce why there is a problem with it. I'm sure thee will be some stuff at GCSE level ansd A level. It aint rocket science its basic stuff.In other words get yourselves educated before speaking about it Grist and Camiller

A taster for you
    https://www.proz.com/kudoz/english/s...relations.html

Its all to do with societal inequalities which spme on here are in total denial about

Ignorance is bliss for some...and probably suits them personally...
    roly you will break your neck one of these days falling off that high horse

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    roly you will break your neck one of these days falling off that high horse
    Notice this is a thread you started Lol. Werent you having a pop for people posting political stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Notice this is a thread you started Lol. Werent you having a pop for people posting political stuff.
    What's political about sticking up for White people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    What's political about sticking up for White people.
    Doesnt matter how you justify it but, maybe, dont have a pop at others for posting non football subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Doesnt matter how you justify it but, maybe, dont have a pop at others for posting non football subjects.
    So it now gone from non political to non football related,give it a rest Wan but I do believe the plane flew over a football ground so I’m at least half right

Page 58 of 62 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast