+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free kicks

Free kicks

Did there used to be a rule where if a team gave dissent after a free kick being awarded against them then the ref would pick up the ball and move it forward ten yards? Or have I I imagined this?
    Didn’t it once happen at Tivoli end and nick Daws smashed in a free kick that had been moved into the penalty box?

If this was a thing. Whatever happened to it?

Yep,

Was in for a few seasons I think.

Oh yeah! I’d forgotten all about that rule, they should bring that back.

I think it may have been vs Gillingham when we were both near the bottom of the cship.

Appears it was piloted in the AutoWindscreen Trophy

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...l-rule-changes

That article has stirred the memory when 2 points for home win and 3 for away was trialled

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    Did there used to be a rule where if a team gave dissent after a free kick being awarded against them then the ref would pick up the ball and move it forward ten yards? Or have I I imagined this?
    Didn’t it once happen at Tivoli end and nick Daws smashed in a free kick that had been moved into the penalty box?

If this was a thing. Whatever happened to it?
    I certainly remember the images of referees picking up the ball and 'goose stepping' forward 10 paces. Perfectly fitted their 'little Hitler' personalities. I think sometimes the crowds also used to join in by counting the steps.

I think teams starting getting the ten extra yards on purpose to make it harder for the likes of Beckham to score so they scrapped it

Well considering footballers can't get their heads around 2 metre social distancing then 10 yards was always a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo88 View Post
    I think teams starting getting the ten extra yards on purpose to make it harder for the likes of Beckham to score so they scrapped it
    If that's the case then the ref could have offered the extra yards to the attacking team
    If you didn't have a Barlasser or the slightly inferior Beckham then a team may have taken the closer proximity to goal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast