+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mike Ashley

Mike Ashley

Evidently top of HMRC hit list of furlough abusers. Is he fit and proper to run a football club, even a serial failure / under achiever such as Newcastle

Dunno, he's kept them in the Premier League for a good while, where others have failed. Perhaps, like Mel, he is a brilliant businessman that we shouldn't criticise?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Evidently top of HMRC hit list of furlough abusers. Is he fit and proper to run a football club, even a serial failure / under achiever such as Newcastle
    He only furlough his staff because he was made to close his shops. He wanted to keep them open claiming they were essential As for HMRC nothing will happen . I see Philip Green is second on the list so definitely nothing will happen Long grassed like Jenrick will be

Mista: the suggestion is that, having furloughed them, he then made them work for his businesses, allegedly, yet still claimed the grant. I think HMRC are going to go after a few big names - who knows whether they will succeed - to get back money and "name and shame": which I wholeheartedly endorse

If true, effectively a curiously akin to modern slavery act scenario where you work for me but I don't pay you.

Mista: the suggestion is that, having furloughed them, he then made them work for his businesses, allegedly, yet still claimed the grant. I think HMRC are going to go after a few big names - who knows whether they will succeed - to get back money and "name and shame": which I wholeheartedly endorse

If true, effectively a curiously akin to modern slavery act scenario where you work for me but I don't pay you.
    If you’re correct I hope he gets what should be coming to him.

Can’t help but take mista’s comment on board though...as the recent cases of Green, Jenrick, Cummings and BJ himself would suggest.
    Some just seem to be above the law...it has to change.

Philip Green seems to also be on HMRC radar and the others haven't been involved in furloughs...........I think!!

Philip Green seems to also be on HMRC radar and the others haven't been involved in furloughs...........I think!!
    Agreed...I was just going down the ‘one rule for some’ line.

Geoff the way I have read it staff are saying they were ask to work but none actually did . On a personal point I've no time for Ashley but what he is a slippery slimey individual who repeatedly gets away with things no other businessman could do . T hats why I expect nothing to come of this

On the subject of ‘one rule for some’...how come Peter Ridsdale - who I think was banned from company directorship until a couple of months ago - was allowed into the stand at Deepdale for PNE v Cardiff today.
    Very dubious football history. Is he really a crucial presence?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)