+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Any idea of start date for the new season

Any idea of start date for the new season

I am deciding whether to purchase a new season ticket to get the discount or hang on as there appears to be no start date for the new season plus we do not know when fans will be allowed back in the grounds.before anyone has a go at me saying I should buy the ticket to support my club , I can follow that view but the football club is a business and have any of you being giving your local pub money and not having any beer in return. If we are not allowed back till the new year and the season starts in September I could end missing 8 plus games.

The only hints of a date so far are mid -September. The Premier League is talking early September. However, can't see the latter happening as Champions League finishes a matter of days earlier. Personally i hope the date is as late as possible so there are fewer closed games. However, this government seems to be trying to get people to think that everything is back to normal (witness Bournemouth beach) and is talking about gradual return of fans over a 2 or 3 month period. If we have a vaccine by then, all well and good, but as a person who is being shielded, I might feel rather uncomfortable being in close proximity to 4 to 5,000 potential virus carriers. Nonetheless, I have bought my season ticket.
    (A damn sight more than) fingers crossed!

Scottish clubs outside of the SPL are considering a number of options including starting in October or November with a commensurately reduced number of fixtures. Entry into the cup competitions (aside from the Scottish FA Cup) may be optional. There are reportedly some clubs (as yet unnamed) who may opt out of season 2020-21. The SFA has also said that teams who opt to "hibernate" during next season may be relegated and any club which agrees to start the new season and then decides it cannot proceed, will also be relegated.

Well there won’t be a fully tested vaccine until next year at the earliest.

Watching the footie on the telly this week would suggest that clubs who attract fewer than 50% of capacity into their stadium will be in a better position to open than those that fill their grounds... and that was with the 2m rule in place. Maybe they will open every other row and use every second seat! Mind you, football fans aren’t famous for their common sense at times so I’m not optimistic. I’ve bought my season ticket though, just the same.

DA said recently he thought the start date might come forward to early September from mid, as TV will want games to show when the Prem and Championship end and go into a break. If that was the case we'd come in for pre-season in early August i guess.

The 2 m rule is ok but what about stairs and toilets and bars?

Exactly, out0lunch. The matches will be streamed somewhere and season ticket holders will get it for free. Not the same of course but the clubs have to have some income or the whole edifice of organised football comes crashing down.

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    Well there won’t be a fully tested vaccine until next year at the earliest.

Watching the footie on the telly this week would suggest that clubs who attract fewer than 50% of capacity into their stadium will be in a better position to open than those that fill their grounds... and that was with the 2m rule in place. Maybe they will open every other row and use every second seat! Mind you, football fans aren’t famous for their common sense at times so I’m not optimistic. I’ve bought my season ticket though, just the same.
    You know what creatures of habit we are - everyone would want their own seat and only others to move. Imagine telling a fan with a centre of stand viewpoint s/he has to sit at one end!

Yes, Shropshire, you might get the sort of response containing language that they keep apologising for on Sky! What IS that all about? We are watching football, not the Sewing Bee so it might be expected.....

As previously stated, I'm clinically vulnerable and unless there's a vaccine available beforehand, my seat will be available.