+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning for the championship, yes we should.

Planning for the championship, yes we should.

Okay, never give up I hear you say well yes obviously and we can always dream of 3 wins on the bounce but realistically, are the board now sitting down with Smith to discuss who will be left to work with when the inevitable happens? Better we plan than not as there are just 5 weeks between old and new.
    Out should go Suso, Terry gone will be expected, Jack, Mings, Luiz but going down and putting out a team as Heaton, Guilbert, Konsa, Engels, Targett, Hause McGinn, Hourihane, Nakamba, Wesley, Alghazi, Samatta, Barrie is good enough to start with, obviously 3 or 4 better quality signing and off we go. In stark contrast the biggest nighmare for the owners would actuall staying up. Jack, Mings and Luiz would probably still go so, all the players I have mentioned would need replacing because, as we now know, we are simply not Premiership standard, that would mean building a whole new team from top to bottom. We would be in exactly the same situation or even worse than this season?? Think about it, can we get new staff and a team in 5 weeks....no. so in my opinion, I think planning for the championship in a 5 year plan might just be the best opton.

Thoughts!

Agree totally with the sentiment, but I feel most of the squad will be gone. That back 4 are not good enough to pay as a unit. We could hide one in a decent back line, but not all of them. Midfield will go as will the front 2. IMO they all need to go as well, proven to be duds.

We've tried 1 team to get up and 1 team to survive. Wolves and Sheff U did it right, a strong team able for 3-4 seasons. Adding 1 or 2 as they went. Consistency and continuity of selection and playing style.

We've tried 1 team to get up and 1 team to survive. Wolves and Sheff U did it right, a strong team able for 3-4 seasons. Adding 1 or 2 as they went. Consistency and continuity of selection and playing style.[/QUOTE]

Spot on about Wolves and Sheff Utd (who by the way have really struggled since the restart) - could say the same about Leeds who should have gone up last season.

The Prem is an unforgiving league, especially where there's a group of foreign players without experience of english football - Trez, Wes, El Ghazi, Luiz, Guillbert, Nakamba and now Samatta. It's just too much of a gamble as we saw last time we went down - I'm convinced these players will get better individually as we have seen with Luiz and arguably Nakamba.

Davis & Samatta have hardly any games between them at this level, we don't have a clinical finisher - Jack with his 9 goals is the best we have so should go up there with Davis. Let Luiz & McGinn (who looked a lot better yesterday) do the graft and play with attacking full-backs - we have to take the initiative with urgency.

In the MON days - we had Gabby, Young, Downing, Barry, Friedel, Dunne, Warnock, Collins, Heskey - a wealth of experience, then along came John Carew and we were so close to breaking into the top 4.

Dave - I agree that the team we would put out in the Championship minus the obvious departures with maybe 3 or 4 key additions would be a good 11 but to build a squad capable of staying up would take a few years and keep the same manager.

In the championship I expect to see:

Steer

Targett
    Hause
    Konsa
    Guilbert

Nakamba

Hourihane
    McGinn

Davis
    Wesley
    Samatta

I do expect to lose Mings, Grealish and Luiz. If we can keep Douglas Luiz then we will have done very well

Yes, Sam keeping say 70% of the squad and adding quality, known quality and for once, not destroying them. We need a winning formation A winning mentality and a togetherness as witnessed at a very sad and empty villa park yesterday with WW, home advantage my arse!
    I can see Heaton staying, he's crocked and needs game time with a mini pre season, cannot see anyone coming in for him.
    The club have once again stated they aint budging with their valuation of Grealish so put up Shut utd
    Grealish, Mings, Luiz and maybe McGinn, if they went would bring in around 150 million plus sky money, generating 150m from sales puts is in a great position with FFP, yes I would love to keep them but it just aint going to happen, apart from the fab4, we dont have to get rid of anyone, players who we brought in probaly had a clause about salaries being halved if relegated so time and strength to rebuild with or without Smith.

Deadwood to be given the boot: Nyland- clown
    Hause - cannot pass a ball
    Taylor - time to go
    Trez- waste of space
    Elghazi - lazy
    *Davies- get him out on loan
    Drinkwater - embarrassment

Keep-
    Heaton
    Guilbert
    Konsa
    Targett
    Hourihane
    Nakamba
    Wesley
    Samatra

I really don't understand the hating on Taylor - he improved last season under Smith, has hardly had a sniff this season but stayed professional, fit and did ok yesterday - works hard too. Good squad player surely?

His effort is not in question, he's a bit like Hutton. Gives you 100% but is too easily beaten and when forward cannot cross a ball...there has to be better!

As I’ve said before folks, I don’t think that it’s a case of us having a choice who stays. With 4 major International Tournaments next summer, many will want top-flight football, to have a chance of selection.

For instance, I only want to see the 2 wingers and Targett (can’t defend) gone. The loanees will be gone anyway. However, I can’t see International hopefuls willing to stay. It’s all ‘player power’ these days.

Jack, Mings, Heaton, McGinn, Engles, Trez, Nakamba, Samatta, Elmo, Wes, Luiz and even Nyland??? all have eyes on next summer. Not being kicked to ffff for 46 games of 2nd tier footy, crammed into a 6 month season. Then we have Guilbert’s history of leaving a sinking ship. If not all, then most will leave.

If we can add plenty of experience, steel and pace to; Steer, Konsa, Hause, Hourihane, and Davis, plus Indie Vasilev, Mungo Bridge, Louie Barry, Carney Chukwuemeka and Jacob Ramsey, I think we’ll do very well indeed.

This I see as a worst-case scenario, something Aston Villa F.C. have historically ignored and paid the consequences, every time. Fail to prepare???

Onwards & Upwards

Was that Mary, Mungo and Midge Exiled😄
    Just kidding, yes the international championships will dictate but you have to ask, who will have them and will they actually play enough to get noticed?
    For me, Jack and Mings are a defo, not sure about the others!
    Im hoping we end up with a fairly strong championshiop squad with 3 or 4 quality signings to replace the ones who leave. Problem is, who is going to replace Jack, Barrie?
    I would give a punt to Milner, he may become surplus this summer!!
    Bring him back, make him Capt, give him a 2 year contract to lead us back???

Either that or his Grandparents were ‘auld hippies’ and into Mungo Jerry, mate.

As long as those players are playing Top Flight Football somewhere in the World Dave, they’ll go anywhere. I doubt that there’ll be any takers in the Prem for; Engles, Trez, Ghastly, Marvellous, Wes and Nyland.

Samatta has Palarse written all over him, and I’d say Mings would jump at a ‘Norf Landan’ club.

Milner has been saying for a year now that he wants to go and play for Leeds if they ever got promoted.

I’m not overly concerned about next season, whichever way it goes I think we’ll be a better side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)