+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Takeover? For or against

The way McNeil played last night and the chattering I'm hearing from other club's envious supporters we will soon have an additional £35 million in the Dry Powder Room.

Save or spend?

What a plethora of opinions we have on this board.

The reality is we are a small town Club over achieving with a brilliant Manager.Players come and go,owners change but we will always be a small town Club.We do not want to be owned by people who in reality have no interest in the Club/town.They would have an agenda to use the Club,either a plaything for billionaires,asset strippers or promoting their business.Big name players would never be interested in coming here as someone pointed out,we are not London or Manchester,we do not have a recent history in the Champions League.

That leaves us as a well managed development Club with excellent facilities and we should try to use that to the best advantage.Try to get a superb scouting set up,get a reputation for hiring top coaches and do not sell players for less than top dollar (£35m is not enough for McNeil).This should give us the best chance of surviving in the EPL on a long term basis.Hopefully Dyche and Garlick can sit down and come to an agreement on our medium/long term plans.

I think the point is that survival in the long term is not possible without more investment which is why we've got to the situation we're in now. There's no reason we can't improve with investment.

I think it's the Burnley way to always assume the worse and to be afraid of change but why not think of it this way? If we can perform like we have done with the players we have who's to say we can't take on the bigger teams more when we have above average players instead of average?

If we can get results with a thread bare squad who's to say we can't do better?

I think it's possible to achieve a lot more than we have with Dyche at the helm and he needs cash to push further.

I'm fed up of the small club mentality. We've proven already by now we can be much more than just a small club with average players, why not try to improve?

Selling our assets every few years would only work for us if we manage to get enough assets to sell. When you consider Rodriguez was the last before McNeil I don't think we can hedge our bets on that in the long term.

Recruitment would have to be top level and we'd have to get players in our youth setup similar to the calibre of the bigger clubs near us. There won't be many McNeil's seeping through Manchester utds youth system.

as it is - i'd imagine any interest investing in tv shares, perspex or big pharma - rather than throwing money into a game thats suffering through the changes caused by that invisible thing thats done so much damage, and also being so unsure of it's future influence - and that some dodgy investment group or consortium of asset strippers....could come in for the grab - sell the ground from under the turf and run etc, risky times.
    Then for me - and being am not sure it'll ever settle back to what it was proper - i'd not risk or want change right now, wouldn't even think of it tbh.....as who could you trust ?

btw - Hi antifootball !

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

as it is - i'd imagine any interest investing in tv shares, perspex or big pharma - rather than throwing money into a game thats suffering through the changes caused by that invisible thing thats done so much damage, and also being so unsure of it's future influence - and that some dodgy investment group or consortium of asset strippers....could come in for the grab - sell the ground from under the turf and run etc, risky times.
    Then for me - and being am not sure it'll ever settle back to what it was proper - i'd not risk or want change right now, wouldn't even think of it tbh.....as who could you trust ?

btw - Hi antifootball !
    Hi!

Yeah well a balance would need to be struck and there would have to be some existing members on the board in a position to make decisions if a takeover was to come in. There's no way it would be a good idea to hand over the entire running of the club.

But if some benefactor wants to back us so they can put their sponsor on our shirt, so they can rename the stadium and some of our stands and paint their symbols around the stadium to get some TV coverage I don't see any downside.

I think its possible to get new investment without having a disastrous takeover. We could do what entrepreneurs do and keep a 51% share in the business to current board members.

Quote Originally Posted by antifootball View Post
    Hi!

Yeah well a balance would need to be struck and there would have to be some existing members on the board in a position to make decisions if a takeover was to come in. There's no way it would be a good idea to hand over the entire running of the club.

But if some benefactor wants to back us so they can put their sponsor on our shirt, so they can rename the stadium and some of our stands and paint their symbols around the stadium to get some TV coverage I don't see any downside.

I think its possible to get new investment without having a disastrous takeover. We could do what entrepreneurs do and keep a 51% share in the business to current board members.
    Yes. But if someone came in with serious money would they be content with just a seat or seats on the board and naming rights etc? They would want to run the whole bang shoot and you could soon see the outside investor taking control just as they did at Sheffield United. We are in a tricky position at Burnley as we have a club and manager both with enormous potential and finding ourselves at a crossroads. Where do we go from here?

It's the only way we can maintain our Prem status in the future. Surely we all want our club to be as successful as possible?

But any potential investor needs to be thoroughly vetted to ensure that they have the clubs best interests at heart. If there is any doubt at all on this then they should be given the bums rush.

It CAN be a game changer for our club, but it could go either way , as we have seen at other clubs.

The reality is, our club cannot maintain it's current status for very long unless we get outside investment.

Some people would be happy to maintain our independence, even if it meant we played at a lower level. Fair enough.

But we could come to regret being in this position in the future because we didn't embrace our chance when/if it occurred.

Once we lose our Prem status it will be too late.

If you look at the current situation logically and without any prejudice towards Garlick, Burnley football Club invested heavily in the Barnfield Centre.

The stated aim was to get Academy status sooner rather than later and start attracting the Dwight McNeil's of this world.

I really do think it is Garlick's vision to "Do a Bob Lord" and create another conveyor belt of sellable player assets.

We have a "hole in our finances" running at about £20 million a season if we want to attract the Kieron Trippiers of this world to Turf Moor.

Hypothetical question for you to consider: Sell McNeil for £40 million and bring back Trippier at £20 million and pop £20 million into the Dry Powder Room and fortify the locks?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    If you look at the current situation logically and without any prejudice towards Garlick, Burnley football Club invested heavily in the Barnfield Centre.

The stated aim was to get Academy status sooner rather than later and start attracting the Dwight McNeil's of this world.

I really do think it is Garlick's vision to "Do a Bob Lord" and create another conveyor belt of sellable player assets.

We have a "hole in our finances" running at about £20 million a season if we want to attract the Kieron Trippiers of this world to Turf Moor.

Hypothetical question for you to consider: Sell McNeil for £40 million and bring back Trippier at £20 million and pop £20 million into the Dry Powder Room and fortify the locks?
    I would love Trippier back but NOT at the expense of McNeil in midfield.I would much prefer Trippier finding McNeil with his crosses.What I want to see is how good Peacock-Farrell is with Jensen as back up.Pope is good but he could be the one to sell in due course for big money.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)