+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aberdeen best XI of last 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    Just for something to do... what would be your starting 11 of players who have played for us in the last 5 years? You can pick whatever formation you like, and you can include players who have been on loan.

I'd go...

Ward
    Taylor McKenna Considine
    McLean Shinnie
    McGinn Maddison Christie Hayes
    Rooney

As good as Lewis has been, I think Ward was a better keeper and less prone to mistakes. Not a great deal to choose from in defence. Jack and Ferguson are noticeable omissions in midfield, but that's where we've had the most quality in recent years. Slightly unusual formation to accommodate everyone, but basically 3 at the back with McGinn and Hayes wide, Shinnie the ball winner and captain, McLean building from deep and getting the ball to Maddison and Christie in behind Roonaldo. That team would win the league.
    Ward was with us about 5 months!!!

Just for something to do... what would be your starting 11 of players who have played for us in the last 5 years? You can pick whatever formation you like, and you can include players who have been on loan.

I'd go...

Ward
    Taylor McKenna Considine
    McLean Shinnie
    McGinn Maddison Christie Hayes
    Rooney

As good as Lewis has been, I think Ward was a better keeper and less prone to mistakes. Not a great deal to choose from in defence. Jack and Ferguson are noticeable omissions in midfield, but that's where we've had the most quality in recent years. Slightly unusual formation to accommodate everyone, but basically 3 at the back with McGinn and Hayes wide, Shinnie the ball winner and captain, McLean building from deep and getting the ball to Maddison and Christie in behind Roonaldo. That team would win the league.
    DC,

A back 3 of Taylor, McKenna & Considine would not win you the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Ward was with us about 5 months!!!
    I'm aware of that - what I was getting at in my post was really the best players we've had in the last 5 years - not necessarily the ones who've made the biggest, longest impact in an Aberdeen strip over the last 5 years. For me Ward was the best keeper we've had in the last 5 years, even though Lewis has been generally very very good.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    DC,

A back 3 of Taylor, McKenna & Considine would not win you the league.
    Fair point - the centre back area is definitely our weakest. I was hoping with the 7 players in front of the back 3 we wouldn't need to do much defending - but the main reason for the back 3 was just to accommodate more of the midfielders as we've had a lot of good players in those positions.

Fair point - the centre back area is definitely our weakest. I was hoping with the 7 players in front of the back 3 we wouldn't need to do much defending - but the main reason for the back 3 was just to accommodate more of the midfielders as we've had a lot of good players in those positions.
    Which manager in the last 5 years would pick so many attacking players??

I'm aware of that - what I was getting at in my post was really the best players we've had in the last 5 years - not necessarily the ones who've made the biggest, longest impact in an Aberdeen strip over the last 5 years. For me Ward was the best keeper we've had in the last 5 years, even though Lewis has been generally very very good.
    Ward is a good keeper but there's no way he's better than Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Ward is a good keeper but there's no way he's better than Lewis.
    It`s a tricky one with Goalkeepers.

Ward was a revelation because prior to him we had Langfield.
    So he steadied the fans nerves. Gave us a confidence back in our Keeper. (

His one weakness that stuck out was he wasn`t a brilliant long distance shot stopper ? Something Langfield was good at ? Mind you I`m being harsh. Some of the rockets were possibly unstoppable, yet I expected him to stop them due to him being good at most else ?? )

Going way back to when we had " good " goalkeepers. Bobby Clark wasn`t a natural. He coached himself into reading a game so well his positioning let him make the saves. Whereas Jim Leighton, was good at instintive saves. Yet his coming for crosses was suspect ? ( Again, maybe under instructions from God ?? Who knows !! )

Lewis. Coming after Ward , brought more maturity, talks and tries to organise his defence more 9 it needs it !! ) But deffo in his first season looked awesome. We`ve all been noticing his mistakes recently. But is tht prtially due to a constantly changing defence in front of him ? ( Think Leighton at Man U. He didn`t turn poor overnight. Magically it happened with the introduction of new defenders. Pallister , for one ? )

Aye, what do I know about goalies ?!!

Quote Originally Posted by neilthedon View Post
    It`s a tricky one with Goalkeepers.

Ward was a revelation because prior to him we had Langfield.
    So he steadied the fans nerves. Gave us a confidence back in our Keeper. (

His one weakness that stuck out was he wasn`t a brilliant long distance shot stopper ? Something Langfield was good at ? Mind you I`m being harsh. Some of the rockets were possibly unstoppable, yet I expected him to stop them due to him being good at most else ?? )

Going way back to when we had " good " goalkeepers. Bobby Clark wasn`t a natural. He coached himself into reading a game so well his positioning let him make the saves. Whereas Jim Leighton, was good at instintive saves. Yet his coming for crosses was suspect ? ( Again, maybe under instructions from God ?? Who knows !! )

Lewis. Coming after Ward , brought more maturity, talks and tries to organise his defence more 9 it needs it !! ) But deffo in his first season looked awesome. We`ve all been noticing his mistakes recently. But is tht prtially due to a constantly changing defence in front of him ? ( Think Leighton at Man U. He didn`t turn poor overnight. Magically it happened with the introduction of new defenders. Pallister , for one ? )

Aye, what do I know about goalies ?!!
    Over the course of the time he's been here, he's not made that many mistakes and as you said, it doesn't help the defence in front of him hasn't been particularly consistent.

Also, worth pointing out that Lewis didn't come in after Ward as such. Unfortunately we had to suffer Scott Brown.

I'm genuinely surprised that Maddison appears to be such a favourite. He perpetually slowed things down when controlling the ball, allowing opposing players to get goal-side of the ball. Yes, he scored "that goal" against the Huns but he was too much of a luxury for our club. Don't get me wrong, he was an excellent player and is better now but he did not fit our tactics.

McLean was the absolute opposite of Maddison in how he controlled the ball and pinged it wide and long in the blink of an eye. With McGinn and Hayes in wide positions needing to receive the ball rapidly McLean was an absolute lynchpin of the team. Rooney's goal threat was predicated on the wide men getting the ball early and getting to the byeline rapidly. With Maddison the whole gameplan was much more ponderous and inclined to get bogged down by a wall of defenders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12