+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Leicester

OT Leicester

Call by their MP, procrastination by council, to reimpose lockdown in Leicester due to covid second wave outbreak mid June.

Being blamed on poverty and ethnic diversity (in layman's terms, high South Asian population).

I've only been to Leicester a couple of times but have never got the impression that it's any poorer than, say, Nottingham, Stoke, Coventry or similarly sized Midlands cities.

Which brings us back to the ethnic mix question which has always been an unsubtle undertone of covid. My question is, is this factor a cause or an effect? I guess we may see the answer when further hotspots / second wave locations emerge. If its Bradford, Southall etc we may get a clue. Communal living may be in the dock...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Call by their MP, procrastination by council, to reimpose lockdown in Leicester due to covid second wave outbreak mid June.

Being blamed on poverty and ethnic diversity (in layman's terms, high South Asian population).

I've only been to Leicester a couple of times but have never got the impression that it's any poorer than, say, Nottingham, Stoke, Coventry or similarly sized Midlands cities.

Which brings us back to the ethnic mix question which has always been an unsubtle undertone of covid. My question is, is this factor a cause or an effect? I guess we may see the answer when further hotspots / second wave locations emerge. If its Bradford, Southall etc we may get a clue. Communal living may be in the dock...
    Going back to the COVID/BAME connection, I was interested to read a theory regarding treatment. Apparently vitamin D helps fight it off. The doctor was saying that we in the UK are taking vitamin D tablets more and more, as we spend less time out in the sun, due to lifestyle changes.
    Now we are fair skinned as this climate is kind sun wise. He was suggesting that BAME members with dark skin, would be suffering from a lack of this vitamin even more so. Maybe, he has something?

I go back to an observation I shared from a copper friend in Stoke, dismissed at the time (by Swale what a surprise) but since confirmed in both Stoke and other local press - certain ethnic cultures (my rozzer friend mentioned east European Roma and South Asian) just ‘can’t help themselves’ (from congregating).

Geoff would be surprised if it's deprivation I go there quite a lot it does have a very high Asian populous But they never seen deprived to me There's an area in Belgravia called the golden mile full of jewellery shops all Asian owned I suspect it's more like something in their genes than deprivation

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I go back to an observation I shared from a copper friend in Stoke, dismissed at the time (by Swale what a surprise) but since confirmed in both Stoke and other local press - certain ethnic cultures (my rozzer friend mentioned east European Roma and South Asian) just ‘can’t help themselves’ (from congregating).
    Feel sure we’ve been here before. Didn’t Swale actually take issue with you suggesting that your ‘rozzer friend’ described some far fetched correlation between ‘Remainers’ and lockdown rule breakers?

Having said that I’m sure those indulging in get togethers, be they Roma, South Asian, the half a million Dorset beach visitors, protestors, Liverpool fans, the idiots I saw in Dovedale and Tissington last week or those in Florida who seem to think that social distancing only applies to others have much to answer for.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Feel sure we’ve been here before. Didn’t Swale actually take issue with you suggesting that your ‘rozzer friend’ described some far fetched correlation between ‘Remainers’ and lockdown rule breakers?

Having said that I’m sure those indulging in get togethers, be they Roma, South Asian, the half a million Dorset beach visitors, protestors, Liverpool fans, the idiots I saw in Dovedale and Tissington last week or those in Florida who seem to think that social distancing only applies to others have much to answer for.
    Quite agree RA, they do indeed.
    I actually wish, that the only ones flouting the distancing rule, would be the only ones to suffer a second wave.
    Alas, we all know that will not be the case.
    I and my family will continue to practise social distancing. It's all you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

The significant difference is that for the various daytripper and footballing tit-heads it was a sort-of one-off (I'm equally disgusted about the littering to be honest), whereas the ethnic communities seem to have just opted out for the duration. Having said that, all those I have direct contact with have been as compliant as possible

It sounds an inappropriate reaction TTR but I sort of agree with you - but that could be because thee and me and probably most in the group are in a vulnerable group.

I just hope that, when we are back locked down in September for the second time, these cretins rA has identified remember why. But they won't, they will blame the government for something - sadly not rounding them up into isolation camps. Free showers included?

It sounds an inappropriate reaction TTR but I sort of agree with you - but that could be because thee and me and probably most in the group are in a vulnerable group.

I just hope that, when we are back locked down in September for the second time, these cretins rA has identified remember why. But they won't, they will blame the government for something - sadly not rounding them up into isolation camps. Free showers included?
    That could be quite funny, if it didn't have some serious connections.

But I quite agree though. It will spike again and will all be the Tories fault etc.
    For me I'm expecting a similar backlash through the school gap. Kids being out of contol/standards slipped/exam disasters.
    Starmer /Sturgeon will be screaming that Johnson has ruined a generation of leavers.
    Yet the reality is, it's all the fault of the cretins who think the rules don't apply to them etc.

But the government can’t be absolved of blame, GP. Far too many people are stupid and selfish, hence the the Spanish, Australian, New Zealand and German authorities have been both far stricter and more imaginative.
    Two examples that I have come across.

In Spain, although the wearing of masks is not compulsory all the time, you have to have one with you whenever you go out for wearing in public places and risk a €1000 for failing to do so.
    In Germany faced with the problem of social distancing in parks they drew distanced circles on the grass big enough to accommodate appropriate social/family groups. Those outside the circle are, by tangible definition, not social distancing making the job a whole lot easier for the police.

Sadly, because of the aforementioned stupidity, ignorance and selfishness such steps are necessary, but here we’ll just continue to have mixed messages and ‘leaders’ breaking the rules with apparent impunity.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)