+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking The Knee

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

1. Do they still play the national anthem at the end of films?

2. Gimp mask? No idea why you’ve written that, Tricky.
    1. No idea rA.

2. Might he have been looking in the mirror?

Lol...Tricky adopts the Dominic Raab position...big surprise.

1. Strangely I’ve proposed twice...
    2. been accepted twice too...didn’t ‘take the knee’ either time.
    3. Not likely to be knighted and don’t believe in God.
    1. Snap
    2. Snap
    3. Snap

Lol...Tricky adopts the Dominic Raab position....
    ...although TTR at least did’t refer to his betrothed as his ‘missus’ Like Raab did

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    ...although TTR at least did’t refer to his betrothed as his ‘missus’ Like Raab did
    Perceived populist authenticity is everything to today’s politicians...wasn’t it Cameron who confused West Ham with Aston Villa as the team he supported?

Time to answer your own question, AF?

Perceived populist authenticity is everything to today’s politicians...wasn’t it Cameron who confused West Ham with Aston Villa as the team he supported?

Time to answer your own question, AF?
    Happy to answer it and no I wouldn't. I've discussed this with two fellahs close to me to whom this matters more than you or I, and told them the fact that I don't do virtue signalling (which is what I consider it to be) is no reflection on the commitment I have to them or my lifelong belief in equality. I've also explained to them that I don't believe in some of the aims of BLM (as opposed to blm), you must have heard Keir Starmer dismissing their intent to 'defund' (aka disband) the police earlier today, and the FA are now needing to clarify their message after BLM tweeted pro-Palestine/Anti-Israel propoganda (since withdrawn) earlier today

I will make the observation while I'm here that this issue feels very much like the Brexit issue, and looking through my social media contacts the same folk are on the same sides of the issue, with a silent majority (or at least a significant minority) becoming more entrenched in their attitude in opposition to the media as every day passes

Having considered this taking a knee issue, I have come to the conclusion that I'd rather give one than take one.

Would I do it as a player? Yes and no. I'll explain. I totally agree that there are still disadvantages to being a person of colour in today's world. That shouldn't be so. Things need to change. If I had ever been good enough to play for Derby and was in the side this season, I would have taken the knee at Millwall to show solidarity. I wouldn't have done it thereafter for the same "virtue signalling" point that Andy raised. Was I DCFC Manager, I would ask the players, apart from the Millwall game, NOT to take a knee pre match as, once they cross that white line I would want their full concentration on the game and wouldn't want anything else to be in their minds.

"Cross that white line"? How very dare you, black lines matter....

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    "Cross that white line"? How very dare you, black lines matter....
    Indeed they do GP

Hard to know which terms to use these days. Today is the 157th anniversary of the abolition of slavery in the Netherlands and its former colonies. It is known as Ketikoti Day. This was being discussed last night on various talkshows and news programmes.

What they all had in common was saying slavery was a black page in Dutch history..........

How long before the phrase "black page" and all other phrases using "black" in a poor light are condemned to the bin?

Is that why bin bags are black then?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Having considered this taking a knee issue, I have come to the conclusion that I'd rather give one than take one.

Would I do it as a player? Yes and no. I'll explain. I totally agree that there are still disadvantages to being a person of colour in today's world. That shouldn't be so. Things need to change. If I had ever been good enough to play for Derby and was in the side this season, I would have taken the knee at Millwall to show solidarity. I wouldn't have done it thereafter for the same "virtue signalling" point that Andy raised. Was I DCFC Manager, I would ask the players, apart from the Millwall game, NOT to take a knee pre match as, once they cross that white line I would want their full concentration on the game and wouldn't want anything else to be in their minds.
    Maddy, where sports personell are concerned, it is also a matter of perspective. Many of them scream they have been held back and not given the same opportunities as non coloureds, but here they are with all the trappings?

Take my earlier quote on Lewis Hamilton, regarding his stance with statues/ethnicity.
    I took this from a guy who followed his career from the beginning.

I was there at the very start when Lewis began with karts. He was handed everything because he stood out and the fact he was black.
    There was an expensive motorhome and top support from a big team called Zipcart, before he was ever part of McClarens junior project.
    He was never poor and had more than most competitors.
    There was drivers who beat him and out classed him, but never had the money behind them to get into F1.
    Once Mc Claren put money into his equipment, he became unstoppable.
    He is the ultimate reciprient of Black privalege given by many white British people, but now claims he was discriminated against throughout his career..
    Nothing could be further from the truth and he is an entitled hypocrite.

As said before, I have seen Lewis get racial abuse. Totally wrong, but was he held back because of colour? I certainly don't think that is true.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)