+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cryptic Clue All Things Millers

10 Mark Robins

Flippin eck I disappear off here for an hour and Pip has demolished your cryptic millers quiz.!
    I aint had a look in. To be fair though its a lot harder from this side of the fence. You might think if you can compile em it would be easy to answer em but its quite the opposite for me!

What publications do you do cryptic crossys in animal? I've only started doin em fairly recently. I get Private Eye and have in the past ignored the crossy but one day I had a go at it and with a lot of trial and error I completed one in the end not fully right but 90%. It inspired me to try better next time. Eventually I managed to complete one and I was dead chuffed wi mi sen. NOw when I get Private Eye it is the first thing I turn to and I cant settle till I complete it. If I can do it in a day I'm really pleased wi mi sen but it usually takes a couple or 3. Needless to say our lass aint pleased when the Private eye gets delivered cos she knows I will disappear for hours.

Its also inspired me to do cryptic crossys in other magazines even sending em off for prizes but Ive never won owt. I keep telling our lass to wait for the cheque in the post but she says I'll believe it when I see it!

I'll tell you which is the hardest one ive done ,the Parish Church magazine .Now that is a a bugger! Full of ecclesiastical clues which aint easy when you are very sceptical of religion like me.

Well done PIP by the way two trophys in a day!
    Last edited by rolymiller; 30-06-2020 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pip_y View Post
    10 Mark Robins
    Yep .

Just number 6 to get guys .

Roly I can’t get 6.

I'll have a look.Cant promise owt.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Flippin eck I disappear off here for an hour and Pip has demolished your cryptic millers quiz.!
    I aint had a look in. To be fair though its a lot harder from this side of the fence. You might think if you can compile em it would be easy to answer em but its quite the opposite for me!

What publications do you do cryptic crossys in animal? I've only started doin em fairly recently. I get Private Eye and have in the past ignored the crossy but one day I had a go at it and with a lot of trial and error I completed one in the end not fully right but 90%. It inspired me to try better next time. Eventually I managed to complete one and I was dead chuffed wi mi sen. NOw when I get Private Eye it is the first thing I turn to and I cant settle till I complete it. If I can do it in a day I'm really pleased wi mi sen but it usually takes a couple or 3. Needless to say our lass aint pleased when the Private eye gets delivered cos she knows I will disappear for hours.

Its also inspired me to do cryptic crossys in other magazines even sending em off for prizes but Ive never won owt. I keep telling our lass to wait for the cheque in the post but she says I'll believe it when I see it!

I'll tell you which is the hardest one ive done ,the Parish Church magazine one .Now that is a a bugger! Full of ecclesiastical clues which aint much good for a non believer!

Well done PIP by the way two trophys in a day!
    Never done one in my life Roly but enjoyed the challenge your good self put up .

So I thought I'd have a go at setting em and see how that worked out .

You guys have slaughtered me .

Not quite ready for The Times as yet !!

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Never done one in my life Roly but enjoyed the challenge your good self put up .

So I thought I'd have a go at setting em and see how that worked out .

You guys have slaughtered me .

Not quite ready for The Times as yet !!
    You will get the bug believe me, Have a go at one. Just get in the ones you can and build from there. You have obviously some grasp of what is required or pip wunt have been able to get em all right. When I compile mine I pick up tricks of the trade all the time from the magazines I do em in and am always looking for other ways to keep you lot on your toes. No cryptic clue crossy is the same though quite because they all have their own style eg private eye political, parish church mag religious but they do use similar tricks. eg word and letter play/ anagrams/ abbreviations etc.

You will go away and think thats it Icant do anymore and then pick it up the next day and an answer will come to you straight away and it will be that obvious you will kick yasen...

Of course you can cheat as well there are are on line thesauruses , anagram makers. missing letter fillers etc to help you.I use em all the time!

...back to this clue...my first thought is it a synonym for dead or dead on ie dead on target? hmm
    Farm? Holding as a synonym?
    Last edited by rolymiller; 30-06-2020 at 10:06 PM.

Mark somebody? As in dead on the mark...

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Mark somebody? As in dead on the mark...
    Think early to mid 90's .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast