+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Liverpool

Liverpool

As we go to play our next game at Sheffield Wednesday you always think of the Liverpool disaster when innocent people lost their lives. Liverpool supporters fought for justice for years and blamed everybody but their own supporters.

This Friday there was unacceptable violence in Liverpool towards the police with fighting and flares being thrown at the Liver building - all in front of children! Let’s not talk about Heysel!

I applaud the side for winning the league as thoroughly deserved but horrible supporters and a horrible place!

It would have been worse if Liverpool had actually won the title playing at Anfield. Some of the media also very reluctant to criticise Liverpool fans. Not my favourite city or club, either.

I've never understood the fact that in all the enquieries into the disaster that no blame was ever levelled at the numerous Liverpool fans who went to Hillsborough without tickets. Surely this must have been a contributory factor.

Don’t mention Heysel.

You don’t see any banners of sympathy for that event in the Kop.

In 2001 I went to Madrid in May to celebrate our first wedding anniversary - Real Madrid had just won the league and played Alaves. The fans mobbed the city centre and were impeccably behaved right into the night having had all day to enjoy the occasion - it was a sight to behold.

I was 18 when Hillsborough happened and those terrible pictures left a deep impression on me - an individual once in a big crowd cannot singularly control how a mass of people behave. There's no doubt some fans would be ticketless, drunk, and arrive late - many games in the past had enormous crowds without what happened there that day. The majority of fans in those days would be early and get their favourite position on the terraces, the report states roadworks on the motorway caused a huge bottleneck.

The same game the previous year between the two sides had a police cordon to stop ticketless fans - no cordon in '89.

Lessons were not learned after crushing injuries at the Spurs and Wolves SF there a few years earlier - some idiot decides to add radial fences which prevents sideways movement. In '89 the ground's safety certificate had I think expired.

David Duckenfield was match commander that day, appointed to the task 3 weeks earlier with minimal experience - when he gave the order to open the gate (by which time he had little choice) - there were no police in the concourse area, none!

Many grounds were sh1tholes back then and fans were treated like animals because of hooliganism despite the majority being law abiding citizens.

There is clear evidence of a police cover-up as testified by coppers there on the day, South Yorkshire Police have a terrible reputation after Orgreave, this and Saville. I applaud the resolve of the Liverpool families who fought for so long for the truth to come out.

The one thing I saw a few months after the verdict of unlawful killing was given was a tweet from a guy who lives in the area that said it's common knowledge amongst the pub landlords that the pubs were rammed not long before kick-off. I can't ever recall this being covered by the media or any of them being called to give evidence, it might not however have made any difference to the verdict as no fan having a drink could have foreseen such grave consequences.

The authorities failed before, during and afterwards - Heysel was completely different and people have served time for that.

Overall - the drink/drug fuelled behaviour of a section of society doesn't ever look like it will change.

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    In 2001 I went to Madrid in May to celebrate our first wedding anniversary - Real Madrid had just won the league and played Alaves. The fans mobbed the city centre and were impeccably behaved right into the night having had all day to enjoy the occasion - it was a sight to behold.

I was 18 when Hillsborough happened and those terrible pictures left a deep impression on me - an individual once in a big crowd cannot singularly control how a mass of people behave. There's no doubt some fans would be ticketless, drunk, and arrive late - many games in the past had enormous crowds without what happened there that day. The majority of fans in those days would be early and get their favourite position on the terraces, the report states roadworks on the motorway caused a huge bottleneck.

The same game the previous year between the two sides had a police cordon to stop ticketless fans - no cordon in '89.

Lessons were not learned after crushing injuries at the Spurs and Wolves SF there a few years earlier - some idiot decides to add radial fences which prevents sideways movement. In '89 the ground's safety certificate had I think expired.

David Duckenfield was match commander that day, appointed to the task 3 weeks earlier with minimal experience - when he gave the order to open the gate (by which time he had little choice) - there were no police in the concourse area, none!

Many grounds were sh1tholes back then and fans were treated like animals because of hooliganism despite the majority being law abiding citizens.

There is clear evidence of a police cover-up as testified by coppers there on the day, South Yorkshire Police have a terrible reputation after Orgreave, this and Saville. I applaud the resolve of the Liverpool families who fought for so long for the truth to come out.

The one thing I saw a few months after the verdict of unlawful killing was given was a tweet from a guy who lives in the area that said it's common knowledge amongst the pub landlords that the pubs were rammed not long before kick-off. I can't ever recall this being covered by the media or any of them being called to give evidence, it might not however have made any difference to the verdict as no fan having a drink could have foreseen such grave consequences.

The authorities failed before, during and afterwards - Heysel was completely different and people have served time for that.

Overall - the drink/drug fuelled behaviour of a section of society doesn't ever look like it will change.
    When Albion came back into the top division in 76-77 we played Liverpool at home in the League Cup early in September.

On the car park outside the old Rainbow Stand a furniture removal lorry turned up carrying 100+ Scousers.

Out they jumped with a selection of ladders and preceded to scale the roof of the turnstile area to get into the ground for free which many did.

We saw one lad of about 17-18 ( Albion fan ) on the car park in his pants and socks.......the Scousers has nicked everything else off him and as he complained they’d told him they’d leave him naked if he didn’t shut up!

I was in the Smethwick End that night and at half time 500+ Scousers couldn’t be a r s e d to go to the loo like any normal person and instead they stood in a long line p I s s I n g against the back of the stand at the top of the terracing.

A policewoman blew her whistle to alert them to stop and they all turned around holding their c o c k s and carried on p I s s I n g!

It rolled down the terraces by the gallon.

Not the classiest of fans and always happy to play the the sympathy card.

First of all, hey up Baggies, long time no see on here eh.

This is a tough subject, and I do agree with the idea that they 'scousers' arent as innocent as they want us to believe. And yes.... Heysel... they dont want to talk about that, now why is that, eh ?.

Anybody see the video footage of the rubbish left behind by the Liverpool fans ‘celebrating’ last Saturday night? Absolutely disgusting mess, says everything about Liverpool fans as far as I am concerned, they clearly don’t give a s**t about their own city. Horrible.

Just like the beaches and parks up & down the country, some people seem too thick to realise that they pay a high price for the cleanup in their Council Tax. Idiots

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)