+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Re-signings really work?

Do Re-signings really work?

There's been rumours the last week or so about getting Jordon Ibe and Jeff Hendrick back on board next season, but in doing so are we just admitting to a reduction in circumstances? We already know their limits from their last time here, and going by history on this I'm not sure we can expect more than 80% of their effectiveness from first time round. We currently have three such players on the books (for the next 31 mins anyway) - Tom Huddlestone, Chris Martin and Andre Wisdom, and (although we've seen some good stuff from all three on occasion) I don't think we have seen all we wanted or expected based on our rose tinted memories of their first stints. I can only think of one returnee that matched his first spell when he returned and thats Bobby Davison - are we letting our hearts rule our heads with this keenness/obsession with rehiring players?

Yes, when it's gone it's gone and don't look back. Although I did rate Ibe when he was here last!

Archie Gemmil worked, well, a certain free kick in the FA Cup against a certain team, springs to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    There's been rumours the last week or so about getting Jordon Ibe and Jeff Hendrick back on board next season, but in doing so are we just admitting to a reduction in circumstances? We already know their limits from their last time here, and going by history on this I'm not sure we can expect more than 80% of their effectiveness from first time round. We currently have three such players on the books (for the next 31 mins anyway) - Tom Huddlestone, Chris Martin and Andre Wisdom, and (although we've seen some good stuff from all three on occasion) I don't think we have seen all we wanted or expected based on our rose tinted memories of their first stints. I can only think of one returnee that matched his first spell when he returned and thats Bobby Davison - are we letting our hearts rule our heads with this keenness/obsession with rehiring players?
    Andy I'm with you when you think about very few go back to a club and are a success . As for Hendrick and Ibe coming don't think that will happen anyway We have to drastically reduce the wage bill not increase it Don't get me wrong I would welcome them both but it ain't going to happen

And if, in the remote likelihood that we sneak up, and don't get demoted back due to alleged financial irregularities, meaning we could afford then, would we want them in those circumstances?

We have to assess on current form not past dreams: Hendrick yes, Ibe no in that case

Bobby Davison looked good during his return in the early nineties. Unfortunately it was only about ten games before he moved off again.

Think Wisdom has eventually proved a good re-acquisition but otherwise agree with MoP and can’t think of anyone else.
    Wouldn’t Hendrick be looking to stay in the Prem anyway?

Aren't all of us, perhaps yourself excepted, wanting to be in the Prem next year too

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Aren't all of us, perhaps yourself excepted, wanting to be in the Prem next year too
    I most certainly am.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    There’s a difference between ‘want’ and realistically expect, GP.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post

Hendrick has failed to agree a new contract at Burnley, so we are hardly likely to be able to afford to pay him more are we? So no chance with him. He is looking for a big payday, and I guess is gambling or his agent is on getting a bigger contract with a club not having to pay a transfer fee.

Ibe hasn't cut it at Bournemouth this season, but again is going to want more wages than we can offer even in the prem should a miracle happen!

So not sure how these rumours square with reduced circumstances as both would require more wages than we currently pay any player!

To be pedantic, martin isn't a resign, he only left the club on loan, using that criteria every player who we have who has been loaned out fits the bill!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)