+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wigan Athletic goes into Admin

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    From all angles. If capacity crowds were allowed back tomorrow I think there'd be a very high risk of violence, attacks on the police, accusations of racism, players walking off the pitch and a likelihood of the game degenerating into a total farce. With the US moving towards civil war (Portland is a war zone right now, just scroll through this independent jouranilsts twitter feed.... https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo), mass unemployment, people cancelling subscriptions to Sky Sports, we are surely now entering the most challenging period football has ever known. I was going to say "since the mid-1980s" but, as bad as things were back then, no club went bust.
    I wonder why you paint such a gloomy picture of the return of the crowds, surely footie supporters aren't going to immediately turn their home grounds into a war zone as soon as they are allowed back inside the grounds? Thick as pig-sh1t some of them, but do you think they aren't aware of what would happen to their clubs and the threat of closed doors? You have know that the vast majority of football fans want no trouble at all but you are imagining an average day in downtown Baghdad.

It looks like the police have lost control in Portland, and I'm not really surprised given the "Us and Them" attitude of the police confronting
    the public in everyday life, and things must be REALLY bad for you to cancel your Sky subscriptions, but what has this to do with your average football game in England?

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    I wonder why you paint such a gloomy picture of the return of the crowds, surely footie supporters aren't going to immediately turn their home grounds into a war zone as soon as they are allowed back inside the grounds? Thick as pig-sh1t some of them, but do you think they aren't aware of what would happen to their clubs and the threat of closed doors? You have know that the vast majority of football fans want no trouble at all but you are imagining an average day in downtown Baghdad.

It looks like the police have lost control in Portland, and I'm not really surprised given the "Us and Them" attitude of the police confronting
    the public in everyday life, and things must be REALLY bad for you to cancel your Sky subscriptions, but what has this to do with your average football game in England?
    We've reached the point where literally one person can now force a game to be abandoned by shouting something. In the current climate, that's more likely to happen than not. Hopefully things calm down by the time fans are allowed back into stadiums (Autumn?) but what's unfolding in the USA right now is very alarming and, as we've already seen, Britain tends to take its' cultural cues from that side of the pond. Couple that with Covid-19 and the consequences of lockdown, I'm struggling to feel optimistic or even care about football at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    We've reached the point where literally one person can now force a game to be abandoned by shouting something. In the current climate, that's more likely to happen than not. Hopefully things calm down by the time fans are allowed back into stadiums (Autumn?) but what's unfolding in the USA right now is very alarming and, as we've already seen, Britain tends to take its' cultural cues from that side of the pond. Couple that with Covid-19 and the consequences of lockdown, I'm struggling to feel optimistic or even care about football at the moment.
    Culture? From America??

Wigan Athletic supporters club are requesting financial support from EFL to keep club going.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53309675

Did Notts get any financial support from EFL when we were in Admin for 18 months?

the public in everyday life
    You're probably right on a national level - the US police seems to be brutal - but in Portland actually the opposite is true.

I think the mayor controls the police and the mayor is very close to antifa, so much so that in the past police have even been unwilling to intervene during assaults by antifa.

That is why one of the Twitter feeds on UTM's link referred specifically to federal police battling the rioters.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    You're probably right on a national level - the US police seems to be brutal - but in Portland actually the opposite is true.

I think the mayor controls the police and the mayor is very close to antifa, so much so that in the past police have even been unwilling to intervene during assaults by antifa.

That is why one of the Twitter feeds on UTM's link referred specifically to federal police battling the rioters.
    When I said "police" I was referring to the law enforcement officers who were confronting the demonstrators, which branch of LEO matters little to whoever is being battered. Please note, I am taking no sides here, whoever started the riot and whoever retaliated turned the whole demonstration into a battleground - an "Us and Them" scenario where the "police"(Us?) fought whoever stood their ground (Them).

Whoever was to blame, it is certain that law enforcement in America is on a whole different level to what one would expect in a civilized society.

When I said "police" I was referring to the law enforcement officers who were confronting the demonstrators, which branch of LEO matters little to whoever is being battered. Please note, I am taking no sides here, whoever started the riot and whoever retaliated turned the whole demonstration into a battleground - an "Us and Them" scenario where the "police"(Us?) fought whoever stood their ground (Them).

Whoever was to blame, it is certain that law enforcement in America is on a whole different level to what one would expect in a civilized society.
    Yes we actually agree on this, but I was just pointing out that the situation in Portland is not the result of police brutality - antifa have had the run of the city for years and in many cases carry out brutality themselves.

In true NCM style, we've jumped from Wigan to Portland in one smooth step.

EFL chairman Rick Parry says English football has been 'disrespected'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53341269

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast