+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael O'Connor..

Michael O'Connor..

Has been released from Salford. He is one player I wouldnt mind to see back at Notts...especially with our current style of play instead of the garbage served up under Nolan. Still only 32 as well.

If we're were promoted would you have him back?

Depends. What's his injury record been like of late?

Looking at his stats tho, 475 apps in what, 12+ years?

Not that shabby. Praps the 'sick note' tag was undeserved. Would he come here?

Not for me, same as those calling for Bishop to come back. We need to keep the likes of O'Brien whilst developing Crawford, Booty, Roberts and Osborne etc. Let's forget the past and focus on the future and growing a squad of good young players that we can actually make some money from in the future whilst ensuring the financial sustainability of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Not for me, same as those calling for Bishop to come back. We need to keep the likes of O'Brien whilst developing Crawford, Booty, Roberts and Osborne etc. Let's forget the past and focus on the future and growing a squad of good young players that we can actually make some money from in the future whilst ensuring the financial sustainability of the club.
    Agreed.

If O'Connor is not good enough for Salford he is not good enough for us.

I completely agree. We are a club under a new ownership and new direction going forward. Doyle and O’Brien are more than capable and enough senior central midfielders. Doyle will not play forever but he has played at a much higher level, has the drive and hunger for the game and can do a worthy job at this level.

We will always need senior players but I’d sooner us bring in the likes or Doyle and Turner who have played at the higher levels for big clubs and bring that experience, drive and hunger for the game. Similar applies to the likes of O’Brien.

With the right combination of younger developing players it’s a good formula to stand a chance of success.

Hopefully the days of our scouting range being a list of players that have previously played for us (or against us, Rob Burch I'm looking at you) are long gone.

Is Josh Lillis available still??

Some good points there. Personally I would have him back, he has everything a midfielder needs and also captain material. It sounds a bit backwards but he would be a future senior player akin to Doyle and O'Brien now!

The club does seem to be recruiting very well at the minute so, like some have said, perhaps not. I just felt he left Notts too early, we sorely missed him the season after.....and he then captained Lincoln to promotion. He could be 'great' in a midfield 3....and that's where I feel we need strengthening.

Not for me thanks, I think we could do better.

I feel O'Connor leaving us was a reason we went down into non league. When he came on at half time in the home leg against Coventry, he changed the game and we never replaced him. Would I want him back? Maybe but I think we need to look for younger players

I believe your comments are spot on. We maybe in the National League, but we now appear to have excellent directors who know their way around players, and a management structure that is providing stability. We must develop our own players, not bringing those whose best days are behind them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast