+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michael O'Connor..

Its a no from me

Not for me thanks . He wanted to leave so sod him... We now have better players with better attitudes, who actually want to play for us..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Not for me thanks . He wanted to leave so sod him... We now have better players with better attitudes, who actually want to play for us..
    I think he left because we only offered him a 1 year contract but Lincoln offered 2. If that is correct who can blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I think he left because we only offered him a 1 year contract but Lincoln offered 2. If that is correct who can blame him.
    I think you are bang right there, he was an excellent player who got badly injured at a terrible time, really liked what he brought to the team but we now have players equally as good but a lot younger.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Not for me, same as those calling for Bishop to come back. We need to keep the likes of O'Brien whilst developing Crawford, Booty, Roberts and Osborne etc. Let's forget the past and focus on the future and growing a squad of good young players that we can actually make some money from in the future whilst ensuring the financial sustainability of the club.
    Yes. Notts County in recent years have signed far too many players whose careers are already on a flatlining or downward trajectory, and therefore we should not be entirely surprised that the club's trajectory has gone in much the same way.

Our most successful teams, built by Jimmy Sirrel and Neil warnock have been built by combining up-and-coming, hungry young players with other pros mostly in their mid-to-late twenties who may have had relatively unheralded careers but possessed more talent than they had been given credit for, and were still determined to prove themselves.

Having one or two genuine old heads like a Don O'Riordan isn't a bad thing if they are surrounded by energy and enthusiasm, but the last thing you want is too many old pros or players whose careers are plainly drifting gently downwards. Their fire is already dying.

Callum Roberts and Kyle Wootton are good examples of what we're looking for. Young talent that has previously been somewhat overlooked, but who are champing at the bit to get their careers moving.
    Last edited by jackal2; 01-07-2020 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Yes. Notts County in recent years have signed far too many players whose careers are already on a flatlining or downward trajectory, and therefore we should not be entirely surprised that the club's trajectory has gone in much the same way.

Our most successful teams, built by Jimmy Sirrel and Neil warnock have been built by combining up-and-coming, hungry young players with other pros mostly in their mid-to-late twenties who may have had relatively unheralded careers but possessed more talent than they had been given credit for, and were still determined to prove themselves.

Having one or two genuine old heads like a Don O'Riordan isn't a bad thing if they are surrounded by energy and enthusiasm, but the last thing you want is too many old pros or players whose careers are plainly drifting gently downwards. Their fire is already dying.

Callum Roberts and Kyle Wootton are good examples of what we're looking for. Young talent that has previously been somewhat overlooked, but who are champing at the bit to get their careers moving.

Seems like it's a big fat 'No' from the massed ranks. Come to think of it, how many 'Magpies Revisited' have been half decent on their return?

Stall, Masson, Big Tone?

Don't ask me about 'modern players', we've had half a billion in the last 20 years. Teks me all my borax to member the Matchday squad.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Not for me, same as those calling for Bishop to come back. We need to keep the likes of O'Brien whilst developing Crawford, Booty, Roberts and Osborne etc. Let's forget the past and focus on the future and growing a squad of good young players that we can actually make some money from in the future whilst ensuring the financial sustainability of the club.
    Stop talking sense! It's dangerous you know. If you have powers of motivation you'd make a good manager!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12