+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Sweden and Switzerland have the highest number of immigrants in Europe per population, neither had empires and stayed neutral in recent conflicts.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by avondalemiller View Post
    ...we should cut all ties with China, and all contracts where they are involved, they're bad news all round.
    . Totally agree. Not only are they stiffing Hong-Kong they have given the world the virus. 500,000 deaths world wide.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    What?
    You were talking about immigration as a legacy of empire.

You were talking about immigration as a legacy of empire.
    I wasnt.

Many on here have been saying our Empire is history and in the distant past; we today should not be held responsible for stuff our ancestors did.

I made a couple of post saying things done in the past in the name of Colonialism still endure today. We cannot separate ourselves from our history as its still relevant. The problems in Hong Kong is evidence that what I said is true.

This is about China going back on its word, what was agreed. You're just an apologist for the Chinese communist government.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    I wasnt.

Many on here have been saying our Empire is history and in the distant past; we today should not be held responsible for stuff our ancestors did.

I made a couple of post saying things done in the past in the name of Colonialism still endure today. We cannot separate ourselves from our history as its still relevant. The problems in Hong Kong is evidence that what I said is true.
    Agree with that WanChai Colonialisms effects do still endure today
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 02-07-2020 at 07:06 AM.

So we're back to white European people (and them alone) paying for the sins of their ancestors.

So we're back to white European people (and them alone) paying for the sins of their ancestors.
    No just Britain.

Spain, Portugal, Belgium, France and Germany don't give a flying fig about the mayhem their colonialisation caused.

It's a cause for the British sheep to bleat about

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    No just Britain.

Spain, Portugal, Belgium, France and Germany don't give a flying fig about the mayhem their colonialisation caused.

It's a cause for the British sheep to bleat about
    So you can now speak on behalf of the people of Spain, Portugal, Belgium, France and Germany
    How do you manage to do that?
    Interesting that you accept that their colonialisation caused mayhem but presumably ours didn't

Sweden and Switzerland have the highest number of immigrants in Europe per population, neither had empires and stayed neutral in recent conflicts.
    Not that this is in any way relevant to the immigration aspect Fire, or legacy of empire, but as a student of WW2 I want to comment on Sweden's "neutrality". The Nazi war machine very much relied on Swedish iron ore. And Sweden was more than willing to sell it. Likewise Sweden was more than happy to allow safe passage through its territory to German soldiers returning from Norway to Germany for leave, or re-posting.

Back to immigration, the language most commonly being taught today in Sweden by Duolingo is in fact Swedish. I know this because I am presently learning Spanish and the Duolingo app keeps feeding me little nuggets of trivia.

PS immigration is causing significant unrest in Swedish society.

Pps, Sweden did, once upon a time, actually have an empire.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast