+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: O/T Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    So we're back to white European people (and them alone) paying for the sins of their ancestors.
    Well it is a thread about HK and the hand over of rule from Britain to China.

Quote Originally Posted by avondalemiller View Post
    ...we should cut all ties with China, and all contracts where they are involved, they're bad news all round.
    Be an intetesting few years in Britain if we unravel ties with both China and the EU at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    So we're back to white European people (and them alone) paying for the sins of their ancestors.
    You don't have to go that far back Fire , how many refugees were created in the aftermath of the second Iraq war when it descended in to civil war ? .

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy King of the West View Post
    Not that this is in any way relevant to the immigration aspect Fire, or legacy of empire, but as a student of WW2 I want to comment on Sweden's "neutrality". The Nazi war machine very much relied on Swedish iron ore. And Sweden was more than willing to sell it. Likewise Sweden was more than happy to allow safe passage through its territory to German soldiers returning from Norway to Germany for leave, or re-posting.

Back to immigration, the language most commonly being taught today in Sweden by Duolingo is in fact Swedish. I know this because I am presently learning Spanish and the Duolingo app keeps feeding me little nuggets of trivia.

PS immigration is causing significant unrest in Swedish society.

Pps, Sweden did, once upon a time, actually have an empire.
    And the Swiss in true Swiss fashion made money hand over fist from both the Axis & Allied sides but of course were neutral

Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    This is about China going back on its word, what was agreed. You're just an apologist for the Chinese communist government.
    HK is split on it. A bit like Brexit here. Not all Hongkongers support the pro democracy movement. Many think the protests are bringing the city to its knees and want it to end. HK went into recession the middle of last year off the back of it.

The split in support is by and large by age. Broadly it seems the younger element are in support of the protest and older generations not.

People in China (and HK) do not view their Government the way many do over here. They are massively supportive of the Party and Xi Jinping. I suspect they feel they have more freedoms and a higher standard of living now than under previous regimes. All things are relative I suppose.

The outrage is your reaction and not one necessarily felt across China or by all in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    Won’t rebuild it in U.K. unless they put em all on lose if white (or not so black) 😂

Seriously I get what you mean but you can’t leave them there and in long run they will benefit the U.K. and who knows we may get a extra bank holiday for Chinese New Year

Now that’s what I call a true Chinese take away 😆

more immigrants? *** k off

white power

I'm not outraged WanChaiMiller bout what's happening in hk. I'm narked bout what's happening. I'm more bothered that China refuses to accept responsibility for the virus. Outraged is not a word I would use. Pissed off is more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy King of the West View Post

Pps, Sweden did, once upon a time, actually have an empire.
    I forgot about that, a Scandinavian Empire at it's height in the 17th century, unrelated to the immigrants from North Africa, Somalia and the former Yugoslavia who live there now.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    HK is split on it. A bit like Brexit here. Not all Hongkongers support the pro democracy movement. Many think the protests are bringing the city to its knees and want it to end. HK went into recession the middle of last year off the back of it.

The split in support is by and large by age. Broadly it seems the younger element are in support of the protest and older generations not.

People in China (and HK) do not view their Government the way many do over here. They are massively supportive of the Party and Xi Jinping. I suspect they feel they have more freedoms and a higher standard of living now than under previous regimes. All things are relative I suppose.

The outrage is your reaction and not one necessarily felt across China or by all in Hong Kong.
    I get what your saying but that may change in the future, in democracy you can always have a vote on something but if democracy is turned off due to Chinese oppression you will never get it back

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post

I guess the Uighurs, Tibetans are loving their new found freedoms and the Taiwanese can hardly wait to join in.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast