+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: O/T Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    . Got to agree with the above. Sooner have the people from hk than more kiddy fiddlers.
    Nods

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Its quite funny the same people keep blaming colonialism (which has existing for thousands of years) we need to look forward as a nation not backwards. If as projected a few hundred thousand come over from HK its most likely they will be highly skilled, highly educated and highly motivated and they will be able to fill any skill and tech gaps we have

As the saying goes backward people tend to look backwards
    Like the old training of employees argument.

Backward thinking Boss "I'm worried if we train our people they will leave us".
    Forward thinking Boss "I'm worried if we don't train our people they will stay".

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Its quite funny the same people keep blaming colonialism (which has existing for thousands of years) we need to look forward as a nation not backwards. If as projected a few hundred thousand come over from HK its most likely they will be highly skilled, highly educated and highly motivated and they will be able to fill any skill and tech gaps we have

As the saying goes backward people tend to look backwards
    Lol. Youve mixed the 2 arguments and come out with an a*se about t*t conclusion

Im blaming colonialism for the current situation in HK. Im not against them coming here.

Its those that deny colonialism has an impact today that dont seem to want immigrants here either.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Lol. Youve mixed the 2 arguments and come out with an a*se about t*t conclusion

Im blaming colonialism for the current situation in HK. Im not against them coming here.

Its those that deny colonialism has an impact today that dont seem to want immigrants here either.
    I’ve got you nailed, you can warp any backward thinking argument which you often do. It’s really silly, not understanding history or poor political knowledge on your behalf isn’t an excuse.

I lived in HK for seven years up to 1993. It was a time when many were considering leaving in the run up to the handover. People were very nervous about what would happen. I worked for a UK based company and we did a lot to try to help people who wanted to leave. The reality was that very, very few were interested in taking up the opportunity then available to emigrate to the UK. The vast majority that left went to Canada and New Zealand with a fair few going to Singapore and the US.

I don’t think a lot has changed. Those that wanted (or in some cases had) to leave have already gone and a lot live between the old country and wherever they went in the Pacific ring.

These latest changes in the rules are unlikely to drive large numbers of people out. The older and middle aged groups are willing to live with the changes. They are Chinese first and hardly had what we describe as democracy under British rule.

The younger ones are making the noise as Wan Chai Miller says. They were born after the handover, were raised with greater expectations of living in a freer, more democratic society and feel they have been sold down the river. They are plugged into the rest of the world through social media.

I see more of them wanting (and in some cases having) to leave. I don’t see many choosing the UK since they have very little connection with it given their age. Better to go and live with aunties and uncles in Vancouver, San Francisco or Auckland where there are very well developed HK Chinese communities.

Those that stay and try to fight will have both the political system and the vast majority of their parents generation against them and it won’t end well...

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    I lived in HK for seven years up to 1993. It was a time when many were considering leaving in the run up to the handover. People were very nervous about what would happen. I worked for a UK based company and we did a lot to try to help people who wanted to leave. The reality was that very, very few were interested in taking up the opportunity then available to emigrate to the UK. The vast majority that left went to Canada and New Zealand with a fair few going to Singapore and the US.

I don’t think a lot has changed. Those that wanted (or in some cases had) to leave have already gone and a lot live between the old country and wherever they went in the Pacific ring.

These latest changes in the rules are unlikely to drive large numbers of people out. The older and middle aged groups are willing to live with the changes. They are Chinese first and hardly had what we describe as democracy under British rule.

The younger ones are making the noise as Wan Chai Miller says. They were born after the handover, were raised with greater expectations of living in a freer, more democratic society and feel they have been sold down the river. They are plugged into the rest of the world through social media.

I see more of them wanting (and in some cases having) to leave. I don’t see many choosing the UK since they have very little connection with it given their age. Better to go and live with aunties and uncles in Vancouver, San Francisco or Auckland where there are very well developed HK Chinese communities.

Those that stay and try to fight will have both the political system and the vast majority of their parents generation against them and it won’t end well...
    Well said. I have visited HK numerous times, the feeling is that, like you say, the younger ones dont really like the Chinese at all. It's a beautiful place, bit expensive, but well worth a visit before it gets ruined by one side or the other. The freedom of the Internet will soon come under the "Great Firewall of China", then the young uns will kick off. Think i'll get some shares in Express VPN...lol

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345