+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O the OLIE kOKI from the U23/SQUAD...

Quote Originally Posted by bfcjon View Post
    Barrie, We are treading water!! We have been for a while,as a Cllub.
    To Move on , from going under the water , To staying afloat ,We need our Chairman to take a calculated gamble now and then,..Or we listen to a Takeover,....Unfortunately Mr Garlic is not prepared to do that,..So my only hope is a Takeover/ Investment ,...
    I Cannot see otherwise, how we will improve,...The only way is Down at the moment if we stick as we are.
    Five consecutive seasons in the EPL sort of contradicts your point bfcjon. Gibson, Wells and Hart were all "calculated gambles" and they did not work out to well mate.

Five consecutive seasons in the EPL -Is that treading water? Be realistic we cannot ever match ManU,Man City,Liverpool etc,we simply do not have the fan base.So we find our "niche" and keep building on it - I see no other sensible way forward.At some time in the future something will happen which will bring down the financial madness of the EPL and when it does we want our Club to be one of the survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by barrie_burn View Post
    Five consecutive seasons in the EPL -Is that treading water? Be realistic we cannot ever match ManU,Man City,Liverpool etc,we simply do not have the fan base.So we find our "niche" and keep building on it - I see no other sensible way forward.At some time in the future something will happen which will bring down the financial madness of the EPL and when it does we want our Club to be one of the survivors.
    We have a financial crisis running amok across all sorts of businesses.

After due and careful consideration I think Garlick is right, batten down the hatches and ride out the storm.

Attachment 16224

would've been nice to see what Koiki could do - whats been done for him over the last 4 years or so - will just have to see how he does at his next destination - and good luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by bfcjon View Post
    .... We are treading water!!

So we've done it whether you like it or not, cat 1 academy.

Quote Originally Posted by antifootball View Post
    So we've done it whether you like it or not, cat 1 academy.
    Great stuff!

Attachment 16259

In all honesty, the whole complex at Gawthorpe was in great need of refurbishment and this is something which I think that Sean Dyche set as a priority not long after he took over in 2012.
    It was 4 years in the planning and raising the necessary funds which became available when we won promotion in 2014/5. The work started in 2016 when we were back in the Championship, however, when the players returned to training for the 2017/18 season the complex was complete and it really is an amazing complex which is worthy of a PL Club.

Obviously,a lot of work has continued to develop the Academy status to what has been achieved today and it is to the club's credit that they have continued the plan with the strategy of attracting and developing better players. In addition, much credit has to be given to Sean Dyche for ensuring that we have kept our place in the PL and improved the whole infrastructure of the Club. All of this will certainly help in attracting a new manager when, or if, Sean decides to move on. If you ever get a chance to go into the complex then please do so, as Claret Matelot will tell you, it really is worth seeing.
    Name:  IMG_3055.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  77.7 KBName:  IMG_3054 (2).jpg
Views: 137
Size:  60.1 KB

I've heard of "Youth Development", but the chap next to Duffer is taking it to the extreme!

It's all well and good, but I'm still a bit 'meh' about it, it enhances the image of the club, the facilities were in serious need of upgrading and now we have state of the art training facilities and academy status. I just can't get too excited about it, I keep reading that we should now get players coming through that will improve the team, and we should be able to sell some on and make money, but in the last ten years we've reached 7th in the PL and qualified for Europe without the aid of any youth development players and we are one of the very few clubs in world football without any debt and running at a profit, and all without any money from selling products of our youth system. As long as it doesn't cost us an arm and a leg to run it, it can't do any harm, but given our record over the last ten years without any contribution from youth development, it all seems a bit superfluous to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    It's all well and good, but I'm still a bit 'meh' about it, it enhances the image of the club, the facilities were in serious need of upgrading and now we have state of the art training facilities and academy status. I just can't get too excited about it, I keep reading that we should now get players coming through that will improve the team, and we should be able to sell some on and make money, but in the last ten years we've reached 7th in the PL and qualified for Europe without the aid of any youth development players and we are one of the very few clubs in world football without any debt and running at a profit, and all without any money from selling products of our youth system. As long as it doesn't cost us an arm and a leg to run it, it can't do any harm, but given our record over the last ten years without any contribution from youth development, it all seems a bit superfluous to me.
    I'm sure that there were people saying the same about Gawthorpe in the 50's Mon Ami.

Good job our Bob didn't listen to them!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)