+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cocu v Lampard

Cocu v Lampard

According to Sky tonight, after 40 matches in charge Cocu’s and Lampard’s records are virtually identical...only separated by a two goal GD.
    So who has achieved most for Derby?

Lampard got us to the play off final and it remains to be seen if Cocu will, though personally I doubt it.

On the other hand Lampard immediately introduced three youngsters of Premiership quality who he basically built the team around last season.

Not only has Cocu had to cope with the loss of those three players who, along with Keogh, were the heartbeat of that side, but he has also had to deal with more in the way of bad luck and complications this season than some managers encounter in a whole career.

So, in my opinion, uncomplaining Cocu wins the day. The way he has managed disaster after disaster this season and still managed to introduce the youngsters so effectively and keep us in contention has been mightily impressive.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    According to Sky tonight, after 40 matches in charge Cocu’s and Lampard’s records are virtually identical...only separated by a two goal GD.
    So who has achieved most for Derby?

Lampard got us to the play off final and it remains to be seen if Cocu will, though personally I doubt it.

On the other hand Lampard immediately introduced three youngsters of Premiership quality who he basically built the team around last season.

Not only has Cocu had to cope with the loss of those three players who, along with Keogh, were the heartbeat of that side, but he has also had to deal with more in the way of bad luck and complications this season than some managers encounter in a whole career.

So, in my opinion, uncomplaining Cocu wins the day. The way he has managed disaster after disaster this season and still managed to introduce the youngsters so effectively and keep us in contention has been mightily impressive.

Thoughts?
    Difficult one and how do you compare given the seasons ahve been so different? The enforced break seems to have rejuvenated Derby and we continue to get wins - some my quibble about performances but ultimately its results that matter and so far so good.

Given what Lampard has achieved at Chelski in the top flight then he is the better manager at the moment. If Cocu gets us to a play off final then he will managed the same achievement, if he gets promotion then he will ahve achieved more its that simple - the whys and wherefores to who has achieved more are irrelevant IMO.

However I will say that if we get top 6 then my assessment of Cocu earlier this season was wrong. In fact given where we are I'm happy to admit he seems to be a good appointment.

Chalk and cheese. Which is which, I don't know but I will say that both the chalk and the cheese are of the very best quality.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Chalk and cheese. Which is which, I don't know but I will say that both the chalk and the cheese are of the very best quality.
    I honestly think that walking into a club that had lost its three best players from the previous season, having little time to prepare, having to deal with ‘Joinersgate’, losing the club captain and talisman, being constantly surrounded by rumours of points deductions, facing up to the complexities of the pandemic and then having arguably this season’s most improved player stabbed, would have broken a lesser man.
    Regardless of whether we make the top six or not Cocu has proved himself this season, imo, and I am full of optimism as long as he stays.

Cocu, Lamps is a Judas! Also liking the smarter look from Cocu!

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    I think you just have pogonophobia, MoP. Must have been tough since lockdown.
    My wife, who has zero interest in football, did look up last night to suggest ‘he seems like a nice man...needs a better fitting suit though’.

They have both been very good Lampard for getting us to the final . That I never thought possible when I say at Villa Park watching us being embarrassed Then Cocu with every thing that's happened and still happening There was a time in early December I was sure we would be in relegation trouble Don't forget he's really only signed Bielic because I would imagine Rooney was picked for him same Shinnie So whatever happens now and I'm sure we're not good enough for the playoffs at the moment Cocu shades it for me

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I think you just have pogonophobia, MoP.
    OK RA I had to look that one up but I don't suffer from it! I just thought his appearance at times wasn't a good look. It's surprising what soap water and a razor can do!

OK RA I had to look that one up but I don't suffer from it! I just thought his appearance at times wasn't a good look. It's surprising what soap water and a razor can do!
    Care rather more for some good luck rather than his ‘good look’ today, MoP.

Hardly Mel gave him permission to go and got a few million in compo, plus we seem to have a decent replacement!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)