+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking The Knee

Taking The Knee

Your team 'took the knee' on saturday.

If you'd been there, would you have, either actually or symbolically?

There's a photo doing the rounds of the first dissenter, as it happens a member of a female football team

I think that there’s something of a case of ‘less is more’ now, Andy.
    It’s become a bit of a habit and correspondingly less meaningful.
    ‘Symbolically’...yes I would, for the first match back...probably not for every match.

No I wouldn't have, and that's actually or symbolically, I have no problem with other people doing as it's their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    No I wouldn't have, and that's actually or symbolically, I have no problem with other people doing as it's their choice.
    I agree with Moppy. If you "want to do it" then fine.
    But no one should be judged or abused for not doing it. That is coercion.

I'm in the forces camp regarding bending the knee.
    To propose
    visit the queen and be Knighted
    To God
    Aim better

Free country means that. If you think it's symballic to you. Then please do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    I agree with Moppy. If you "want to do it" then fine.
    But no one should be judged or abused for not doing it. That is coercion.

I'm in the forces camp regarding bending the knee.
    To propose
    visit the queen and be Knighted
    To God
    Aim better

Free country means that. If you think it's symballic to you. Then please do so.
    Lol...Tricky adopts the Dominic Raab position...big surprise.

Strangely I’ve proposed twice...been accepted twice too...didn’t ‘take the knee’ either time. Not likely to be knighted and don’t believe in God.

Its a bit like praying I guess. If you believe, then bend down and pray, if you don't believe, then respect others rights to their belief but don't cheapen their beliefs by "pretending" to share them.

Personally I would not "take a knee" because, whilst I understand and sympathise with the cause, the action is meaningless to me: its an American thing, standing hand on heart before the flag during anthems. Its not part of British culture - when did you last see anyone stand for the national anthem at the end of a film for example. Americans have a much more gung ho "isn't the US great" approach to national pride and so the knee had great impact when it was adopted there. So much so that Colin Kaepernick hasnt worked since, despite being a talented QB.

Here it is, by definition, less impactful and seems to me to be simply a gesture. This genuflection smacks of cultural appropriation. The cause deserves better than that, but that would require some imagination to tailor it to fit our culture.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Lol...Tricky adopts the Dominic Raab position...big surprise.

Strangely I’ve proposed twice...been accepted twice too...didn’t ‘take the knee’ either time. Not likely to be knighted and don’t believe in God.
    Not a traditionalist then? Gimp mask?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Its a bit like praying I guess. If you believe, then bend down and pray, if you don't believe, then respect others rights to their belief but don't cheapen their beliefs by "pretending" to share them.

Personally I would not "take a knee" because, whilst I understand and sympathise with the cause, the action is meaningless to me: its an American thing, standing hand on heart before the flag during anthems. Its not part of British culture - when did you last see anyone stand for the national anthem at the end of a film for example. Americans have a much more gung ho "isn't the US great" approach to national pride and so the knee had great impact when it was adopted there. So much so that Colin Kaepernick hasnt worked since, despite being a talented QB.

Here it is, by definition, less impactful and seems to me to be simply a gesture. This genuflection smacks of cultural appropriation. The cause deserves better than that, but that would require some imagination to tailor it to fit our culture.
    Fair points GP. Do they still play the national anthem at the end of films?

Gimp mask? No idea why you’ve written that, Tricky.

I shed a tear at the end of Cool Runnings - does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    I shed a tear at the end of Cool Runnings - does that count?
    Only if you've watched Black Panther to make up for it

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)