+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Effects of playoff success or failure

Effects of playoff success or failure

From the remaining squad of 24 I think only 6 have contracts for next season - Wootton, Roberts, Boldewijn, Bakayogo, Brooks and Kean. I’m also led to believe that Dennis has the option of a third season.
    If our season ends in success I would imagine that the club would prefer the vast majority of the 17/18 players to agree new contracts.
    Playoff failure however could see a situation where the playing staff undergoes a big change because of possible offers from the EFL for some players who don’t relish another season in the NL.
    I sincerely hope that yet another change round doesn’t happen because in previous seasons (not including this one) it hasn’t ended well.

Quote Originally Posted by boland View Post
    From the remaining squad of 24 I think only 6 have contracts for next season - Wootton, Roberts, Boldewijn, Bakayogo, Brooks and Kean. I’m also led to believe that Dennis has the option of a third season.
    If our season ends in success I would imagine that the club would prefer the vast majority of the 17/18 players to agree new contracts.
    Playoff failure however could see a situation where the playing staff undergoes a big change because of possible offers from the EFL for some players who don’t relish another season in the NL.
    I sincerely hope that yet another change round doesn’t happen because in previous seasons (not including this one) it hasn’t ended well.
    Football League clubs might not be in a position to offer contracts. League 2 are supposedly going to implement a wage cap of £1.5m

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Football League clubs might not be in a position to offer contracts. League 2 are supposedly going to implement a wage cap of £1.5m
    Money talks and our revenue is a match for the majority of League 2 so not overly concerned about losing too many. There maybe 1 or 2 who get tempted by the higher level but I get the feeling with most of this squad that if we don’t go up that there is a mentality of unfinished business.

I think if we stayed in the national league AND managed to keep most of this squad together we'd run away with the league next season, I think if it hadn't been for the start to our season and getting the squad together at the last minute we would have got automatic this season and I think we might have still had a chance with the momentum and form we had to catch Barrow had it not been for the league stopping.

A Cotterill/Munto finish to this season wouldn't have been out of the question imo with how well we were doing

The main priority would be keeping hold of Lacey, Enzio, DKE, Brindley and Slocombe imo. Lacey would probably be the most likely to go anywhere on a free, I think Enzio's wages are high enough that he will be here till the contract Hardy gave him finishes at least and I wouldn't be too concerned about the odd few leaving as imo Ardley has shown he can be trusted to bring in good players in his time here.
    Last edited by Freeman25; 02-07-2020 at 04:35 PM.