+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: It might be interesting to see these figures this time next year

It might be interesting to see these figures this time next year

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/st...256705/photo/1

If you click on the table and pan down to the next table and see average weekly wages it shows what we were up against in the Championship last time.

Interesting to note Wigan's income was less than us but paying 2.5 timesish pore than us in weekly average wages (£3.8k to 9k).
    No wonder they are in the shyte. Interesting too that Preston less income than us and teams like Reading/ Bolton not too much more.

Its gonna be a toughy again next season lets hope that playing field evens up a bit to give us a chance.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 02-07-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Check out Bolton's figures against our own.

Similar income level for both clubs, but they spent nearly twice as much on wages.

Their wage/income ratio was 99% but ours was 56%.

Both clubs relegated to League One.

One season later and we're back were we started in the Championship and they're now in League Two

Some on here constantly ask for the club/directors to spend more money. Be careful what you ask for. Money doesn't automatically buy you points. Plus, we've been there before and it wasn't nice.

Wigan probably won't be the last, player wages are ridiculous.

The 6.1 m gap of ours between income and wages may suggest a bit of lee way with wages but i know it aint that simple. I'm quite proud that we are one of the few clubs in the footy league to not have serious debts and I trust Warney will come up with some gems again this season. Whether that will be enough to keep us up we shall see. Its daft spending beyond our means tho.

Id be worried if I was a Reading fan, they've been out of the prem for a while and spending like no tomorrow

Looking at those figures, we deserved a medal. LIKe trying to fight with one hand behind your back.

Its quite revealing isn't it? and shows that the short term mindset of football fans is counter to a sustainable football club.
    I recall listening to Wigan playing Leeds when they went 1 nil down and then got a player sent off. They came back to win that match and pretty much damned our Championship survival hopes. iI was disappointed that we couldn't compete and back in league 1. The impacts of spending beyond your means doesn't happen in 1 season (watch Peterborough closely in the next two seasons) So we got the relegation whilst Wigan stayed up. We spent wisely, whilst Wigan didnt. Only two years later does this reveal itself. Meh!
    But! with Stewart and Warne at the helm i know i have a football club to support long into the future.

Yep, maybe one day we might even be able to feel a little smug with ourselves UTM