+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bishop & Kennedy speculation addressed by Ardley

Bishop & Kennedy speculation addressed by Ardley

Neal Ardley says he has not had any conversations regarding bringing Neal Bishop back to Notts County.

Speculation on social media also linked the Magpies boss with a move for Stevenage forward Ben Kennedy.

But Ardley says he has not had any conversations regarding the pair who are currently free agents.

He has looked at many players over the last three months while football has been in lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic, but is not being rushed into any decisions.

“I’ve not had any conversations about those two,” he said.

“We’ve looked at loads of players but we’ve not just looked and said we liked them.

“Myself, Neil Cox (assistant boss) and a number of scouts have graded them and compared them to our own squad.

“We are trying to do everything where we will improve with the signings we make, hopefully.”

Bishop was released by Mansfield at the end of this season, but is regarded as a legend at Meadow Lane after helping them to the League Two title in 2010.

He spent four years at the club where he made more than 180 league and cup appearances.

And Kennedy is said to be a striker that is in demand following his departure from Stevenage.

The striker has scored 27 goals in more than 160 games for Boro, but did not find the target in 21 appearances last term.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...ardley-4287438

Bishop is probably too old, maybe if we didn't have Doyle but I suspect he'll carry on.

Ben Kennedy just no. Hasn't scored in 21 games, didn't have a prolific reputation before that. Why would we replace Dermis, Wootton or Thomas with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Bishop is probably too old, maybe if we didn't have Doyle but I suspect he'll carry on.

Ben Kennedy just no. Hasn't scored in 21 games, didn't have a prolific reputation before that. Why would we replace Dermis, Wootton or Thomas with that?
    Midfielder/Forward according to Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Ke...er,_born_1997)

Who's Dermis? Bet he's as titus owt.

No & No

It's a flat "no" from me to Neal Bishop. Did a great job for us in his time, but as I stated on a separate thread, the club is not going to move forward by signing old players whose careers are in decline. We've got one old head the club and in midfield already in Michael Doyle and that's sufficient in terms of having an old pro around the place to advise the youngsters.

Regarding Ben Kennedy, on face value I have to say his record doesn't impress. However, the most impressive thing that has happened in the past year is the improvement in our scouting and recruitment, which you have to think is somewhat attributable to the information available from Football Radar. It used to frustrate me how other clubs managed to unearth diamonds with previously unspectacular records for next to nothing and turn them into star players, while we paid shedloads for busted flushes like Izale McLeod and David Vaughan.

At long last we seem to be the ones picking up good value, unheralded gems like Alex Lacey, Connell Rawlinson, Callum Roberts and Kyle Wootton, none of whose prior records would lead you to think they were as good they actually are. It could be that Ben Kennedy is another talent who hasn't previously been used in the right way but could come alive with the right management and system. I don't know, but based on recent experience, and considering he's only 23, if the club think he's worth a punt I'll trust their judgement and wait to be impressed.

Of course, this whole statement could be pointless if Ardley's telling the truth that they aren't actually targets anyway!
    Last edited by jackal2; 02-07-2020 at 09:40 PM.

Bishop is regarded as a legend of the Lane. Who will ever forget his goal in the FA Cup against Man City in early 2011 in front on the Kop? That is nearly ten years ago. Then later on that year leading us out in Turin against Juventus for their stadium opening. The night we did ourselves proud in the Cup against Forest at the City Ground.

That’s where Bishop needs to remain in my opinion a legend of our only successful period in the past twenty years. Let’s remember him as he played for us ten years ago.

He will be 39 when next season starts. It would be fitting for him to finish his career at York City where he started.

It’s a no from me.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Midfielder/Forward according to Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Ke...er,_born_1997)

Who's Dermis? Bet he's as titus owt.
    Dermis skins many a player... I thought I typed Dennis but my fat lockdown fingers did otherwise 😂

Kennedy would be a good signing IMO. Stevenage fans are gutted to see him go and by all accounts he is a versatile forward/attacking midfielder, not a number 9.

Right age too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post

So I assume you were not a fan of Wooton before he signed for us?After all his record also wasn’t prolific. I’m not suggesting that we sign the lad, I don’t know anything about him. Thankfully we seem to have a recruitment process that is better than simply looking at Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    So I assume you were not a fan of Wooton before he signed for us?After all his record also wasn’t prolific. I’m not suggesting that we sign the lad, I don’t know anything about him. Thankfully we seem to have a recruitment process that is better than simply looking at Wikipedia.
    Wootton is a different type of player. He's a big lad who takes up a marker, causes havoc for others to benefit from. The fact he's got so many goals is one hell of an achievement. It seems Kennedy is more of a attacking midfielder. He he better than Roberts, Booty, Enzio, Osbourne? I doubt it personally

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast