+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Penalty takers....

Penalty takers....

With the prospect of penalties being a very real possibility during the playoffs who, out of our players, would you fancy to smash the ball home....and who would have you covering your eyes!?

I'd like to see...

Dennis
    Roberts
    O'Brien
    Wootton
    Brindley
    Doyle

I'd be nervous if these stepped up...

Turner
    Thomas
    Rawlinson
    Mccrory
    Crawford
    Rose (although I know he has scored a couple this season)

Fingers crossed we won't have to go through that agony, but you never know!

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    With the prospect of penalties being a very real possibility during the playoffs who, out of our players, would you fancy to smash the ball home....and who would have you covering your eyes!?

I'd like to see...

Dennis
    Roberts
    O'Brien
    Wootton
    Brindley
    Doyle

Turner
    Thomas
    Rawlinson
    Mccrory
    Crawford

Rose has only missed 1 penalty in his career I believe (surprise, surprise, for us!)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Rose has only missed 1 penalty in his career I believe (surprise, surprise, for us!)
    I remember him about to take that penalty and thinking that he was going to miss....a bit like when Southgate stepped up to take his penalty against Germany!

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post

I'd like to see...

Dennis
    Roberts
    O'Brien
    Wootton
    Brindley
    Doyle

Turner
    Thomas
    Rawlinson
    Mccrory
    Crawford

Rose would be joint first choice with Dennis. I also wouldn't worry about Thomas or Crawford, both good strikers of the ball. We also have Wilson, Booty and Osborne who should be able to take a penalty. I don't think penalties should be a concern . . . but then if we have them it won't matter who takes them, I won't be able to watch either way!

Rose would and should be the first choice, which may mean he'd take one of the later more "pressure" penalties like the 5th, that more often than not can be the deciding penalty. His record over his career is 11 taken 10 scored and he's fairly arrogant/confident about how good he is at them which is probably a good thing.

Kristian Dennis has taken 12 and scored 11 of them too though so his record is just as good

Wes Thomas has taken 6 and scored 2... So I'd keep him far away from the spot kicks

Doyle is 3/4

McCrory 2/4

Jim O'Brien has missed all 3 penalties he's taken, see Wes Thomas for his recommendation

Cal Roberts is 6/7 but most of them were in the reserves, the only one in a proper game was against Branislav Pindroch in the JPT funnily enough

Kyle Wootton has scored his only penalty taken against Tim Krul, so that's a decent start

Based on that, our first 5 should consist of Wootton, Rose, Doyle, Dennis and Roberts, after that (if needed) you're just crossing your fingers

Dennis
    Roberts
    Wootton
    Doyle
    Rose

Would be the order I'd have them, start and end strong. As for players with none taken yet in their careers I'd probably trust Lacey, Booty and Brindley, the latter two both love a freekick and Lacey has the right mentality imo

I would be happy with anyone taking a penalty as long as they were confident themselves and were putting there hand up.
    I also find it surprising that fans automatically dismiss defensive players and give plenty duties to attack minded players.
    Penalty taking for me is more mentality than technique which is why centre halves tend to put there laces through the ball rather than be cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Rose would and should be the first choice, which may mean he'd take one of the later more "pressure" penalties like the 5th, that more often than not can be the deciding penalty. His record over his career is 11 taken 10 scored and he's fairly arrogant/confident about how good he is at them which is probably a good thing.

Kristian Dennis has taken 12 and scored 11 of them too though so his record is just as good

Wes Thomas has taken 6 and scored 2... So I'd keep him far away from the spot kicks

Doyle is 3/4

McCrory 2/4

Jim O'Brien has missed all 3 penalties he's taken, see Wes Thomas for his recommendation

Cal Roberts is 6/7 but most of them were in the reserves, the only one in a proper game was against Branislav Pindroch in the JPT funnily enough

Kyle Wootton has scored his only penalty taken against Tim Krul, so that's a decent start

Based on that, our first 5 should consist of Wootton, Rose, Doyle, Dennis and Roberts, after that (if needed) you're just crossing your fingers

Dennis
    Roberts
    Wootton
    Doyle
    Rose

Would be the order I'd have them, start and end strong. As for players with none taken yet in their careers I'd probably trust Lacey, Booty and Brindley, the latter two both love a freekick and Lacey has the right mentality imo
    That’s a really well researched analysis and assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I would be happy with anyone taking a penalty as long as they were confident themselves and were putting there hand up.
    I also find it surprising that fans automatically dismiss defensive players and give plenty duties to attack minded players.
    Penalty taking for me is more mentality than technique which is why centre halves tend to put there laces through the ball rather than be cute.
    Like Neal Bishop against Forest? You'd think he'd have the right mentality and was willing to put his hand up and step forward... Then he skied it over the top, admittedly (and more painfully) so did Hughes when he had the chance to win it but he always seemed to rely on smashing it at the goal instead of using a certain technique. Sometimes I think the players who give everything and play with their heart on their sleeve, not scared to step up and take a penalty in a shootout but don't regularly take them are the ones most likely to miss in a shootout as they're not relying on technique.

I think the main factor is practice, that's why Manuel Neuer, Joe Hart, Ricardo and Kasper (all GK's) have all taken penalties in shootouts, they practice them with their fellow GK's in training all the time but there's been a decent amount of defenders taking them successfully too like David Luiz, Ashley Cole (in shootouts), Sergio Ramos and Fernando Hierro

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    That’s a really well researched analysis and assessment.
    All the info is on Transfermarkt if you go on the players' pages > Stats > Penalty Goals. It doesn't show penalties taken in shootouts though but it's at least something to go on.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mitc...spieler/225731