+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hastie back for the season

Hastie back for the season

Motherwell have secured the services of Jake Hastie on a season long loan from Rangers. - External Link

A risky move by the club. Is he a one trick pony? This will certainly divide the fans, but he'll win most of them over if he does the business on the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    A risky move by the club. Is he a one trick pony? This will certainly divide the fans, but he'll win most of them over if he does the business on the park.
    There’s a very bad taste to this deal.
    The only thing that would temper the distaste would be the terms of the deal being that Motherwell receives actual payments from Rangers. We should not be paying any salary at all not even the typical lesser loan terms. And if he isn’t producing on the park we should not do our typical standing by him & giving game time over someone else who is a Motherwell player.

Will be very difficult for many to accept. Sorry but there are times and places where grudges have their place and this is one of them. We should not be helping Rangers out here without substantial compensation.

The substantial compensation is we think we've got a player we couldn't otherwise afford.

I definitely don't love loaning players from the OF but imagine he'd no history with us - we'd be signing a guy who briefly looked brilliant in the SPFL, lost his way and was to be built up again. Essentially bang on our standard signing...

If he scores we'll do well, if he doesn't we'll drop him. No one can say he's not a better option than Seedorf and with the exception of Hylton's wee purple patch in November/December, few would claim he isn't an upgrade there.

Robinson and those at the club will know Hastie and have decided there either isn't any bad blood or what little there is will be overcome.

Overall, it's hard not to say our squad isn't looking pretty solid for two-months out from the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    The substantial compensation is we think we've got a player we couldn't otherwise afford.

I definitely don't love loaning players from the OF but imagine he'd no history with us - we'd be signing a guy who briefly looked brilliant in the SPFL, lost his way and was to be built up again. Essentially bang on our standard signing...

If he scores we'll do well, if he doesn't we'll drop him. No one can say he's not a better option than Seedorf and with the exception of Hylton's wee purple patch in November/December, few would claim he isn't an upgrade there.

Robinson and those at the club will know Hastie and have decided there either isn't any bad blood or what little there is will be overcome.

Overall, it's hard not to say our squad isn't looking pretty solid for two-months out from the season.

You mention Hyltons purple patch, thats all Hastie had, for me the Jury's out whether Hastie is better than what we have.

I really don't think this deals suits anyone .....except Sevco we'll develop their talent for them, no doubt we'll be rewarded handsomely, if he becomes a world beater!!!!!
    Yes, if as earlier suggested had Hastie been signed by them from another club, we would probably be saying what a great signing for us, but that is not what happened here.
    This could cause issues in the dressing room, young player probably on more money than all the rest "Billy Big Baw" syndrome.
    Hastie made his decision last season as far as I'm concerned.
    I stand to be corrected, but wait a fews seasons until he's running along the front of East stand in his Gers strip giving it GIRFUY after scoring against us.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy91 View Post
    I really don't think this deals suits anyone .....except Sevco we'll develop their talent for them, no doubt we'll be rewarded handsomely, if he becomes a world beater!!!!!
    Yes, if as earlier suggested had Hastie been signed by them from another club, we would probably be saying what a great signing for us, but that is not what happened here.
    This could cause issues in the dressing room, young player probably on more money than all the rest "Billy Big Baw" syndrome.
    Hastie made his decision last season as far as I'm concerned.
    I stand to be corrected, but wait a fews seasons until he's running along the front of East stand in his Gers strip giving it GIRFUY after scoring against us.
    I wouldn't worry about the GIFRUY routine. He's not that good and I doubt he will be going back to Ibrokes.

I'm not too happy about the deal but he's probably an improvement on what we've got.

An objective viewpoint ... I can't see how we lose on this one tbh.
    1. If he's good 2nd time around - result!
    2. If not - we've still got some sort of back up to come in. And, that back-up should be thinking 'I need to raise my level to get a sniff' if Hastie proves to be point 1.
    3. He needs to show something to make The Rangers FC keep him on their books, so here's hoping he does it back at FP.
    4. His partnership with Campbell and Turnbull (if re-ignited), can only be a good thing.
    5. Any negativity he'd have gotten from some sections on match day won't be a problem just now 'cos of the Covid 5hite... should do him good, allowing a pretty seamless and non-confrontational return. And, if by the time we're allowed back to matches with a few goals under the belt who'll give a to55?
    6. In my heid, there's a few more reasons but, with the Malbec kicking in, I can't be ar5ed putting them to the keyboard.

Suffice to say, his addition to those we've already got in the door, gives me a fair bit of optimism for the upcoming surreal season.

Would rather have a young squad player with potentially less ability committed to the club than a player who has more ability than commitment. Hastie is all about agents.
    Aye, your right I would accept a better deal from another employer but would not expect to be welcomed back as a fallen son.
    We have always done well by former players who have returned after moves to other clubs to further their career, but FFS there has to be limits.
    This has the message of small club mentality for all to see.

There's a huge difference between before and now.
    He had been an up and coming local youngster that was in the process of developing from a home grown kid to becoming a promising talent whose skill on the park was expected to repay the club & supporters through success and yes expectation some day with a healthy transfer fee. The support provided would be forgiving of mistakes and patient especially being a local kid.

Now, all that is long past history smeared by the means of his exit and the loss of return on investment both financially for the club and that conjured up in the supporters minds of a bright future for the team.

When he takes the field he simply becomes a borrowed resource. Mistakes will be made but the forgiveness and patience previously extended will be less forthcoming. Now it's all about results. It's not like other new players that come in on loan arrangements where maybe there's a thought that a successful player on loan could turn into a permanent deal to properly join the club. Hopefully he has learned to add more to his game than his single signature move (granted highly successful at the time).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)