+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/t A coalminers tale...

O/t A coalminers tale...

Something came to mind today about coal mining and my past history working underground.

I recalled a lad, David ********, I wont mention his surname as it's not called for. He was at the time in the late 80's the talk of the pit. This lad had actually signed on at two pits at the same time. He used to work days at Silverwood, where I worked and then dash out of the pit to do his next shift at Maltby.

He was only caught out by an eagle eyed person at the pensions office at Doncaster, as obviously he had the same NI number.
    Hats off to him at the time for holding two jobs down but, he was only a conveyor attendant. This involved watching coal safely leave a district and out to the pit bottom to be transported out of the mine.

Once challenged, he was asked to choose a pit and he chose Maltby. It was afterall his safeguard to health and safety and working too many hours a day. This by the way went on for 2 years .

Second point, a Miner's tale:

A Miner stood at the golden gate,
    His head was bent and low,
    He meekly asked the man of fate
    the way that he should go.
    'What have you done?' St Peter said,
    'To gain admission here'
    'I merely mined coal' he said
    'For many many a year'
    St Peter opened wide the gate
    and softly tolled the bell.
    'Come in and choose your harp' he said.
    'You've had your share of hell'

Thats an improvement on the jokes mate

If he was a button lad Brin he would have been a sleep in he man hole most of the time.

I know David Asterisks pretty well and he's livid you outed him on here Brin

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    I know David Asterisks pretty well and he's livid you outed him on here Brin
    Yeah the gall!

On the subject of mining and the tragedy in Myanmar. We think we have a hard life because there's no football to watch or pub to visit!

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-as...tured-on-video

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-as...adly-jade-rush

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    If he was a button lad Brin he would have been a sleep in he man hole most of the time.
    LolMorgan, come to think of it he had eyes like piss holes in the snow when he got on the mail to go to the pit bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Thats an improvement on the jokes mate
    Come on Lincs, okay I'll dig a few more up. This is buy the way a true story.

This is for me a modern rescue of massive levels. I stayed up most early mornings watching every miner being brought to safety. I cried at every miner's release, I not ashamed to say that. My Wife begged me to come to bed on many occasions but I wouldn't, I couldn't, I felt I was there with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Come on Lincs, okay I'll dig a few more up. This is buy the way a true story.
    Don't doubt it for a minute ... so is this ...
    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 21.18.51.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  22.2 KB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast