+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Billy Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton’s Titan View Post
    That’s fantastic - much appreciated mate !
    He got injured in a game against Huddersfield Town on December 11th 1993 and didn'tplay again that season.
    He only played four League games for the Blades before moving on to Chesterfield.

Thanks very much - I’ll ignore the outdated hubcap jibe! I’m writing a book (Huyton’s Titans) about all aspects of football in my hometown of Huyton. The book will include short ( and not so short ) biographies for each of the 145 players from the area who have appeared in the English Football League - both Billy and Ronnie M fit into this category. I enjoyed a fantastic hourlong conversation with RM (legend) not long ago. I’m just filling in some of the gaps for Billy Mercer so thanks for the contributions - anything else would be gratefully received !

Thanks very much - I’ll ignore the outdated hubcap jibe! I’m writing a book (Huyton’s Titans) about all aspects of football in my hometown of Huyton. The book will include short ( and not so short ) biographies for each of the 145 players from the area who have appeared in the English Football League - both Billy and Ronnie M fit into this category. I enjoyed a fantastic hourlong conversation with RM (legend) not long ago. I’m just filling in some of the gaps for Billy Mercer so thanks for the contributions - anything else would be gratefully received !
    Errr.....it,s King Ronnie thank you and fully justified too

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    He used to live on Gillott Lane off Morthen Road in Wickersley.

He might still do
    See him regularly when I drop my lad of at Wickersley Northfield Primary School so definitely still lives in the area. I know his missus, he got with her about 13 years ago. Always has time for a chat. Good bloke.

In terms of a keeper for us, dependable good keeper. Worse night of his career was probably getting sent off early doors against Everton away in the cup. He's a massive Evertonian.

All in all a really good lad..

That’s fantastic - much appreciated mate !
    Have you seen Lee Mavers around BTW?

Still waiting for that second album.

Yes, I see him fairly frequently and his sister Lisa. I’m obviously nowhere near as creative as you ‘fire’ cos your posts are both helpful and hilarious in equal measure but in addition to my book writing I also do a bit of performance poetry. As you mentioned Lee, let me know if this is to your liking (waits with baited breath)

https://youtu.be/uQB4IodEQZY

Very grateful for that thanks ‘Frank’ - and what a player he was btw !

Very grateful for that thanks ‘Frank’ - and what a player he was btw !
    Billy Mercer was a decent keeper, unfortunately for him when we signed him our number one choice was also a very good keeper. ( Kelham O’Hanlon)
    Probably the reason Billy didn’t play as many games in his early career with us.
    When he got injured at Huddersfield and lost his place as number one a young lad called Matt Clarke ( Matt the Cat ) took his place.
    We’ve had some quality keepers over the years .
    Frank Casper indeed was a quality striker.

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    Billy Mercer was a decent keeper, unfortunately for him when we signed him our number one choice was also a very good keeper. ( Kelham O’Hanlon)
    Probably the reason Billy didn’t play as many games in his early career with us.
    When he got injured at Huddersfield and lost his place as number one a young lad called Matt Clarke ( Matt the Cat ) took his place.
    We’ve had some quality keepers over the years .
    Frank Casper indeed was a quality striker.

Remember matt Clarke”s debut against Exeter let a Ronnie jepson”s very tame shot straight through his legs.....one of main rules in keeping is get your body behind the ball,he never let him get to him and went on to have a great career after that with us and others...(we”ll ignore the time at pigsville).

Another keeper Craig Davis on other hand made his debut at Rochdale and had a nightmare and never really got a look in after that and left went to Donnie and career never took off at all...

Just goes to show it can go either way..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast