+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arsenal Matchday Thread.

2-0 all over. May be the kick in the pants we need.

Neves clears of his own goal line to prevent 3-0.

MGW on for Moutiho

second best..
    better side won

Not our best display of the season. We got what we deserved and we were lucky to get away with 2-0. We need to turn this around on Wednesday or we can say good by to European football next season.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    Not our best display of the season. We got what we deserved and we were lucky to get away with 2-0. We need to turn this around on Wednesday or we can say good by to European football next season.
    Unless we win the Europa Cup of course!

We were due a bad one but Jesus...

Noticed a couple of players, Jota and Neves, haven't returned on great form. Is that why Jota didnt start today?

I'd be daft to complain though, if anyone told me start of the season we'd be three points off a Champions League place with five games left...

I'm not sure we really turned up this evening. Boly, in particular, was poor.

Sorry I couldn't join in the match chit-chat yesterday, but was busy celebrating at my 80th birthday party. When I watched the game later this morning (Oz time) I was shocked and disappointed by what unfolded. Gone was the coherence and class of a Wolves team that, since returning to the P.L., has earned the respect and admiration of most who follow the English game, both players and fans alike.

This has come at a time when P.L. teams are being required to play nine or ten matches in just a few short weeks, to make up for time lost due to the Coronavirus fiasco. For Wolves, success during this period is absolutely essential if we seek to re- emerge as a powerhouse of British football. Although we won our first three matches against 'weaker' opposition, I was not overwhelmed by the manner in which this was achieved. During the first half of games against Bournemouth and Villa we seemed to lack the energy and intent to get on with the business of winning a football match. Whether our lads became seduced by the absence of a crowd and lulled into thinking they were engaged in a training match who can say? ....something just didn't seem right ! Although we went on to win both of these games (as we had in the earlier match against West Ham) the margin of victory was small.

Yesterday, we almost scored in the first minute, following an attempt by, Traore. We appeared to be gaining control of the game but, yet, were not overly impressive. After the half-time break we showed greater purpose, but to little avail.
    What disturbed me most about our performance, occurred after the drink-break when we were chasing the game. Watching
    our lads lose their discipline, when no amount of huff and puff served to break down the opposition. One close-up camera shot of Nuno saw him staring blankly ahead as if dumb-struck by what he was witnessing. Arteta, cunning fox that he is, played his cards well and his perpetual change of personnell created further frustration for Wolves. I found it difficult to watch. As others have said, yesterdays loss may well be the 'wake-up call' we need if we are to overcome the battles we now face, starting with Sheff.United on Wednesday. Unless we can win every one of our remaining matches I think it unlikely we can make it into the Champions League next season (although The Europa Cup is a less daunting task). It's a big ask, but still doable. Eternal optimist, that's me !
    Last edited by GrizzledWolf; 05-07-2020 at 07:39 AM.

Grizz,

Firstly can't argue with anything you've said, a measured and considered appraisal.

Secondly, congratulations on your 80th birthday.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)