Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
Champs, I get frustrated by players like Armstrong, Rothwell and Holtby who flit in and out of games, or go from one good match to one poor one.
At least Gallagher puts the effort in consistently and doesn't hide.
I think we have really missed Evans too. He looked so sharp and dominant in that Bristol game. It's been very frustrating to have both Williams and Bell out at the same time, as well, because the defence has had to be improvised.
For next season, we need to keep Nyambe, Lenihan, Travis, Rankin-Costello, Davenport, Gallagher and Brereton in the squad, with Evans as captain, for his experience, and build the team around them. I think we just have to persevere with SG and BB, and hope they come good. Perhaps Butterworth will come in and make a difference. Then there are people like Wharton, Fisher and Buckley. Chapman remains a complete mystery to me. Will we ever find out the true story there?
It is just good fortune in the Championship, now, if you get hold of an experienced player who transforms the squad. I suspect the most likely source is Scotland, but we have seen that people like Murphy, Guthrie, Rodwell and Whittingham don't usually work out.
Downing has done well, and certainly puts the effort in, but he obviously doesn't quite have the ability to control a game any more.
The other question: will Dack move on?
I suspect he will still be with us when the next season starts, because of the injury, but for how long?
Players to leave?
Walton, Leutwiler, Tosin, Williams, Mulgrew, Bennett, Hart, Johnson, Smallwood, Rothwell, Chapman, Downing, Holtby, Graham, Samuel, (Bell?).
They won't all go, obviously, but you see where I'm coming from. I put Bell in brackets, because he's another mystery.
Armstrong? Your guess is as good as mine!
I agree Auks,
I find Armstrong suc h an annoying player. Good sometimes, nothing the others. Holtby just looks like a luxury we simply aren't good enough to carry. Sometimes, we are basically playing with 10 men. I will never change my stance on Rothwell. He is not a footballer, with a footballers brain. It's all head down, run into dead ends. He provides nothing, never creates much, never looks like scoring.
We miss Evans terribly, almost as much as Dack. Travis and Evans are our best midfield partnership. I worry when it's anyone else, as they are not as good. Downing is a decent ad, and has been ok. I just feel we are heading nowhere with the likes of him. He has loads of experience, I am struggling to see any of that right now as we struggle to find a leader. Nobody is wanting to take a game by the scruff of the neck and go for it. It's all very easy, sideways passing.
I just want to know where Bell and Williams are really. I find it odd both got injured during lockdown, and are both unable to play. But its screwing us up. Pity JRC got injured, as I thought he looked really good vrs Bristol City.
Not sure about Dack. In no way, until he shows if he is the same player after his injury, will he leave.
But we do really miss him. He ups the standards of others around him. We have been unlucky with injuries, and its had an effect. But it can't be an excuse. Every side gets them, and we end up having to play Samuel. I am shocked just how poor he actually is. What a stump.

I am avoiding tonights debacle. I cannot bring myself to get wound up watching them again.