+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:-Bum Lickers

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Great work Driller, you falsely accused me of purporting a straw man argument, then claim that you and Utm have been called ‘closet racists’ (when, by whom?).

You also claim that others ‘base everything on personalities behind the arguments’ right after citing Chomsky and Rushdie! Literally accusing people in one sentence of what you’ve just done in the previous one. Unbelievable.

In its opening paragraph the letter you’ve linked to states;

Powerful protests for racial and social justice are leading to overdue demands for police reform, along with wider calls for greater equality and inclusion across our society, not least in higher education, journalism, philanthropy, and the arts. But this needed reckoning...

If that isn’t tacit support for your hated BLM campaign, I don’t quite know what is. The rest is a committee written series of platitudes about free speech which no one sentient could really disagree with. It gives no further info on the examples of ‘hasty and disproportionate punishments’ so the reader has no idea about the individual merits of those cases.

I’d love to know the authors’ opinion on David Starkey, the historian who talked in an interview with a right wing website about ‘damned blacks’ along with putting forward other questionable racial attitudes. Did they feel he had a right to put forward those opinions? Were the universities who had connections with him right to ‘cancel’ him? We have no idea.

I thiught this was an excellent contribution from the former cricketer and top commentator Michael Holding on the BLM campaign.

https://twitter.com/ralphyheraldsun/...645998081?s=21
    I find your post very disingenuous.

The other day you implied I was right/far right for using the word Antifa. I know that far-right to you means Boris Johnson, so you've basically stripped the term of all its meaning, but I still still don't appreciate the suggestion.

I've mentioned several times that it's hard to talk about this with you because you try to disqualify opinions based on the person that expressed them rather than examining them on their merits.

I was pointing out that maybe now someone with unimpeachable left-wing credentials has signed a letter saying that censorship and the threat of disproportionate punishments for expressing certain opinions are stifling good faith debate, you might finally be able to engage with the topic. And so it has proved.

Having said that I disagree with your analysis of the letter. You saw tacit support for BLM, I saw explicit support for the general ideas of justice and equality, but implicit criticism of BLM (the "new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favour of ideological conformity" mentioned in the letter is as clear a description as you'll ever see of the forced compliance with intersectionality, be that in the guise of BLM or something else.

You called the rest of the letter 'platitudes which nobody sentient could disagree with'. I would ask you to consider whether 150 prominent intellectuals would really feel it necessary to do this if nobody sentient were disagreeing with them, and also whether you are by your own definition sentient.

Here's the letter, if for anyone who's interested:

Our cultural institutions are facing a moment of trial. Powerful protests for racial and social justice are leading to overdue demands for police reform, along with wider calls for greater equality and inclusion across our society, not least in higher education, journalism, philanthropy, and the arts.

But this needed reckoning has also intensified a new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favor of ideological conformity. As we applaud the first development, we also raise our voices against the second.

The forces of illiberalism are gaining strength throughout the world and have a powerful ally in Donald Trump, who represents a real threat to democracy. But resistance must not be allowed to harden into its own brand of dogma or coercion—which right-wing demagogues are already exploiting. The democratic inclusion we want can be achieved only if we speak out against the intolerant climate that has set in on all sides.

The free exchange of information and ideas, the lifeblood of a liberal society, is daily becoming more constricted. While we have come to expect this on the radical right, censoriousness is also spreading more widely in our culture: an intolerance of opposing views, a vogue for public shaming and ostracism, and the tendency to dissolve complex policy issues in a blinding moral certainty. We uphold the value of robust and even caustic counter-speech from all quarters. But it is now all too common to hear calls for swift and severe retribution in response to perceived transgressions of speech and thought.

More troubling still, institutional leaders, in a spirit of panicked damage control, are delivering hasty and disproportionate punishments instead of considered reforms. Editors are fired for running controversial pieces; books are withdrawn for alleged inauthenticity; journalists are barred from writing on certain topics; professors are investigated for quoting works of literature in class; a researcher is fired for circulating a peer-reviewed academic study; and the heads of organizations are ousted for what are sometimes just clumsy mistakes.

Whatever the arguments around each particular incident, the result has been to steadily narrow the boundaries of what can be said without the threat of reprisal. We are already paying the price in greater risk aversion among writers, artists, and journalists who fear for their livelihoods if they depart from the consensus, or even lack sufficient zeal in agreement.

This stifling atmosphere will ultimately harm the most ***** causes of our time. The restriction of debate, whether by a repressive government or an intolerant society, invariably hurts those who lack power and makes everyone less capable of democratic participation. The way to defeat bad ideas is by exposure, argument, and persuasion, not by trying to silence or wish them away.

We refuse any false choice between justice and freedom, which cannot exist without each other. As writers we need a culture that leaves us room for experimentation, risk taking, and even mistakes. We need to preserve the possibility of good-faith disagreement without dire professional consequences. If we won’t defend the very thing on which our work depends, we shouldn’t expect the public or the state to defend it for us.

Elliot Ackerman
    Saladin Ambar, Rutgers University
    Martin Amis
    Anne Applebaum
    Marie Arana, author
    Margaret Atwood
    John Banville
    Mia Bay, historian
    Louis Begley, writer
    Roger Berkowitz, Bard College
    Paul Berman, writer
    Sheri Berman, Barnard College
    Reginald Dwayne Betts, poet
    Neil Blair, agent
    David W. Blight, Yale University
    Jennifer Finney Boylan, author
    David Bromwich
    David Brooks, columnist
    Ian Buruma, Bard College
    Lea Carpenter
    Noam Chomsky, MIT (emeritus)
    Nicholas A. Christakis, Yale University
    Roger Cohen, writer
    Ambassador Frances D. Cook, ret.
    Drucilla Cornell, Founder, uBuntu Project
    Kamel Daoud
    Meghan Daum, writer
    Gerald Early, Washington University-St. Louis
    Jeffrey Eugenides, writer
    Dexter Filkins
    Federico Finchelstein, The New School
    Caitlin Flanagan
    Richard T. Ford, Stanford Law School
    Kmele Foster
    David Frum, journalist
    Francis ***uyama, Stanford University
    Atul Gawande, Harvard University
    Todd Gitlin, Columbia University
    Kim Ghattas
    Malcolm Gladwell
    Michelle Goldberg, columnist
    Rebecca Goldstein, writer
    Anthony Grafton, Princeton University
    David Greenberg, Rutgers University
    Linda Greenhouse
    Rinne B. Groff, playwright
    Sarah Haider, activist
    Jonathan Haidt, NYU-Stern
    Roya Hakakian, writer
    Shadi Hamid, Brookings Institution
    Jeet Heer, The Nation
    Katie Herzog, podcast host
    Susannah Heschel, Dartmouth College
    Adam Hochschild, author
    Arlie Russell Hochschild, author
    Eva Hoffman, writer
    Coleman Hughes, writer/Manhattan Institute
    Hussein Ibish, Arab Gulf States Institute
    Michael Ignatieff
    Zaid Jilani, journalist
    Bill T. Jones, New York Live Arts
    Wendy Kaminer, writer
    Matthew Karp, Princeton University
    Garry Kasparov, Renew Democracy Initiative
    Daniel Kehlmann, writer
    Randall Kennedy
    Khaled Khalifa, writer
    Parag Khanna, author
    Laura Kipnis, Northwestern University
    Frances Kissling, Center for Health, Ethics, Social Policy
    Enrique Krauze, historian
    Anthony Kronman, Yale University
    Joy Ladin, Yeshiva University
    Nicholas Lemann, Columbia University
    Mark Lilla, Columbia University
    Susie Linfield, New York University
    Damon Linker, writer
    Dahlia Lithwick, Slate
    Steven Lukes, New York University
    John R. MacArthur, publisher, writer
    Susan Madrak, writer
    Phoebe Maltz Bovy, writer
    Greil Marcus
    Wynton Marsalis, Jazz at Lincoln Center
    Kati Marton, author
    Debra Mashek, scholar
    Deirdre McCloskey, University of Illinois at Chicago
    John McWhorter, Columbia University
    Uday Mehta, City University of New York
    Andrew Moravcsik, Princeton University
    Yascha Mounk, Persuasion
    Samuel Moyn, Yale University
    Meera Nanda, writer and teacher
    Cary Nelson, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
    Olivia Nuzzi, New York Magazine
    Mark Oppenheimer, Yale University
    Dael Orlandersmith, writer/performer
    George Packer
    Nell Irvin Painter, Princeton University (emerita)
    Greg Pardlo, Rutgers University – Camden
    Orlando Patterson, Harvard University
    Steven Pinker, Harvard University
    Letty Cottin Pogrebin
    Katha Pollitt, writer
    Claire Bond Potter, The New School
    Taufiq Rahim
    Zia Haider Rahman, writer
    Jennifer Ratner-Rosenhagen, University of Wisconsin
    Jonathan Rauch, Brookings Institution/The Atlantic
    Neil Roberts, political theorist
    Melvin Rogers, Brown University
    Kat Rosenfield, writer
    Loretta J. Ross, Smith College
    J.K. Rowling
    Salman Rushdie, New York University
    Karim Sadjadpour, Carnegie Endowment
    Daryl Michael Scott, Howard University
    Diana Senechal, teacher and writer
    Jennifer Senior, columnist
    Judith Shulevitz, writer
    Jesse Singal, journalist
    Anne-Marie Slaughter
    Andrew Solomon, writer
    Deborah Solomon, critic and biographer
    Allison Stanger, Middlebury College
    Paul Starr, American Prospect/Princeton University
    Wendell Steavenson, writer
    Gloria Steinem, writer and activist
    Nadine Strossen, New York Law School
    Ronald S. Sullivan Jr., Harvard Law School
    Kian Tajbakhsh, Columbia University
    Zephyr Teachout, Fordham University
    Cynthia Tucker, University of South Alabama
    Adaner Usmani, Harvard University
    Chloe Valdary
    Helen Vendler, Harvard University
    Judy B. Walzer
    Michael Walzer
    Eric K. Washington, historian
    Caroline Weber, historian
    Randi Weingarten, American Federation of Teachers
    Bari Weiss
    Sean Wilentz, Princeton University
    Garry Wills
    Thomas Chatterton Williams, writer
    Robert F. Worth, journalist and author
    Molly Worthen, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
    Matthew Yglesias
    Emily Yoffe, journalist
    Cathy Young, journalist
    Fareed Zakaria

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I find your post very disingenuous.

The other day you implied I was right/far right for using the word Antifa. I know that far-right to you means Boris Johnson, so you've basically stripped the term of all its meaning, but I still still don't appreciate the suggestion.

I've mentioned several times that it's hard to talk about this with you because you try to disqualify opinions based on the person that expressed them rather than examining them on their merits.

I was pointing out that maybe now someone with unimpeachable left-wing credentials has signed a letter saying that censorship and the threat of disproportionate punishments for expressing certain opinions are stifling good faith debate, you might finally be able to engage with the topic. And so it has proved.

Having said that I disagree with your analysis of the letter. You saw tacit support for BLM, I saw explicit support for the general ideas of justice and equality, but implicit criticism of BLM (the "new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favour of ideological conformity" mentioned in the letter is as clear a description as you'll ever see of the forced compliance with intersectionality, be that in the guise of BLM or something else.

You called the rest of the letter 'platitudes which nobody sentient could disagree with'. I would ask you to consider whether 150 prominent intellectuals would really feel it necessary to do this if nobody sentient were disagreeing with them, and also whether you are by your own definition sentient.

I didn’t imply you were far right at all. What I said was that I had only seen the term ‘antifa’ used pejoratively by the right/far right. That’s the way it is overwhelmingly used but you were right, some groups in the US call themselves by that name. I think our previous exchanges have proved that I’m ‘engaged with the topic’ so I don’t quite know why you think this letter has sparked a change.

On the letter itself, it is anodyne and bland, it has to be to get 150 people to put their signature to it. To take two sentences in isolation. ‘The restriction of debate, whether by a repressive government or an intolerant society, invariably hurts those who lack power and makes everyone less capable of democratic participation’, and ‘We refuse any false choice between justice and freedom, which cannot exist without each other’. Well, yeah. I don’t think there’s a single person on here who’d disagree with either of those two sentiments and we all know what a wide range of opinions there are. Again, I don’t know about the examples it cites, so can’t comment on their individual merit.

I do think there have been examples from the recent past where people have been afraid to have an honest debate. When Islamist attacks have happened, any questioning or criticism of that particular religion have been wrongly shut down as ‘Islamophobic’. I found the Charlie Hebdo atrocity a particularly heinous attempt to scare journalists and satirists into making Islam off limits. Some would say they’ve succeeded. We won’t agree on the BLM campaign. I think it has faults, but is generally A Good Thing, you think it’s some sort Marxist plot. Fair enough, we will, to use your words see who’s on the ‘right side of history’.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Here's the letter, if for anyone who's interested:

Our cultural institutions are facing a moment of trial. Powerful protests for racial and social justice are leading to overdue demands for police reform, along with wider calls for greater equality and inclusion across our society, not least in higher education, journalism, philanthropy, and the arts.

But this needed reckoning has also intensified a new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favor of ideological conformity. As we applaud the first development, we also raise our voices against the second.

The forces of illiberalism are gaining strength throughout the world and have a powerful ally in Donald Trump, who represents a real threat to democracy. But resistance must not be allowed to harden into its own brand of dogma or coercion—which right-wing demagogues are already exploiting. The democratic inclusion we want can be achieved only if we speak out against the intolerant climate that has set in on all sides.

The free exchange of information and ideas, the lifeblood of a liberal society, is daily becoming more constricted. While we have come to expect this on the radical right, censoriousness is also spreading more widely in our culture: an intolerance of opposing views, a vogue for public shaming and ostracism, and the tendency to dissolve complex policy issues in a blinding moral certainty. We uphold the value of robust and even caustic counter-speech from all quarters. But it is now all too common to hear calls for swift and severe retribution in response to perceived transgressions of speech and thought.

More troubling still, institutional leaders, in a spirit of panicked damage control, are delivering hasty and disproportionate punishments instead of considered reforms. Editors are fired for running controversial pieces; books are withdrawn for alleged inauthenticity; journalists are barred from writing on certain topics; professors are investigated for quoting works of literature in class; a researcher is fired for circulating a peer-reviewed academic study; and the heads of organizations are ousted for what are sometimes just clumsy mistakes.

Whatever the arguments around each particular incident, the result has been to steadily narrow the boundaries of what can be said without the threat of reprisal. We are already paying the price in greater risk aversion among writers, artists, and journalists who fear for their livelihoods if they depart from the consensus, or even lack sufficient zeal in agreement.

This stifling atmosphere will ultimately harm the most ***** causes of our time. The restriction of debate, whether by a repressive government or an intolerant society, invariably hurts those who lack power and makes everyone less capable of democratic participation. The way to defeat bad ideas is by exposure, argument, and persuasion, not by trying to silence or wish them away.

We refuse any false choice between justice and freedom, which cannot exist without each other. As writers we need a culture that leaves us room for experimentation, risk taking, and even mistakes. We need to preserve the possibility of good-faith disagreement without dire professional consequences. If we won’t defend the very thing on which our work depends, we shouldn’t expect the public or the state to defend it for us.

Elliot Ackerman
    Saladin Ambar, Rutgers University
    Martin Amis
    Anne Applebaum
    Marie Arana, author
    Margaret Atwood
    John Banville
    Mia Bay, historian
    Louis Begley, writer
    Roger Berkowitz, Bard College
    Paul Berman, writer
    Sheri Berman, Barnard College
    Reginald Dwayne Betts, poet
    Neil Blair, agent
    David W. Blight, Yale University
    Jennifer Finney Boylan, author
    David Bromwich
    David Brooks, columnist
    Ian Buruma, Bard College
    Lea Carpenter
    Noam Chomsky, MIT (emeritus)
    Nicholas A. Christakis, Yale University
    Roger Cohen, writer
    Ambassador Frances D. Cook, ret.
    Drucilla Cornell, Founder, uBuntu Project
    Kamel Daoud
    Meghan Daum, writer
    Gerald Early, Washington University-St. Louis
    Jeffrey Eugenides, writer
    Dexter Filkins
    Federico Finchelstein, The New School
    Caitlin Flanagan
    Richard T. Ford, Stanford Law School
    Kmele Foster
    David Frum, journalist
    Francis ***uyama, Stanford University
    Atul Gawande, Harvard University
    Todd Gitlin, Columbia University
    Kim Ghattas
    Malcolm Gladwell
    Michelle Goldberg, columnist
    Rebecca Goldstein, writer
    Anthony Grafton, Princeton University
    David Greenberg, Rutgers University
    Linda Greenhouse
    Rinne B. Groff, playwright
    Sarah Haider, activist
    Jonathan Haidt, NYU-Stern
    Roya Hakakian, writer
    Shadi Hamid, Brookings Institution
    Jeet Heer, The Nation
    Katie Herzog, podcast host
    Susannah Heschel, Dartmouth College
    Adam Hochschild, author
    Arlie Russell Hochschild, author
    Eva Hoffman, writer
    Coleman Hughes, writer/Manhattan Institute
    Hussein Ibish, Arab Gulf States Institute
    Michael Ignatieff
    Zaid Jilani, journalist
    Bill T. Jones, New York Live Arts
    Wendy Kaminer, writer
    Matthew Karp, Princeton University
    Garry Kasparov, Renew Democracy Initiative
    Daniel Kehlmann, writer
    Randall Kennedy
    Khaled Khalifa, writer
    Parag Khanna, author
    Laura Kipnis, Northwestern University
    Frances Kissling, Center for Health, Ethics, Social Policy
    Enrique Krauze, historian
    Anthony Kronman, Yale University
    Joy Ladin, Yeshiva University
    Nicholas Lemann, Columbia University
    Mark Lilla, Columbia University
    Susie Linfield, New York University
    Damon Linker, writer
    Dahlia Lithwick, Slate
    Steven Lukes, New York University
    John R. MacArthur, publisher, writer
    Susan Madrak, writer
    Phoebe Maltz Bovy, writer
    Greil Marcus
    Wynton Marsalis, Jazz at Lincoln Center
    Kati Marton, author
    Debra Mashek, scholar
    Deirdre McCloskey, University of Illinois at Chicago
    John McWhorter, Columbia University
    Uday Mehta, City University of New York
    Andrew Moravcsik, Princeton University
    Yascha Mounk, Persuasion
    Samuel Moyn, Yale University
    Meera Nanda, writer and teacher
    Cary Nelson, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
    Olivia Nuzzi, New York Magazine
    Mark Oppenheimer, Yale University
    Dael Orlandersmith, writer/performer
    George Packer
    Nell Irvin Painter, Princeton University (emerita)
    Greg Pardlo, Rutgers University – Camden
    Orlando Patterson, Harvard University
    Steven Pinker, Harvard University
    Letty Cottin Pogrebin
    Katha Pollitt, writer
    Claire Bond Potter, The New School
    Taufiq Rahim
    Zia Haider Rahman, writer
    Jennifer Ratner-Rosenhagen, University of Wisconsin
    Jonathan Rauch, Brookings Institution/The Atlantic
    Neil Roberts, political theorist
    Melvin Rogers, Brown University
    Kat Rosenfield, writer
    Loretta J. Ross, Smith College
    J.K. Rowling
    Salman Rushdie, New York University
    Karim Sadjadpour, Carnegie Endowment
    Daryl Michael Scott, Howard University
    Diana Senechal, teacher and writer
    Jennifer Senior, columnist
    Judith Shulevitz, writer
    Jesse Singal, journalist
    Anne-Marie Slaughter
    Andrew Solomon, writer
    Deborah Solomon, critic and biographer
    Allison Stanger, Middlebury College
    Paul Starr, American Prospect/Princeton University
    Wendell Steavenson, writer
    Gloria Steinem, writer and activist
    Nadine Strossen, New York Law School
    Ronald S. Sullivan Jr., Harvard Law School
    Kian Tajbakhsh, Columbia University
    Zephyr Teachout, Fordham University
    Cynthia Tucker, University of South Alabama
    Adaner Usmani, Harvard University
    Chloe Valdary
    Helen Vendler, Harvard University
    Judy B. Walzer
    Michael Walzer
    Eric K. Washington, historian
    Caroline Weber, historian
    Randi Weingarten, American Federation of Teachers
    Bari Weiss
    Sean Wilentz, Princeton University
    Garry Wills
    Thomas Chatterton Williams, writer
    Robert F. Worth, journalist and author
    Molly Worthen, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
    Matthew Yglesias
    Emily Yoffe, journalist
    Cathy Young, journalist
    Fareed Zakaria
    I see Uncle Tom Cobley didn't get involved.

"Great civilisations are not murdered. Instead, they take their own lives."

Do we think Notts can survive this?

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    "Great civilisations are not murdered. Instead, they take their own lives."
    That reminds me of the film 'Apocalypto', there the line was

''A great civilisation is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    That reminds me of the film 'Apocalypto', there the line was

''A great civilisation is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."
    Apparently it's the conclusion of historian Arnold Toynbee in his 12-volume magnum opus "A Study of History" published 1934–61.
    Perhaps events of 2020 have brought the process (which may have begun several decades ago) into sharp focus. Assuming it doesn't end with nuclear war, who marches in to take control?

2020 is like living in a lunatic asylum with the inmates telling you that it's YOU who is insane!

Quote Originally Posted by macstop View Post
    2020 is like living in a lunatic asylum with the inmates telling you that it's YOU who is insane!
    We're actually reaching the point where Scientology appears to be a relatively sane and benign organisation.

Left wing comedy is dead, I'm having to look to right wing Christians for laughs now.
    A selection of Babylon Bee satirical news website headlines......

Deeply Moved By 'Black Lives Matter' Mural, Trump Joins The Black Panthers ....... “I just had to do something,” Trump later told the press. “When I saw the words ‘Black Lives Matter,’ I was like, ‘I never thought of it that way.’

Ilhan Omar Withdraws Support From Bill To Save The Earth After Learning That’s Where Israel Is

Chinese Spies Using TikTok To Steal All America's Top-Secret Dance Moves

Governors Reinstate Lockdowns To Combat Recovering Economy

Atheists Launch No Lives Matter Movement

Trump Generously Offers To Give Biden 30-Minute Head Start On All Debate Responses

Asylum Orderlies Return Hillary Clinton To Padded Cell Disguised As Oval Office

Bible Experts Determine Goliath Died Of COVID-19

Pelosi: 'We Have To Knock The Statues Down To Find Out If They're Racist'... "Some rioters did something," she added.

Netflix Hires Racists And Pulls Any Episodes They Laugh At

Democrats Call For Labels Warning Consumers If A Company's CEO Voted For Trump

People On Boat Drifting Left Wondering Why Shore Is Drifting Right

My favourite story on there....
    https://babylonbee.com/news/new-prog...n-their-behalf

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast