+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: V Man yew

I think although the playoffs were dam good, I mean more excitement than weve seen for decades, winning has proven to be our downfall. The owners had a 5 year plan and we got to the promised land in 1.....but was we prepared, no. did we have the squad, no. Did we have the quality, no.
    To build any team takes years, look at Leeds, they have been banging on the door for the last few seasons and now will get to their goal. they, will do better than us because the team is almost the same team for the past 3 years. This is the model and the same can be said for sheff utd. The exception is Wolves, they gambled while in the championship but it worked, right manager, right scout, right players, i mean CL standard.
    We, well we had a mixed buch, mainly loans and Jack. SJM was the suprize package. The team was dismantled and we spent 120mill but we had to, we did not have 12 players in our squad!! Yes we could have bought better quality but we were against the clock.

We had a plan and we would have been better off sticking to it. We will go down, it kills me to say it but we can learn from it. We need a quality TEAM A winning team and we need to win the Championship and come up with the nuclious of a winning team with some top top additions. There is a chance of staying up although its a small chance, either way, yes its a rebuild and some tough decisions coming up that some may not like but it may just be for the better!
    I am dreaming and hoping for an upset tonight, we can do it, we just have to believe we can.
    Lose and its almost over, good job the Ammers lost last night, lets take advantage of that!!
    2-1 Villa

Never seen us beat manure at Villa Park, live or on TV, I missed the game v ‘kids’ in 95.

I’ve seen us beat them at the ‘Theatre of Screams’ twice (83 & 09), and once at Wembley (94). Closest I got was a 3-3 draw in 80/81, even our best ever team couldn’t beat em at home.

I’m tempted not to watch, but I know I won’t be able to resist.

3-1 Villa, there you go. Now lock me up doctor, and throw away the key.

I was there in 95😄 seems like yesterday! I missed the final due to illness in the family.
    Its about time we shook off the hoodoo....

[QUOTE=TrianonDave;39528052]I think although the playoffs were dam good, I mean more excitement than weve seen for decades, winning has proven to be our downfall. The owners had a 5 year plan and we got to the promised land in 1.....but was we prepared, no. did we have the squad, no. Did we have the quality, no.
    To build any team takes years, look at Leeds, they have been banging on the door for the last few seasons and now will get to their goal. they, will do better than us because the team is almost the same team for the past 3 years. This is the model and the same can be said for sheff utd. The exception is Wolves, they gambled while in the championship but it worked, right manager, right scout, right players, i mean CL standard.
    We, well we had a mixed buch, mainly loans and Jack. SJM was the suprize package. The team was dismantled and we spent 120mill but we had to, we did not have 12 players in our squad!! Yes we could have bought better quality but we were against the clock.

We had a plan and we would have been better off sticking to it. We will go down, it kills me to say it but we can learn from it.

Spot on TD - great post

Well what an anti climax that was, lucky it was only 3. Yes we had yet another ridiculas VAR decison go against but seriously, strutting around, cant be arsed attitude is not good enough. Yes it was a rampant utd but you can show some effort. We have become a laughing stock.
    Chin up guys, were in for the usual trolls coming on getting a boner at Villa rather than their own club.
    I cannot defend the undefenceable, at least go down with some pride!

After a bright start as Keano said it's all about the first goal when you're down there fighting relegation, Grealish or Trez net those opportunities and it's a different game. For all their attacking prowess they are vulnerable at the back and that's why we were able to play on the front foot - the utterly ridiculous penalty decision (which unbelievably some are saying was a pen and was clever play FFS) changed the whole complexion.

I'm not surprised to see Mings ranting - it's what happens when the chips are down in this sport, the work rate in the 2nd half was appalling and there's clearly no chemistry between DS & JT on the sidelines (never has been when you look at their body language).

The ref - you could see he waited for Greenwood to get the shot off before he blew up for the half, yes Mings lost possession but he was then caught in two minds as he had to cover Taylor or close down the ball.

Grealish isn't doing himself any favours playing deep when Luiz has now come good, I think he's ignoring Smith to get as much ball as possible in front of the cameras. It's ok earlier in the season when you're not fighting relegation and the midfield has been so weak but had he stuck to his task last night we might have made it harder for them.

We have to show up for the full 90 next game or that's our fate sealed - what a poor league when you can lose 21 in 34 and still be mathematically in with a shout of survival.

Spot on WCV perfectly summed up but although mathamatically possible it does mean (pending other results) that we will need to win 2 and draw 2 or win 3 of the last 4 to stay up? I do not think we have it in us, dont forget, this is not because of the restart, we were shocking before lockdown!
    I think that is 2 points from a possible 39👀
    By the time we play palace we may just be too far in the plop to get out both West ham and watford could be 7 pts ahead with only 12 / 9 available. Its doable if you are playing well but sadly, our team looks shot to pieces and you just cannot pick it up. We need some luck, rub of the green, a goal!!!! Again last night, 1 shot on target.
    The restart with 5 subs, no crowd and tactical breaks not drinks breaks have conspired against us!
    I'v have already accepted our fate but it will still hurt.😬

All we can hope for is that we bl00dy well learn from our mistakes this time round - the team are far better than the last side that went down. I do like the way Smith got us playing early in the season, we just didn't have enough quality in the midfield to retain possession and individual mistakes have cost us along with the options from the bench on 60 mins.

Can't really say we have been unlucky though across the season, the things that go for & against us even themselves out.

Keep the faith!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)