+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Nelson's statue defaced, when will this all stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    True, but down the pub some of the insults traded on here would have earned a flat nose
    Very true, which is probably why many opinions werent aired.

True, but down the pub some of the insults traded on here would have earned a flat nose
    That's possibly the reason the adage existed in the first place

We now go over to the prime members of the flat nose society Grist,gm_gm & gf

Easy now, Zyles. The only express threat of violence I have seen on here is when your chum, animal expressed a desire to put a brick into my face.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Years ago we didnt have platforms like MM to air our views publicly. Your comment was only heard by your family or the bloke youre boozing with down the pub.

People may have been airing their views but no one really knew.
    I kind of agree with you. The internet allows people to act in a fashion that standards of 'normal' human would not permit face to face.

The internet is an example of a 'right' to express views without the responsibilty' that would normally attach to that.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    The Ford Foundation have given them $100 million.
    With all due respect gf, this sounds like boolocks.

Don't suppose you have a link?

I won't hold my breath.

There's a common theme with many of the claims being made.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Easy now, Zyles. The only express threat of violence I have seen on here is when your chum, animal expressed a desire to put a brick into my face.
    And what's that got to do with me?
    But while we're on the subject an example of threatening violence very recently was to put roly in a wheelchair although you've probably forgotten conveniently [ can't be bothered to check who]
    check out CAM's reaction if you require confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    And what's that got to do with me?
    But while we're on the subject an example of threatening violence very recently was to put roly in a wheelchair although you've probably forgotten conveniently [ can't be bothered to check who]
    check out CAM's reaction if you require confirmation
    Another liar who can't read. Go back and read it carefully.

You're definitely one little soul who loves hiding behind a keyboard.

'can't be bothered' more like frothing at the mouth, you sad little excuse for a human being.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    With all due respect gf, this sounds like boolocks.

Don't suppose you have a link?

I won't hold my breath.

There's a common theme with many of the claims being made.
    I guess this is the $100m in question.

https://www.truthorfiction.com/ford-...-lives-matter/

There could be some interesting points raised in this thread if people would stop the personal stuff. Some interesting questions have arisen:

1. Should the actions of the fringe minority extremists invalidate the arguments of what is otherwise a peaceful and coherent movement?
    2. Are the actions of such extremists being highlighted in the media to fuel a 'culture war' and distract us from focusing on scrutinising news events? Same could be said in favour of the statue protectors.
    3. Are multi-millionaires funding BLM (and others?) - and if there is evidence of this (other than in fanatical accusing websites), what are their real motivations? Are they genuinely trying to divide and rule (as IBS says) or are they simply funding a cause that they think is just?
    4. Would a secure society/culture make headline news of an individual placing 'anarchy' graffiti on a statue? Or would it just clean it off and carry on being secure?

I don't see any reason why people can't argue for/against any of these things without getting nasty and personal and it could make for interesting reading. If someone is lacking evidence for their views, ask them politely to provide it. If someone asks you for evidence to back up your claim, just provide it, or say "I haven't got it, but I hold this opinion anyway ta".

For the record, for anyone that cares, I think that the prophecies of doom, blood and tears in response to this 'culture war' are somewhat overblown. When you actually look at the nuts and bolts of what is going on, there are precious few normal everyday people that are involved in actions for and against cultural change. Many are involved in the movement to improve what they perceive to be inequality, and will lend their support to online petitions and even attend marches, but the majority have no wish whatsoever to be involved with extreme protest. That is just a very small minority, and many of those are on other political extremes like anarchism etc. On the other side, it tends to be the older white people that are agitated and anxious about changes in society, be it changing of language, statues that we choose to look up to. The vast majority of white people under the age of 50 are either uncommitted either way, have a fair degree of sympathy with their black colleagues but not drawn into action or happy to actively support changes in language and symbolism.

5. Maybe younger generations have a right to re-evaluate what is handed down to them and make changes to what they see around them?

But I don't see rivers of blood. Not enough people outside of the extremes really care.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast