+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Nelson's statue defaced, when will this all stop?

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    On the other side, it tends to be the older white people that are agitated and anxious about changes in society, be it changing of language, statues that we choose to look up to. The vast majority of white people under the age of 50 are either uncommitted either way, have a fair degree of sympathy with their black colleagues but not drawn into action or happy to actively support changes in language and symbolism.
    Would you tolerate such sweeping generalisations about, say, young black people, I wonder?

I have no idea about who funds BLM or their motives. I have even less interest.

I would love to see a society where skin colour had as much significance as shoe size when people interact, but I think that focusing on statues and the actions of people several centuries ago is not going to achieve that and will simply serve to trivialise the issue of prejudice and entrench views.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Would you tolerate such sweeping generalisations about, say, young black people, I wonder?

I have no idea about who funds BLM or their motives. I have even less interest.

I would love to see a society where skin colour had as much significance as shoe size when people interact, but I think that focusing on statues and the actions of people several centuries ago is not going to achieve that and will simply serve to trivialise the issue of prejudice and entrench views.
    I would if they lacked credibility or came from a place of hostility as opposed to trying to understand or help resolve a situation. I don't personally see any hostility in saying that a section of society are more likely than others to be the ones who are anxious and agitated by something. And it certainly is trying to understand the situation. Feel free to disagree, but much evidence is on this board

You may wish for a world where skin colour is insignificant. It is to you. You have achieved that. You never had the problem of not having that as a problem in your life. But it isn't to people who have demonstrably less favourable prospects in their education and careers compared to white people. And you won't achieve your nirvana until that balance is reached I'm afraid.

I tend to agree on the statues/historical figures comment but refer you back to my point that such actions and arguments for all but the more obvious targets are very, very minority extremists or owners/councils that are responsible for statues that have a perfect right to review with their communities whether such figures are still relevant to the lives of the people within those communities.

What happens when white men are made redundant to increase diversity in organisations is that they then tend to set up their companies which creates more white bosses which then gets called "white privilege."

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    I guess this is the $100m in question.

https://www.truthorfiction.com/ford-...-lives-matter/
    $100 million to BLM-supported organisations then.

Same with Open Society who give money to BLM-supported organisations rather than directly to them.
    Last edited by great_fire; 07-07-2020 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    What happens when white men are made redundant to increase diversity in organisations is that they then tend to set up their companies which creates more white bosses which then gets called "white privilege."
    Like the BBC is doing, filling jobs on diversity requirements rather than by talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Like the BBC is doing, filling jobs on diversity requirements rather than by talent.
    Everyone’s running scared Grist. Nobody dare say a wrong word at the moment. This has been a long time coming and rightly so but, I wouldn’t like to see it get out of hand and mayhem ensue.

The black community must also hold themselves accountable for bringing on so called unjustice by their own actions, I say that with a liberal spread across all their neighbourhoods. There are some places even delivery people can’t go because of threats of robbery and violence and yes John I have more than enough proof to back that up!

Due to my advanced years I’ve seen and heard many things good and bad.

Just lately though I’ve heard more negative stuff about BLM and “non whites” than I’ve ever heard before.

Can’t be good

Makes you wonder where all this projected/support money Will end up and used for what,

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Makes you wonder where all this projected/support money Will end up and used for what,
    Probably to put up some statues

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Everyone’s running scared Grist. Nobody dare say a wrong word at the moment. This has been a long time coming and rightly so but, I wouldn’t like to see it get out of hand and mayhem ensue.

The black community must also hold themselves accountable for bringing on so called unjustice by their own actions, I say that with a liberal spread across all their neighbourhoods. There are some places even delivery people can’t go because of threats of robbery and violence and yes John I have more than enough proof to back that up!
    https://harpers.org/a-letter-on-just...d-open-debate/

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast