+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Season start?

Season start?

On the O/S DA believes that 29th August is likely to be the start date for next season. He reckons that's good as the balance of loss from paying back TV rights is greater than the loss at a home game.
    However, it's not great for supporters as we don:t know yet what the arrangements will be. Also, his calculations must assume no restrictions on attendance, which I don't believe will be the case.
    Further, if the fixture list brings Sunderland, Shrewsbury, Portsmouth and/or Ipswich in early season to play behind closed doors, the losses will be huge.
    I'm not very happy about such an early start and not sure I would feel safe in a large crowd.

I was thinking of mid-September as the earliest start date. Fully agree that starting the season whilst supporters are not allowed into grounds is financially disastrous. However, as someone who is very wary of using public transport in central London, I can fully understand why a number of supporters would have reservations about attending games.

Quite apart from being in a 'large crowd' as a 'clinically vulnerable' person, I'd also have to travel on a bus and a train to get there.

who knows when we will be allowed back in grounds and what restrictions will be in place but i think it will not be to far in the future as gyms etc are allowed to open again soon. Obviously it is everyone's decision whether to attend or not. I for one will be there as soon as we are allowed back in.

The way things are going it will be no away fans, no refreshments (not a great loss tbh) and restricted numbers... but then we will be able to use all 4 sides of the ground. I’ve every sympathy for fans like gazan, but I will be back as soon as I can.

For the Prem they're talking about maybe 50% capacity, which is going to rpevent season ticket holders at Man Ure going, but would not hurt us except at a handful of games - but then apart from same household they'd need to move some of us form ur prized seats to spread us out. Nobody's going to want to move from centre stand to top right corner!

Bearing in mind the season may start in as little as 7 weeks (or 9), when do the players return for training. I thought DA had hinted today but there's no mention of it anywhere.
    Also, will the pre-season be limited to intra-squad games or will games be set up against local teams? I suppose finance will limit the possibilities of playing local teams.

DA said testing in last week of July, small group non-contact training (running etc) in first week, moving on to 6 on 6, then full training in th next week. So August basically a normal July timescale, but maybe no games unless they can play Nantwich behind closed doors?

I would imagine that, like the PL and Championship did before restarting, that we could play other League clubs behind closed doors - not sure the ‘non-League’ clubs will have been through all of the requirements that Shrop detailed....

First friendly penciled in for early September so I feel the start will be towards the end of September.The longer it is left the more games have to be squeezed in and I feel some cups will disappear for good. League cup and tin pot cup.In the long term not good for smaller clubs as this is a source of revenue during the winter months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast