+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Costa

Quote Originally Posted by MrsORichSenior View Post
    This may help you to Costa's role within Bielsa play patterns.
    https://totalfootballanalysis.com/co...alysis-tactics

MOT
    Thanks Mrs O, it's an interesting article.

I think it confirms that he is playing a different role for us, one where he is recognised for his affect within the team, compared to being centre stage at Wolves.

Truly think he had a solid season this year and we will see an even better player next. A bit like Harrison.

costa not the player he was at wolves, £16 million. might as well have kept sacko he's just as $hite.

I seem to recall another player that didn't do much the first year with us under MB that really stepped up his game this year. One of the best midfield wings in the league and certainly a prem level player.

Let's hope that we get the same next year with Costa.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsORichSenior View Post
    Being present watching most of his matches the pace of Costa combined with hold up play of Patrick Bamford meant Leeds always had an outlet to occupy the other teams defence & midfield even when we didn't have possession which is important for our game plan.

So far in a Leeds United shirt Costa hasn’t seemed to have a 'defined role' in the Leeds attack.If Costa hugs the touchline it has often looked alien to the way Leeds usually build their attacks but WITH Pablo in the team Bielsa is always vocally encouraging him to stay high and wide and WITHOUT Pablo he tends to drift inwards more looking to find the ball - so 'appears' to be less effective to some fans,IMO.

When Hernandez returns to fitness it is almost certain that Costa will return to that wider position so that Leeds can revert back to Bielsa’s favoured game plan to overload the right hand side with him drifting inside with our right full back overlapping and Klich coming to support. Then with the opposition pulled over to the right the switch of play (to the opposite side of the pitch) we excel at would find Harrison positioned high and wide which was very successful prior to Xmas particularly on the counter attack.

That is why the club rates him and at 26,a team player,not selfish on/off the pitch and living disciplined lifestyle poses no embarrassment to the clubs corporate image activities,IMO,and obviously those ticked boxes are what Bielsa expects and hopefully Costa with consistent regular full backs behind him will become more prominent in the PL and exploit the time and space it will offer him.

MOT
    Perfectly put..

I always gage what the fans of the club a player is leaving have to say and it would appear they are absolutely delighted that he is sold and they have got 16 million quid for him with one Wolves fan even saying who ever brokered that deal for Wolves deserves a knighthood.

The year Wolves went up from the championship he was superb but I have not really seen that Costa with us.

Quote Originally Posted by LeedsFTW View Post
    Costa was one of the best wingers in the championship when he was at Wolves. He absolutely terrified defences and a year ago it was a real coup that we were able to sign him at all.

I agree he appears to have fallen short of his own high standards so far, but this is his first season with us and Biesla. For some reason I thought he often played left wing at Wolves or was permitted to interchange positions more?

I think he defensive duties with us have shackled him a bit plus I dont think Bamord is agile enough to compliment him in attack.

We have a class player in Costa we just need to use him more effectively.
    Agree with this. Costa has been a huge disappointment this season and appears lacking in confidence. I too thought he played on the left at Wolves. Doubling up with Douglas? We have seen glimpses of his undoubted speed and ability and I just hope he has a return to form. He was the real deal so I won’t give up hope just yet.

Worth it after winning pen #fickleandy

worth his money today, fair play to him, ive knocked him a lot the last few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by asturianblanco View Post
    worth his money today, fair play to him, ive knocked him a lot the last few weeks.
    Agreed, and the same from me in terms of criticism. Needs to do it regularly (not every game perhaps, but more than 1 in 5).

Yes credit where its due but we need that kind of performance on a more regular basis.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)