+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cardiff trying to give it away

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Thought Martin was brilliant tonight I apologise for all I've ever said about him Apart from no shots no headers no running he was ok

Deffo worth another season, he is not nicknamed wardrobe fr nothing!

We've known all along that we may well fall a little short this season, and the last four games against teams who, in all likelihood will extend theirs, proves that.

Again there were good things about the evening. We started both halves with energy and intent. We picked the tempo up again after the first half drinks break. Our centre halves (whoever they are) continue to play well. We scored a beautifully crafted goal.

Equally, last night repeated the consistent weaknesses which are holding us back. Mistakes in key areas for their goals. Inability to keep the tempo and passing up for really long periods (its as if we forget and slip into ingrained ways), little goal threat, Martin too isolated, and not enough men in the opponents' box when we get there. Also, lack of real pace in the team.

Rooney has clearly had an influence off the field - it can be no coincidence that we were top of the form table 3 games ago - but I think championship managers have now had time to work him out. He gets caught in possession far too often for a player of his quality, and sadly when he's not on his game, we usually fail.
    Last night was a bigger worry as far as I'm concerned. Too many hollywood passes, especially after we trailed, little talking to his younger team mates, and overall much poorer body language. I hope that its just the number of games in such a short period which has taken its toll, but he has been a shadow of the March player since lockdown.
    IMO, any other player playing that poorly would have been subbed at HT at the latest

I enjoy Cocu's basic premise in respect of possession football, and for the first time in some years you can see the coaching actually having an effect. There is a good pattern to our play. Being ultra critical, we do have a habit of "doing an Arsenal", ie. trying to score the perfect goal sometimes, but overall I like what I see. It needs more oomph rather more frequently than we currently see.

Roos - Faultless. Catching not punching more too. My MOTM
    Lowe -Always less likely to go past his man on the right but a solid performance defensively.
    Fozzy - Reliable as always, and very good against a good opponent.
    Clarke - Consistently good.
    Davies -A surprisingly excellent return.
    Bird - Quiet.
    Rooney - poor. Shouldn't play against the DYS
    Lawrence - Industrious but continues to make poor decisions in the final third. As the left sided of the attacking midfield 3, I'd expect to see him frequently out there on the left wing...... hardly ever there. Again some good defensive work.
    Knight - Needed the goal, worked hard. Awful pass for their first and nearly gifted them a 2nd, Roos saved his bacon there.
    Martin - Quiet, wonderful lay off for the goal.
    Sibley - Not his best night but always a threat.

Our season overall is epitomised by the youngsters - you can't expect instant consistency when 3 or 4 starters are still in the very early stages of learning their trade. Sibley needs to work on his first touch, Bird needs to improve his range of passing, Knight his awareness, but for goodness sake they have done brilliantly this season and have a quality coach to guide them.

We need pace, and more athleticism, and we're not too far away.

This game will, in a few years, be a quiz question. When did a side last lose 1-2 away from home and supply the assist for both of their opponent's goals plus that of their own?

Maddy, the telling point of DCFC this season is, you haven't beaten a top 6 side all season.
    Play offs were always a dream, in that context.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Deffo worth another season, he is not nicknamed wardrobe fr nothing!
    Yes that's one thing he is good at . Seriously though he's worth another season

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Maddy, the telling point of DCFC this season is, you haven't beaten a top 6 side all season.
    Play offs were always a dream, in that context.
    We took a point of your lot and gave you three you didn't deserve though😊

We took a point of your lot and gave you three you didn't deserve though��
    I think it was one gift each sonny.
    But still doesn't change the fact, you hven't beaten a top 6 side all season.
    There was alot of optimism here of making the play offs. But seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    We've known all along that we may well fall a little short this season, and the last four games against teams who, in all likelihood will extend theirs, proves that.

Again there were good things about the evening. We started both halves with energy and intent. We picked the tempo up again after the first half drinks break. Our centre halves (whoever they are) continue to play well. We scored a beautifully crafted goal.

Equally, last night repeated the consistent weaknesses which are holding us back. Mistakes in key areas for their goals. Inability to keep the tempo and passing up for really long periods (its as if we forget and slip into ingrained ways), little goal threat, Martin too isolated, and not enough men in the opponents' box when we get there. Also, lack of real pace in the team.

Rooney has clearly had an influence off the field - it can be no coincidence that we were top of the form table 3 games ago - but I think championship managers have now had time to work him out. He gets caught in possession far too often for a player of his quality, and sadly when he's not on his game, we usually fail.
    Last night was a bigger worry as far as I'm concerned. Too many hollywood passes, especially after we trailed, little talking to his younger team mates, and overall much poorer body language. I hope that its just the number of games in such a short period which has taken its toll, but he has been a shadow of the March player since lockdown.
    IMO, any other player playing that poorly would have been subbed at HT at the latest

I enjoy Cocu's basic premise in respect of possession football, and for the first time in some years you can see the coaching actually having an effect. There is a good pattern to our play. Being ultra critical, we do have a habit of "doing an Arsenal", ie. trying to score the perfect goal sometimes, but overall I like what I see. It needs more oomph rather more frequently than we currently see.

Roos - Faultless. Catching not punching more too. My MOTM
    Lowe -Always less likely to go past his man on the right but a solid performance defensively.
    Fozzy - Reliable as always, and very good against a good opponent.
    Clarke - Consistently good.
    Davies -A surprisingly excellent return.
    Bird - Quiet.
    Rooney - poor. Shouldn't play against the DYS
    Lawrence - Industrious but continues to make poor decisions in the final third. As the left sided of the attacking midfield 3, I'd expect to see him frequently out there on the left wing...... hardly ever there. Again some good defensive work.
    Knight - Needed the goal, worked hard. Awful pass for their first and nearly gifted them a 2nd, Roos saved his bacon there.
    Martin - Quiet, wonderful lay off for the goal.
    Sibley - Not his best night but always a threat.

Our season overall is epitomised by the youngsters - you can't expect instant consistency when 3 or 4 starters are still in the very early stages of learning their trade. Sibley needs to work on his first touch, Bird needs to improve his range of passing, Knight his awareness, but for goodness sake they have done brilliantly this season and have a quality coach to guide them.

We need pace, and more athleticism, and we're not too far away.

This game will, in a few years, be a quiz question. When did a side last lose 1-2 away from home and supply the assist for both of their opponent's goals plus that of their own?
    MA good summing up we are were we are at the moment Can't be to hard on Rooney without him we would undoubtedly be in a relegation scrap now Agree lack of pace in the side let's us down Plus to many light weights you have to have a mixture of both in this division Not sure Cocu understands that ,not a lot of teams get out of it playing pure football ,you got to be able to mix it Thought Clarke played well again my POTS another loanie gets it same as last year for me Probably tell us a lot about our own players

MA good summing up we are were we are at the moment Can't be to hard on Rooney without him we would undoubtedly be in a relegation scrap now Agree lack of pace in the side let's us down Plus to many light weights you have to have a mixture of both in this division Not sure Cocu understands that ,not a lot of teams get out of it playing pure football ,you got to be able to mix it Thought Clarke played well again my POTS another loanie gets it same as last year for me Probably tell us a lot about our own players
    Mine too mista. Roos defo our MOTM last night IMO.

I have heard a rumour that we have asked BHA if we can have him back on loan next season. I'd prefer us to buy him if at all possible but he cost BHA 3.5M and after the season he's had he'd probably cost 7M now and I don't think we have that amount of money for transfers.... or not for a single tramsfer anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)