+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: So, cricket starts

So, cricket starts

or rather it doesn't. Typical

get the dominoes out someone

Going well!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Going well!
    Mmmm perhaps not!!

Fair do's, difficult conditions and lack of game time doesn't make for easy batting and the Windies have been at it with the ball. All told I think I'd prefer to watch the other side try to get runs than face 90ish mph myself.

Early days.

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Mmmm perhaps not!!

Fair do's, difficult conditions and lack of game time doesn't make for easy batting and the Windies have been at it with the ball. All told I think I'd prefer to watch the other side try to get runs than face 90ish mph myself.

Early days.
    Always bat 1st! Hopefully these 2 can make a decent partnership.

Edit... buggar
    Last edited by AdiSalisbury; 09-07-2020 at 01:44 PM.

If the conditions remain dank and miserable 225 might be a decent number. However, there is a general improvement forecast over the next day or so which should favour the Windies.
    Need some gritty runs from the tail.

Edit, double bugger!
    175 perhaps??

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    Always bat 1st!
    You reckon? Not in these conditions.
    Windies pile on the runs in perfect batting conditions. Beginning to look horribly one sided, staring at a first innings deficit of at least 150 at the moment.

Yep, always. You control the game when you bat 1st. Windies have just been, better. Saying that, we've just got a wicket.

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    Yep, always. You control the game when you bat 1st. Windies have just been, better. Saying that, we've just got a wicket.
    Tbf, they’ve had the best of the conditions for bowling and batting, Adi.

Can see your point in club cricket, but in 3-5 day cricket I think it’s a bit more complicated.

In conditions which are forecast to be moist and humid for the first day and a half and then dry and bright for the remainder you’d bowl first wouldn’t you?

If you bowl so well that you bowl them out in half a day, you've then got to face those conditions yourself. You then have to consider the conditions for the final day, when the wicket is cracked and covered in foot holes, much more a factor in a 5 day game than any 45 over village game. I'd rather have the bat in my hand from the 1st ball thank you, for me it's the difference between positivity and fear.

"When you win the toss – bat. If you are in doubt, think about it, then bat. If you have very big doubts, consult a colleague – then bat."
    W G Grace

It's a bit typical of the English to blame a below par batting performance on conditions.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)