+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: John Sheridan

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    I remember the fans calling out for Trew to hire him and saw him as our saviour !!!!
    the seagulls follow the trawler !
    As with many things at Notts County I think it was bad timing. When he arrived at Meadow Lane he had done reasonably well wherever he had gone. His tenure at Notts and his tenures since have been poor. He averaged .98 points a league game at Notts followed it up by doing almost as badly at Oldham and the Spireites with a brief period of doing ok at Carlisle. I think the fans were right as was Ray Trew to want to bring him at the time as long as the then owner was not aware he was a raving alcoholic! He had a good record which since he joined Notts has gone down the pan big style. Probably the biggest flop in terms of appointments other than possibly Paul Ince.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    As with many things at Notts County I think it was bad timing. When he arrived at Meadow Lane he had done reasonably well wherever he had gone. His tenure at Notts and his tenures since have been poor. He averaged .98 points a league game at Notts followed it up by doing almost as badly at Oldham and the Spireites with a brief period of doing ok at Carlisle. I think the fans were right as was Ray Trew to want to bring him at the time as long as the then owner was not aware he was a raving alcoholic! He had a good record which since he joined Notts has gone down the pan big style. Probably the biggest flop in terms of appointments other than possibly Paul Ince.
    A Raving alcoholic you say !
    I will raise you with a one Howard Kendall .....Allegedly !
    Oh those were the days of pride and glory

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    A Raving alcoholic you say !
    I will raise you with a one Howard Kendall .....Allegedly !
    Oh those were the days of pride and glory
    Yes I've heard all the Whisky Bottle stories!

You don't think it might have been working at The Lane that made them take to the bottle?

Some Notts managers....

John Sherrydan
    Colin Murphys
    Mark Stupor
    Craig Short

Is that the lot?

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Some Notts managers....

John Sherrydan
    Colin Murphys
    Mark Stupor
    Craig Short

Is that the lot?
    Jocky Scotch
    Mick Walkers
    Bacardi Moniz

and

Neal Ardley ever has a drink

All of the time Sheridan was here, we were up for sale under the least interested Chairman we've probably ever had. Did Trew attend a single game whilst Sheridan was in charge?

That's not to say Sheridan hadn't lost the plot, but he probably would have done a lot better had he been appointed a few years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBalrog View Post
    Well is seems crystal clear he's on the slide.
    His next stop will be across the Channel in Lalique.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    All of the time Sheridan was here, we were up for sale under the least interested Chairman we've probably ever had. Did Trew attend a single game whilst Sheridan was in charge?

That's not to say Sheridan hadn't lost the plot, but he probably would have done a lot better had he been appointed a few years earlier.
    Sheridan started off well then Trew seemingly decided to just give up. We went on that disastrous 13 game run when apparently players weren't being paid allegedly and all that stuff before we was bought and Nolan put in charge. Take those 13 games out (and the 3 points we gained in that period) and we had 53 points from 33 games at 1.6 points a game. If we applied the 1.6 points a game to those 13 games and we'd have 20/21 points extra putting us safely in the playoffs that season. Also the fact pretty much that same squad got us into the playoffs the season after shows how much off field events impacted us

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Sheridan started off well then Trew seemingly decided to just give up. We went on that disastrous 13 game run when apparently players weren't being paid allegedly and all that stuff before we was bought and Nolan put in charge. Take those 13 games out (and the 3 points we gained in that period) and we had 53 points from 33 games at 1.6 points a game. If we applied the 1.6 points a game to those 13 games and we'd have 20/21 points extra putting us safely in the playoffs that season. Also the fact pretty much that same squad got us into the playoffs the season after shows how much off field events impacted us
    What I find galling about that period is the attitude of some of our players. Other teams (e.g. Macclesfield last year) seem to be galvanised by off the field hardship. I get that behind the scenes problems are really unsettling, but we seem to have had a problem with player attitudes and motivation for some years. One aspect of the current squad that cheers me is that things seem to be a whole lot better now in this respect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast