+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Manager Mellon

Quote Originally Posted by BudMill90 View Post
    As impossible as it is to replicate, Liverpool play the 'perfect' style of football in my opinion. They will pass across the back for a very short time, defenders will look for balls over the top to pacey forwards. If the forwards come short, they get the ball into feet and flood forward to support them.

If the opposition build from the back, they press them from the first pass and keep them in their own half, forcing them to go long, and then they win the aerial battle to win possession back. It's simple to explain, but very tough to carry out.

Mellon mentioned desire, commitment, hard-work and more things along those lines in his interviews. I think we can expect a team that gives everything for the jersey and that is enough for me.

Its good to watch, its effective and team dont like playing against it.
    Agree with that. However Liverpool and Man City are able to buy the best players and the best coaches so they will always have a statistically better chance of playing good football more consistently than say Norwich.

To get a team like ours playing consistently good football at our level needs the coach to identify players he can rely on to do what he asks of them, coach them to be able to be comfortable in possession, to hold the ball up until another player is available, to move off the ball to create space and have at least one creative mid who can play balls in behind defenders or triangles just outside the 18 yard box. Plus at least one winger who can beat his man and deliver crosses consistently. Imo under Robbie we had none of that, although we did show it in flashes.
    Robbie won the league because we overall had better players than the other teams, not by the quality of football the team produced.
    In the Premiership we won't have that superiority of players we'll need to beat teams by playing better football than them on that particular day.

If you look back to the great days of the 80's we didn't beat Celtic the Rangers Aberdeen etc because we had a bigger budget, we beat them consistently because the manager had an eye for a player and was able to coach them brilliantly into a winning unit.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    What I'm saying is there are fans that will never be happy and always criticise 'style of play', even if a team are winning.
    very true mate, stood in snug many a time or sat back on the bus and wondered how the f uck we came away with 3 points at alot of games.

He talks a good game, says all of the right things. If his team plays as well then we will be in good shape!

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Maybe not this season but it'll happen.Someone always has issues with 'the football' on offer. Have a look at the number of folk saying it's great as we'll now have attractive attacking football now RN is gone.
    Yes but that was in the Championship. With our budget we should have won it at a canter and have been able to play attractive football. I won't be expecting the same in our first season in the Premier league. Survival is all that matters this season, then we can build on that.

Quote Originally Posted by jjaflup22 View Post
    I won't be expecting the same in our first season in the Premier league. Survival is all that matters this season, then we can build on that.
    You say that now but, and I'm just asking, did you previously think that all that was important last season was winning and getting out of the Championship?

Cracking interview with the new man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrHQ...R9yNqPN18wz6qc

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Cracking interview with the new man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrHQ...R9yNqPN18wz6qc
    I’m already fearing the day this guy moves on (whether sacked or moving on to bigger things!)

Been an absolute age since we had an honest, decent and genuinely optimistic guy at the helm. With the exception of Raymondo we’ve had one arrogant f4nny after another since Houston.

Really like the way this guy goes about his business!

Quote Originally Posted by Sande_Man View Post
    I’m already fearing the day this guy moves on (whether sacked or moving on to bigger things!)

Been an absolute age since we had an honest, decent and genuinely optimistic guy at the helm. With the exception of Raymondo we’ve had one arrogant f4nny after another since Houston.

Really like the way this guy goes about his business!
    I know mate. I watched Neilson interview with Hearts the other day and it was absolute cringe worthy. Could have almost predicted the generic, regurgitated, pish that was coming out his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    I know mate. I watched Neilson interview with Hearts the other day and it was absolute cringe worthy. Could have almost predicted the generic, regurgitated, pish that was coming out his mouth.
    And there’s no way MM would celebrate taking 10 man St Mirren to pens!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)