+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struber .... Should He Go If We Go Down ?

Struber .... Should He Go If We Go Down ?

I think he's done a reasonable job with what he has to work with , he's found a way to gain some wins and we've made a better fist of it than looked possible earlier in the campaign .

On the flip side to this , far too many players are playing out of position for me when we have players on the bench who play in those actual positions ,

There's more than a hint of favoritism with some players , Ritzmaier is the stand out who seems not to do any wrong despite the fact he's absolutely woeful and its debatable whether he's even up to it a league lower .

However you could make a case he's done well enough to earn a crack next season if we go down .

I'd get shut not because of this season , I'd get shut because I don't think his particularly methods are suited to league one .

League one isn't rocket science and I fear Struber would complicate things , Lee Johnson fell in to this trap , Hecky went 4-4-2 , got some width in the team , Fletcher and Winnall up top and we stormed to promotion .

Same with Stendel , nowt complicated going on here either , the high press = run your nuts off , get the ball back and flood forward .

Thiam wide left , Potts / Brown wide right , Moore and Woodrow up top .

My gut instinct says Struber will go about it differently and it will blow up in his face , it won't work and then he'll search for the answer and complicate it even more and confidence within the group will disintegrate .

I accept its a harsh one but I think it would be the right one .

I think Struber was sold this job by Hoss on the basis of it being a stepping stone to a "bigger" club in Europe, possibly one bought by the "Consortium". He was allowed to by-pass the recruitment policy to bring in his own choice of experience-Sollbauer and Ritzmaier-and a loan in Ludewig to entice him here/

I can't tek to the guy on a personal level but he has done as much as he could with the hand dealt by Conway plus the extras. Whether he could have done any better than Stendel early season when all the kids were shell-shocked by defeats to much stronger experienced teams am not so sure. He has benefited from the players having a few months to get to know the levels required before he arrived and bringing in his own players. We were bottom when he came, we are a point off bottom now.

I think there will be relegation clauses for both parties, the owners may relieve Struber of his duties or Struber may line himself up with another club in Austria/Germany/Switzerland, tekkin the trio of players with him.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 09-07-2020 at 11:58 AM.

He should go in my opinion. Back to basics as you quite rightly say Animal. We all know what's required in league 1, fitness, stamina, simplicity and spirit takes you a long way.

I think Struber has done a steady job in his time here but maybe there's signs that he's lost respect and that could be for various reasons. I look at Chaplains goal celebration against Blackburn, it was a massive goal yet he dint look a happy bunny and was proper glaring at Struber on the bench. A happy camp it appears not. Spirit is key, the Flicker 2013 spirit and togetherness got us through. Do we currently have that within the camp?

With players taking to social media, the rumours of bust ups, the Bambo situation, the Wilks situation etc. It doesn't help matters. Personally, I'd let Struber go and bring in Simon Grayson. A manager with good experience and a fair record in league 1 and probably just what we need.

I don't think it's a difficult job getting us back up from League 1. We have some decent young'uns that have experience. Styles, Brown J.Williams and Oduor will stand out.

Chaplin will score goals as will Simoes. Mowatt will be here until January at least. Hopefully Diaby will be eligible and able to partner Sollbauer or Halme in defence.

A striker to replace Woodrow and we'll be fine. Although I fancy Schmidt to come good in League 1 and I've been impressed with Miller the tiny bit I've seen of him.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    I think Struber was sold this job by Hoss on the basis of it being a stepping stone to a "bigger" club in Europe, possibly one bought by the "Consortium". He was allowed to by-pass the recruitment policy to bring in his own choice of experience-Sollbauer and Ritzmaier-and a loan in Ludewig to entice him here/

I can't tek to the guy on a personal level but he has done as much as he could with the hand dealt by Conway plus the extras. Whether he could have done any better than Stendel early season when all the kids were shell-shocked by defeats to much stronger experienced teams am not so sure. He has benefited from the players having a few months to get to know the levels required before he arrived and bringing in his own players. We were bottom when he came, we are a point off bottom now.

I think there will be relegation clauses for both parties, the owners may relieve Struber of his duties or Struber may line himself up with another club in Austria/Germany/Switzerland, tekkin the trio of players with him.
    I also think there's a question mark at league one level whether this group have the physicality to cope with the demands in league one .

Team of dwarfs , we've not only knocked another two years off the average age of the squad we managed to knock a foot of height off too whilst we were at it .

The group last season played some very decent football , they played that football because nobody could out muscle them .

One game from last season sticks in my mind , Shrewsbury at home on Good Friday afternoon .

Beccles and co at the back that day were giving Woodrow and Brown a torrid time , bullying them and were bossing it .

Moore came on after his long lay off with his head injury on about 60 minutes with the game at 1-1 .

Different ball game nar , Moore starting backing in , putting his sen abart , they disintegrated and young Brown knocked in the winner shortly after .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I also think there's a question mark at league one level whether this group have the physicality to cope with the demands in league one .

Team of dwarfs , we've not only knocked another two years off the average age of the squad we managed to knock a foot of height off too whilst we were at it .

The group last season played some very decent football , they played that football because nobody could out muscle them .

One game from last season sticks in my mind , Shrewsbury at home on Good Friday afternoon .

Beccles and co at the back that day were giving Woodrow and Brown a torrid time , bullying them and were bossing it .

Moore came on after his long lay off with his head injury on about 60 minutes with the game at 1-1 .

Different ball game nar , Moore starting backing in , putting his sen abart , they disintegrated and young Brown knocked in the winner shortly after .
    You're assuming that no signings will be made though. It was doom and gloom when we sold Bradshaw but we brought Woodrow straight in. Dougall and Bahre were brought in and Mcgeehan was a revelation when partnered with Mowatt.

It isn't doom and gloom at League 1 level. Far from it. I was reassured when we signed Woodrow because although we didn't sign the Gooden, Eves or Norwood people were touting we went one better and signed a player who turned out to be a cut above.

Recruitment at league 1 level is least of our worries. It's hoping lessons have been learned for our return.

Schmidt will bully the big. hairy-arsed Third Division Centre Backs, just thee watch.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Schmidt will bully the big. hairy-arsed Third Division Centre Backs, just thee watch.
    He won't have to bully them. Just like Adeboyejo, Brown, Moore and Woodrow didn't have to do. What about the lad Miller. He's a decent sized lad. He could be the next George Waring?

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    You're assuming that no signings will be made though. It was doom and gloom when we sold Bradshaw but we brought Woodrow straight in. Dougall and Bahre were brought in and Mcgeehan was a revelation when partnered with Mowatt.

It isn't doom and gloom at League 1 level. Far from it. I was reassured when we signed Woodrow because although we didn't sign the Gooden, Eves or Norwood people were touting we went one better and signed a player who turned out to be a cut above.

Recruitment at league 1 level is least of our worries. It's hoping lessons have been learned for our return.
    Steve , if I could make a connection between recruitment and what the squad needs I'd be more than happy to agree with you .

I'm not bothered if he stays or goes, his not my cuppa teea , but he has done reasonably well , more importantly , who would you want as HC , Pass has gone for Simon Grayson , is he still managing someone ? I don't think it will be anyone we've heard about , my choice would be Gareth Barry , he's been taking his badges and apparently wanting a crack at Managing , he could be the new Clark/ Hunter type signing to lift the Fans and Town , maybe still able to play the odd game ? Respected throughout the game and will also have good contact's ,

he may have competition from the B A M E lads , Sol Campbell must be in the frame !!
    Last edited by Romared; 09-07-2020 at 01:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast