+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Derby’s dodgy £80m loan

Derby’s dodgy £80m loan

Derby County’s owner Mel Morris has received loans from a company linked to Henry Gabay, the businessman who was detained in France last week and faces German extradition charges in connection to an unrelated tax scandal, The Athletic can reveal.

Up until now, it was believed Gabay had only held talks with Morris about investing in Derby but The Athletic has uncovered that his involvement goes far beyond talks with the Derby owner. The Swiss-Turkish financier has already lent Morris the £81.1 million he used to buy the club’s stadium in 2018.

That purchase is already controversial as it has resulted in an English Football League disciplinary charge related to Derby allegedly overstating the value of Pride Park in an attempt to avoid a breach of the league’s profitability and sustainability rules.

Derby were the first side to spot the loophole in the rules that allowed clubs to sell their stadiums to their owners and then lease it back,...

Thankfully Dog hasn't got control over the immediate future of Oakwell Stadium with the Council owning half of it.

I remember some bluff and bluster when Dog came abart them buying the Council share within six months and massive improvements being in their plans.

The new hand dryers are "world beating" I evvto admit. And the "ladies things" in their toilets.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 10-07-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Thankfully Dog hasn't got control over the immediate future of Oakwell Stadium with the Council owning half of it.

I remember some bluff and bluster when Dog came abart them buying the Council share within six months and massive improvements being in their plans.

The new hand dryers are "world beating" I evvto admit. And the "ladies things" in their toilets.
    I think had that happened we'd have been in the Premiership by now. There's no doubt in my mind that it's a loophole that would have appealed to Chien and Co.

They want a Nice type club in England. If it wasn't for the ground issue they'd have put more money in. (Borrowed more money from themselves).

Ground Control to Major Dog. Ground Control to Major Dog

We were at least their fourth choice when looking forra club to buy in England and they leeted on us cos we were cheap and debt free. Not sure abart the Premiership ambition Ponte as they have no desire to gradually build a team year by year. I evva little slogan abart their policy--

#Profit Before Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Ground Control to Major Dog. Ground Control to Major Dog

We were at least their fourth choice when looking forra club to buy in England and they leeted on us cos we were cheap and debt free. Not sure abart the Premiership ambition Ponte as they have no desire to gradually build a team year by year. I evva little slogan abart their policy--

#Profit Before Ambition
    No I was assuming if they sold the ground to themselves that would generate them the same monopoly money to spend that other clubs have used SBRed

Nah. Dog would sell it to issen for a fiver then lease it back fora fortune. Mekkin im moor dosh.
    ees not med a money the nose.