+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T When the police go away, crime goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    So no need to defund the police then?
    Not especially as long as you invest in the most poverty hit communities. But we don't do we? We've done the opposite and crime rates are increasing in those areas. As it always does, everywhere in the world. So I guess some are suggesting that we divert some money from chasing and punishing crime after the event into reducing crime happening in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Not especially as long as you invest in the most poverty hit communities. But we don't do we? We've done the opposite and crime rates are increasing in those areas. As it always does, everywhere in the world. So I guess some are suggesting that we divert some money from chasing and punishing crime after the event into reducing crime happening in the first place.
    What does "invest in the most poverty hit communities" actually mean? What it seems to mean (and I am admittedly a cynic) is give loads of wedge to Lefty Liberal consultant types to go in and patronise the locals. Oh, and make a few ex-gang leader, knife murderers into group leaders and before you know it they are presenting on Radio 4 and have their own show on Classic FM.

I wonder if a 50% cut in the police antiterrorist budget would cause much of a change?

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    What does "invest in the most poverty hit communities" actually mean? What it seems to mean (and I am admittedly a cynic) is give loads of wedge to Lefty Liberal consultant types to go in and patronise the locals. Oh, and make a few ex-gang leader, knife murderers into group leaders and before you know it they are presenting on Radio 4 and have their own show on Classic FM.
    Hello lovely. It means spend some money on youth centres, youth leaders, mentors, local education centres, extra resources within local schools, community groups, sports centres and activities. All the things that have been hugely cut back on since 2010. It isn't patronising the locals, its providing education, activities and options opposite to crime.

Wow, that’s amazingly naive.

Hello lovely. It means spend some money on youth centres, youth leaders, mentors, local education centres, extra resources within local schools, community groups, sports centres and activities. All the things that have been hugely cut back on since 2010. It isn't patronising the locals, its providing education, activities and options opposite to crime.
    Can’t we just stop the cycle and apply the brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Wow, that’s amazingly naive.
    How so? I believe we have the highest prison population in Europe. Its hugely expensive and most studies of punitive justice systems, unless embedded in a ruthless totalitarian system, show it simply doesn't work. Whereas Glasgow's initiative seemed to have quite a positive impact.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...g-young-people

Happy for rationale argument against this of course but "amazingly naive" seems quite lazy. Why do you think that?

They have in Glasgow.
    Yes, I get that money should be made available like it has in Glasgow. Why should the police be hit with the bill?

Your reply was "Not especially". Surely it would be something along the lines of 'definately not, put money into the communities with a future aim to reduce the police budget due to the lack of crime'?

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    I've said on another thread, there seems to be a constant stream of ex gang members teaching the youngsters why being in a gang is bad. It doesn't seem to be working from the news I watch.

Maybe in Rotherham we could have a 50% reduction in the budget and effort in Operation Stovewood and spend the money on a few youth clubs for the vandals to wreck.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast